Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Greyhound shuts down in western Canada

All over the news here in western Canada:

One of many stories.

Seattle to Vancouver only route left

is for pulling out, remaining route is good for me.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan
When Acadian Lines shut down in the Maritimes a new entrant jumped in right away. Perhaps the same thing will happen out west.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It's not just the western provinces but includes much of Ontario too. All routes west of Sudbury, Ontario, are cancelled.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
This is a huge loss for western Canada
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:26 am

Oh, this is bad! Not just for passengers, but also for transportation of parcels.

The bus was often the cheapest (and surprisingly fast) way when Canadians had to move long distance.

Via Rail has stopped carrying parcels from non-passengers. So there's nothing left but movers, which are much much more expensive (unless you're moving furniture or large appliances) and have a bad reputation.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sokolov
Oh, this is bad! Not just for passengers, but also for transportation of parcels.

The bus was often the cheapest (and surprisingly fast) way when Canadians had to move long distance.

Via Rail has stopped carrying parcels from non-passengers. So there's nothing left but movers, which are much much more expensive (unless you're moving furniture or large appliances) and have a bad reputation
Didn't even think of that originally, but seems to be covered more in newspapers than on TV news.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Are you kidding me? I just took Edmonton - Calgary buses this May. Also lived in Calgary in the 90s, have a very fond memory of the Greyhound Bus Depot (by CTrain Sunalta), it has died down quite a bit now. In the 90s the bus depot was much livelier, when many more people relied on the services to SK and MB.

First Calgary lost Via Rail Station, and now the bus depot too.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:35 am

The FMM-Edmonton-RedDeer-Calgary-Lethbridge corridor is served by local competitor Red Arrow. But they won't get you to SK or MB.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:12 pm
hln

this is very helpful information, thank you
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:00 pm

I was just looking at Calgary-Lehtbridge, and Red Arrow is more than double the price of Greyhound.

In related news, Red Arrow has added a "Camrose Connector", a smaller bus that connects Camrose to Edmonton, where you can change for other Red Arrow destinations.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:07 pm

I just found another bus company operating in Alberta: Ebus has been running Calgary - Red Deer - Edmonton for a while. They are adding a daily trip in October.
https://myebus.ca/news/calgary-edmonton-service

They will also add a route from Edmonton to Fort McMurray five times a week, with an additional run every ten days.
https://myebus.ca/Edmonton-fortmcMurray
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:35 pm

Silver City Stage Lines has received permission to run a shuttle from Kelowna via Grand Forks and Castlegar to Nelson, BC.
http://www.ptboard.bc.ca/application...ecision-AM.pdf

Rider Express Transportation has applied to provide "passenger service between BC, Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario".
http://www.ptboard.bc.ca/application...18-summary.pdf

Whistler Rides wants to upgrade their Vancouver-Whistler-shuttle by extending it to Pemberton, and adding stops on the way, "such as Squamish, Horseshoe Bay".
http://www.ptboard.bc.ca/application...on-Summary.pdf
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:05 pm

I used Greyhound for the first time the other week, going from Calgary to Lethbridge. It was great!

Except that Calgary Transit does not grace the huge Greyhound station with a useful service, so I had to take a taxi to get there. Then it's no wonder the weren't a lot of passengers.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sokolov
I used Greyhound for the first time the other week, going from Calgary to Lethbridge. It was great!

Except that Calgary Transit does not grace the huge Greyhound station with a useful service, so I had to take a taxi to get there. Then it's no wonder the weren't a lot of passengers.
Just looked at Google Maps, and it looks like Sunalta Light Rail station is just south of Bow Trail with a pedestrian bridge connection.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

A much better 3 D view on Google Maps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.