Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't skinny dip in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Can't skinny dip in Canada?

I am in Toronto, Canada. This is my first trip to the land of the maples and I am in love with it. My friends and I are on a two-week tour. A friend here has invited to his farm in Ontario. He told me that they have a beautiful pond.
I wanted to skinny dip in the lake with my friends. But, I came to know that skinny dipping is illegal in Canada in a blog. < broken link removed by moderator> I was surprised to hear this from a country like Canada. In Germany, we have beaches and lakes that are clothes optional.
Is it true that even going topless is punishable? From what I heard this pond is hidden from the public view. I am not disappointed but, it would have been a memorable day for us. Please, share your thoughts.

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 14, 2016 at 7:07 am Reason: Broken link removed by moderator
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:09 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moved to Canada forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Public indecency is illegal in Canada. Mere nudity is not considered indecent per se, it depends on the circumstances. There is even fact an officially sanctioned "clothing optional" beach in Toronto. On the other hand, strolling down the street in the nude would be likely to result in involvement of the police.

At any rate, a pond on a private property in a rural area is not a public place, so feel free to do whatever you like there. It isn't illegal and regardless, nobody will care.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: FT
walk around the streets topless and there is no issue if you want.

agreed. not illegal and agreed, no one will care.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The public nudity (or semi-dressed) issue isn't as restrictive here as in the U.S. but it certainly isn't anything like it is in Germany (no FKK here). As previously noted, it is matter of undefined public indecency.

While not permitted for the most part, no one will care if you partake discreetly or at least decently.

Originally Posted by Rosemary22
Is it true that even going topless is punishable?
It was at one time until some law forbidding it was successfully challenged in Ontario in 1991. That does not extend to other jurisdictions though.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The public nudity (or semi-dressed) issue isn't as restrictive here as in the U.S. but it certainly isn't anything like it is in Germany (no FKK here). As previously noted, it is matter of undefined public indecency.

While not permitted for the most part, no one will care if you partake discreetly or at least decently.

It was at one time until some law forbidding it was successfully challenged in Ontario in 1991. That does not extend to other jurisdictions though.
Precedentially, no. Persuasively, absolutely!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Rosemary22
But, I came to know that skinny dipping is illegal in Canada in a blog
Vancouver has a very popular clothing-optional beach.

It's very busy in the summer.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:15 pm

If the pond is on private property, you can skinny dip if the owner is ok with it. It is public Nudity (other than topless in ON) that is an issue
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:11 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
one thing i noticed about canadians is that if you do any rulebreaking like having a beer while driving, jaywalking, bringing a dog on to a patio, exiting said patio thru the shortest path via the "emergency exit", skinny dipping, not forming a line, parking on the "wrong side" of the street, everyone--including your friends--will call you out on it, or at the very least get very nervous. canadians are very "orderly" (uptight) that way. just do whatever you want. all they will do is snitch on you to the police or something passive aggressive.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
one thing i noticed about canadians is that if you do any rulebreaking like having a beer while driving, jaywalking, bringing a dog on to a patio, exiting said patio thru the shortest path via the "emergency exit", skinny dipping, not forming a line, parking on the "wrong side" of the street, everyone--including your friends--will call you out on it, or at the very least get very nervous. canadians are very "orderly" (uptight) that way. just do whatever you want. all they will do is snitch on you to the police or something passive aggressive.
Really? You think it is acceptable to drink a beer whilst driving? That sort of 'rule breaking' kills people. Skinny dipping not so much (and plenty of Canadians skinny dip, either on clothing optional beaches (like at the Toronto Islands) on private property, or simply late at night, quietly in any number of locations. Although skinny dipping in October / November doesn't really hold much appeal, given it has already been minus temperatures overnight here.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
You are all missing the problem. Nudity is not the issue. The real problem is swimming in a pond in Ontario at the end of October. Brrrr!

But if you are used to swimming in the North Sea, maybe it won't feel so cold.
--
13F
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Part of me thinks this is trolling...

But rest assured there is plenty of skinny dipping in cottage country in Canada and no one is going to stop it.

<ahhh, fond memories...>
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:47 am

Maybe the poster meant drinking beer while being ng driven. I.e. not the driver but a passenger.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by sokolov
Maybe the poster meant drinking beer while being ng driven. I.e. not the driver but a passenger.
Open bottle is moving vehicle is illegal in ON.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Open bottle is moving vehicle is illegal in ON.
Exactly. That's the point.

He was not talking about the DRIVER drinking - which is obviously bad - but someone ELSE in the vehicle having a beer, which doesn't cause issues in other countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.