Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto - Montreal - Boston roadtrip on december, bad idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My cousins are going to come for vacation on December. We're planning a roadtrip from Philly - Niagara Falls - Toronto - Montreal - Boston - Philly. We'll be driving my rwd BMW with new winter tires. I also have AAA membership. Will this be enough for the winter road condition? Any tips or advice?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Should be fine, since that will mostly be US Interstate/Canadian equivalents. Be a little careful about the route you pick Montreal to Boston through whichever part of the White Mountains/Green Mountains/Adirondacks/Berkshires you end up going through, and be prepared in case a bad snowstorm causes closures/delays/significant detours. Winter tires are required by law in Quebec for Quebec residents December-March, so as you've already seen it is definitely a good idea to have them. If snow is bad, the best route is probably QC 10 to QC 55 (crossing at Derby Line, VT/Stanstead, QC) to I-91 all the way down to I-90, but I-91 to I-89 at White River Junction, VT then onto I-93 in Bow, NH "should" be fine. If weather is good and you have the time, take the same route but get onto I-93 in Vermont, then go south on I-93 through Franconia Notch, or better go south on US 302 through Crawford Notch.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
There is a good chance for snowfall on your route in December. If you stick to major highways, they tend to get cleared reasonably well but you may still face issues on city roads, especially those with some grade.

I have driven a rwd BMW on snow before and I found that as long as the road was level and I drove prudently, I was fine. The moment I tried to get up a hill, though, the ESP detected a loss of traction and just shut the rear wheels down - so I was stuck.

A fwd car would ease your mind.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli

A fwd car would ease your mind.
Well, it's either the RWD BMW with winter tires or Camry with all season tires.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by 9Benua
Well, it's either the RWD BMW with winter tires or Camry with all season tires.
I'd probably decide based on the weather forecast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.