Wiki Posts
Search

Whistler in October

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Whistler in October

My wife and I have managed to negotiate a week of childcare with the 'in-laws' for our 3 year old. With this week of freedom we want to travel from LHR-YVR in order to enjoy a week of hiking and trail riding in and around Whistler.

My question is...will any lifts be open? Can't find any information anywhere so does anyone on FT have experience of this? What should we look to do, what should we avoid?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by flyingjonny
My wife and I have managed to negotiate a week of childcare with the 'in-laws' for our 3 year old. With this week of freedom we want to travel from LHR-YVR in order to enjoy a week of hiking and trail riding in and around Whistler.

My question is...will any lifts be open? Can't find any information anywhere so does anyone on FT have experience of this? What should we look to do, what should we avoid?
Definitely! October is one of my favorite months in Whistler. We spend much of the summer/fall up there and there is tons of things to do. Mr. Fink mountain bikes right up until the end of October every year. Last summer, the bike park closed around October 9 but you can ride the trails until much later. The Peak to Peak is amazing.
https://www.whistler.com/activities/summer/
Attached Images  

Last edited by Finkface; Feb 17, 2018 at 5:42 pm
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Yes, there will be lifts open but probably not all of them. Glacier skiing is available if that's what you're looking for.

You may want to check this out.

https://www.whistler.com/blog/post/2...-things-to-do/
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Yes, there will be lifts open but probably not all of them. Glacier skiing is available if that's what you're looking for.
There is no lift serviced glacier skiing in October. Skiing on the Horstman glacier is for a limited period usually late-June to early August, conditions permitting. Most of the glacier will be taken over with ski camps. There is a limited area for public skiing with a short time window, ski camps are allowed to start earlier so they get the best snow.

Overall there are no lifts running on Whistler, biking or sightseeing, past Canadian Thanksgiving. As Finkface mentioned you can continue to ride on public bike trails in Whistler valley but if you want lift serviced downhill biking you are out of luck past Thanksgiving.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I should have specified that glacier skiing is available via helicopter.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I should have specified that glacier skiing is available via helicopter.
In October? You'll be hard pressed to find heli services that will take you to a glacier at this time of year. If it is early October you are counting on a deep snowbase to be left over from the summer. Not this year.

If it is later October you may get some new snowfall but this presents a serious avalanche danger. Not enough time for snow to bind with the base. Basically in October there is no reliable skiing in Whistler and surrounding areas.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: QF, HH
If I may ask here: what's a nicer place for someone like me who isn't so keen on common expensive touristy things but nonetheless loves the outdoors and a cosey fire at the end of a long day out and about – Whistler, Banff or Jasper?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by Catweazle
If I may ask here: what's a nicer place for someone like me who isn't so keen on common expensive touristy things but nonetheless loves the outdoors and a cosey fire at the end of a long day out and about – Whistler, Banff or Jasper?
You'd probably like Canmore. It's just outside the Banff National Park gates so it's more town than tourist trap. Plenty of hikes around town but close enough to Banff, Lake Louise and the Icefields Parkway to do any number of day trips. Hotels tend to be cheaper there too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.