Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

US Citizens asked to fill out ID form before flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Citizens asked to fill out ID form before flying?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by B407
I fly AC on MCO-YYZ quite frequently and have never experienced or witnessed this before.
This was on Air Canada Rouge, if it makes a difference.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Air Canada is the only airline who does this silly nonsense - they claim it's a US govt regulation, that every airline does it, etc etc. It's a relic from the past, no one does it anymore, but Air Canada just insists on continuing this stupidity on transborder flights. If you use a Nexus card, they don't know if you're a US or Canadian citizen at the gate and won't bother you with it. When flying to/from the US I check-in with my US passport, but show my Nexus card or Canadian passport at boarding so I can ignore the form.
What happens if you check in online with your nexus card? That's what I did and was asked this. Other us citizen non nexus holders were asked the same thing. Just seems so bizarre why it wasn't collected at online check in if needed and why my Porter flights never had called for something like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just curious, which other airlines do this? I was never asked by SQ, NH, MU, OZ, LH, any US carrier,
SK has it in its booking system.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by xobile
Only in that your experience was horrific instead of just bad.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What happens if you check in online with your nexus card? That's what I did and was asked this. Other us citizen non nexus holders were asked the same thing. Just seems so bizarre why it wasn't collected at online check in if needed and why my Porter flights never had called for something like this.
It may be because in my initial NEXUS interview, they put my Canadian passport as primary and the US passport as secondary, but honestly not sure - however if I show the NEXUS card at boarding, I'm never asked - they just assume anyone with NEXUS is Canadian, I guess.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:45 pm

Sorry, that's what I meant, Don't think there has been any AC mainline to MCO in a while now.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I doubt that this is just a Canada matter. It sounds more like a US matter.

It sounds like the emergency contact form that some airlines still use sometimes for flights to/from the US, as part of a US Government requirement so that in the event of an international flight disaster the USG can make contact with the representative assigned by the US citizen passengers to be the emergency contact.
Yes ... that's definitely what it was. Just a simple (and old school) way of collecting the names of emergency contact.

Still quite common for many international flights to/from the U.S., including to/from Canada.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Here we go again

Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I fly to YUL every month on AA, DL, AC for the past several years. Have not been asked for emergency contact information at the airport ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.