Search

Recommendations for 1 week in Montreal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asia Miles, Krisflyer
Recommendations for 1 week in Montreal

Hey guys,

Will be travelling to Montreal sometime early March for a week. Have never been there before so any recommendations on what to eat/do will be greatly welcomed!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'd still say the city is short of heritage (better than where you're from) so you can cover that in a day or two. There are a lot of newer sights depending on what you want to see/your interests.

Food, there is a thread on Toqu that some still believe might be the best restaurant in Canada (certainly would have Michelin macaroons if Michelin rated Canada). Smoked beef sandwiches. I prefer The Main over the more-famous Schwartz. For heavy food eaten by peasant Qubecois of old, try Au Pied du Cochon. Food is very heavy there.

I wager it will still be cold, much colder than what you're used to so get warm wear and don't forget your feet unless you're going to live in the underground city and don't plan to wander too far from that.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I'd still say the city is short of heritage (better than where you're from) so you can cover that in a day or two. ...
Surely you jest, or perhaps you haven't visited extensively. Montreal is oozing heritage.

To the OP, I suggest you search Montreal in this forum. There have been many threads on restaurants and sites to see.
--
13F
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
All relative! I'm one of those who doesn't consider anything built in the past 2 centuries real heritage.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!

Want to ask as well, if anyone has any idea how long will it take to clear immigration and collect checked baggage at YUL? I'll be landing on a monday around 12.30pm on Delta F
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by alastairloh
Thanks for the advice!

Want to ask as well, if anyone has any idea how long will it take to clear immigration and collect checked baggage at YUL? I'll be landing on a monday around 12.30pm on Delta F
Much slower than Changi, but not as bad as YYZ. I would allow 20-30 mins.
--
13F
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Hey guys,

Will be travelling to Montreal sometime early March for a week. Have never been there before so any recommendations on what to eat/do will be greatly welcomed!
What are your interests? Feel free to PM me if you want some recos. I've lived here my whole life.

ETA: Oh, and the Montreal en Lumiere festival is on until March 11th. Worth checking out if you're here. Music, arts, restaurant and foodie experiences, and the Nuit Blanche all-nighter.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Much slower than Changi, but not as bad as YYZ. I would allow 20-30 mins.
--
13F
And i would assume it takes another half hour to get to old Montreal area from the airport?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:40 pm

And i would assume it takes another half hour to get to old Montreal area from the airport?
Depends on the time of day. It's 20-30 minutes if there's no traffic. If there's traffic it could be quite a bit longer. The Turcot / 720E are under construction at the moment, so it could take a bit longer. (Montreal is perpetually under construction, but lately it's particularly bad, thanks to the flurry of construction projects linked to the upcoming 375th celebrations.) If you're arriving at 12:30pm on a Monday, it shouldn't be *too* bad... but you never know.

Actual map of the island of Montreal showing the construction projects taking place, current as of a few months ago. There's a reason why our city's unofficial symbol is the orange construction cone.

Short version: Once you're downtown, try not to drive if you can avoid it. The city's fairly compact and most sites can be reached on foot -- yes, even in winter -- or by metro.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
All relative! I'm one of those who doesn't consider anything built in the past 2 centuries real heritage.
List of historic places in Montreal. The list includes more than a dozen older than 200 years. ;-)
--
13F
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Also headed to Montreal the last week of April. First visit! Being looking forward to this for a long time. I have a US chip credit card (no pin). Will this work there? Also, can anyone recommend a good website with an event calendar? Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:53 pm

@JeffK69 : I tried to respond to your private message, but I got an error saying you couldn't receive PMs. Let me know if there's another way to reach you.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: UA-1K--1MM, SPG- Titanium, HH-Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle, Global Entry
I believe I have corrected the setting, my apologies. I PM'd you, hoping it worked, please reply there.

Originally Posted by segacs
@JeffK69 : I tried to respond to your private message, but I got an error saying you couldn't receive PMs. Let me know if there's another way to reach you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.