Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entry to Canada: Failure to Declare

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Entry to Canada: Failure to Declare

My question to the forum concerns the potential effect of a failure to declare on my record and entry into Canada. I have a trip planned to South America coming up in February that goes through Toronto. Because my flight is early in the morning, I am planning to stay overnight in Toronto and then head to the airport the following day. My concern is, this past August I was accused of failure to declare liquor that I purchased at the duty free at the Windsor tunnel. The incident arose from a misunderstanding between me and the agent, and a poor judgment call on my part. The result of the incident was, they confiscated my NEXUS card (lost my GE), but I was allowed to pay a higher duty to keep the liquor. All in all, a lesson learned. The agents did tell me I would be subject to secondary upon entering the USA for the foreseeable future. I have gone on 2 international trips since then. The only consequence was I get the X, get sent to secondary and they ask me a few questions (all conveniently targeted toward, "do you have alcohol") and then I am let through. Total waiting time is less than 20m in both cases.

I think I am being a bit paranoid about having any issues, but will the Canadian border patrol see that I have been flagged as well? I know they share database with the US. I would expect similar treatment, as in perhaps they want to search me, but should I expect issues entering Canada? I am just wondering if I should adapt my travel plans to this reality. I have no criminal record of any kind, no DUI(s), and have entered and left Canada several times in the past.

I suppose as a final question, has anyone else been hit with a failure to declare? is this something that ever gets expunged or does it stick with you? I don't really care all that much, as I stated it hasn't resulted in any increased wait times thus far but I am curious to know.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:43 pm

YMMV, I have a family member who got caught with a failure to declare in Canada and has never been sent to secondary after that time they got caught.

Worse case scenario, they'll search all your belongings at secondary.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
From your post and profile, I can't tell where you are resident. It sounds like you are entering Canada in the evening, therefore you will have lots of time to deal with secondary if it were to come to happen. There are no physical exit or passport controls when departing Canada.
--
13F
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
From your post and profile, I can't tell where you are resident. It sounds like you are entering Canada in the evening, therefore you will have lots of time to deal with secondary if it were to come to happen. There are no physical exit or passport controls when departing Canada.
--
13F
I should have stated I am a US Citizen. I will be arriving in the morning, spending one night in Toronto and then departing the next day. I appreciate your advice. It sounds like the worst I can expect is a secondary inspection. Not different from when I come back to the USA.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Were you going back to the US at the Detriot Windsor tunnel and charged by US CBP?
If it s in the US CBP record it might not be in the CBSA database.
I have relative in Detriot and my wife is from Windsor. What were you thinking buying booze in Windsor with the much higher price? Even street price in Detriot is cheaper than the duty-free shops. If you were trying to take advantage of the sale to 19yrs+ in Ontario vs 21 in Michigan you will be nailed if caught unless there are enough "adults" in the vehicle to match the amount of booze.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

I was going back to the USA from Windsor. I bought the booze at the duty free store which is many times cheaper than us prices. I had done it before many times but always declared so had no issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.