Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did Canada scrap customs forms? Or is it airport specific?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)

For at least the last 20 years everyone entering Canada had to complete a customs form. Even if transmitting and spending zero time in Canada and just 5 minutes at a gate....

I most recently did one in October.

At about t-45 to landing today I asked the FA if they were going to hand them out and was told they no longer exist. And I was asked most of the questions (minus $$$, plus was the stuff I declared chocolate, and did I have Cannabis) by a machine in YUL.

Is this just YUL? I nearly always fly into YYZ, my last non YYZ international was YOW which had forms but that was ... a while ago. I don’t recall flying into YUL internationally before.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:44 am

They are in the process of being phased out. No sure how far ahead is the process though. There is even an app you can use now.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: UA MM
YEG is electronic-only now.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
YVR pioneered the use of the PIKs, which are now in use at all major Canadian airports. Increasing numbers of passengers are using the CBSA e-declaration app as well. Paper is passé.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...k-bip-eng.html
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Interesting and thanks for the app too, will need to download that and have my Mom do it too.

Wonder when it’s coming to YYZ. Unless that’s why we were all given paper forms on board and all thrown into the visitor lines back in October. There was a chap doing something to the machines that used to read the paper forms.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
YVR pioneered the use of the PIKs, which are now in use at all major Canadian airports. Increasing numbers of passengers are using the CBSA e-declaration app as well. Paper is passé.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...k-bip-eng.html
Ah interesting, seems to be missing from YYZ T1 though. I wonder if this is why T3 immigration was in complete meltdown due to some new system back in May?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:14 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jc94
Is this just YUL? I nearly always fly into YYZ, my last non YYZ international was YOW which had forms but that was ... a while ago. I don’t recall flying into YUL internationally before.
YOW hasn't used forms in almost 2 years now, I believe we were one of the first to pilot the machines.

Although most United flights still try to hand out the forms, as they're handed them to give out.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
I did a US->Canada connection in YYZ T1 yesterday. AC handed out paper declaration forms on the plane, and there were apparently no kiosks of any kind in the connection area. It was a very quick process, at least when I came through.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

The app is quite good, and it has a list of supported airports. Looks like YYZ T1 is missing at the moment.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
About the missing YYZ T1 Kiosks: According to my sources, they have been installed in YYZ T1 Connections Area, but they are not in use AFAIK. This is due to the fact that YYZ T1 is going through Terminal Remodelling
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA GLD/1MM, Marriott GLD, IHG Spire
Flight attendants passed out paper forms on my last AA flight into YVR on 31 Dec. First time I'd seen one in quite a while. I took one as a nostalgic keepsake but didn't bother filling it out.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
If my memory serves me right I had to do it 10 days back at YYZ. Then I had to insert it into the machine who gave me back a copy of the form I inserted and had to give it to the Border services.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
If I have NEXUS, do I gain anything by using the eDeclaration app, or is there no need for it in the NEXUS kiosks?

Edit: Well, I guess this answers it. You can't use the app with the NEXUS kiosks.

Last edited by Nayef; May 11, 2019 at 8:43 pm Reason: adding info
Old May 12, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: LH M+M
Hmm, was just skimming through the eDeclaration app reviews.. indicating it wont go in YUL for the time being, since Kiosks added a 7th question and the app (just installed) only covers six. Also the code expires in 24h, I'll try the 'renew' tomorrow on FRA-YUL.

Also you've to confirm everything just again? Ohum well.. e-gizmos for just PR "we've an app!"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.