Reload this Page >

US customs labor action at YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US customs labor action at YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Thursday morning YVR pre clearance was fine, quick & easy.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by entropy
I really wish they'd just treaty up a common customs zone between Canada and the US, it would really make a lot of sense.
No thanks - Canada does not want all of the guns and other prohibited weapons coming in from the US
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Of course, but border security should probably be considered an essential service and for good reason. And keep in mind we're talking about pressure tactics, not a full on strike.
Services I use are considered essential to me.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by entropy
The most obnoxious CBP officers I've encountered were at YUL and YVR. Haven't had any issues at YYZ.

I really wish they'd just treaty up a common customs zone between Canada and the US, it would really make a lot of sense.
No one compares to the agent at YYZ who took great delight in being as nasty as possible, raising her voice, throwing her power around etc. Threatening manner. Told me where to stand and then yelled at me for standing there. This was in secondary. Sent there because I was honest and declared my sandwich. Thankfully have never seen her again.

You also don't want to meet the YYZ agent who did my first Nexus interview. He was shouting at everyone there for their interviews and quite rude. Absolutely no privacy, everyone present heard everything. Grabbed my hand for the finger print without any warning. Felt like five years of inspections at once.

On the other hand, agents who did Nexus renewal interview were terrific and helpful. Couldn't say enough good things about them.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Bartolo

No one compares to the agent at YYZ who took great delight in being as nasty as possible, raising her voice, throwing her power around etc. Threatening manner. Told me where to stand and then yelled at me for standing there. This was in secondary. Sent there because I was honest and declared my sandwich. Thankfully have never seen her again.

You also don't want to meet the YYZ agent who did my first Nexus interview. He was shouting at everyone there for their interviews and quite rude. Absolutely no privacy, everyone present heard everything. Grabbed my hand for the finger print without any warning. Felt like five years of inspections at once.

On the other hand, agents who did Nexus renewal interview were terrific and helpful. Couldn't say enough good things about them.
When me and couple of friends decided to go across the border from Niagara for some shopping(ChromeCast before it was for sale in Canada)
This is before I become a CDN citizen, they told each one of us to bring certain paper from my car separately while holding a sign of "not cleared, do not let out of sight", as I was walking to the parking lot with the sign in my hand, the three guards with AR was literally staring me with their hand close to the trigger near by.

I felt like secret spy in a hollywood movie, we were questioned again and again and it took hours longer than it should been, it was ridiculous.
All that trouble for a $35 chromecast, lol.

I would have screamed if he or she out of nowhere just grab my hand. :P

YYZ generally felt pretty nice compare to the experiences I had at other clearance, the line-up however....

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 11, 2016 at 1:24 pm
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by sweden05
A friend is telling me that YYZ US customs is massively backed up today due to labor action. Many agents didn't show up and many global entry terminals were out of service. Two hour waits, flight delays, etc.

Any more news on this and whether it's a one-day thing?
Disgusting.
Is there an industry more impacted by a malcontent, quick to strike workforce than aviation?

I mean, seriously. If you book and travel without the threat of, or actual, disruptive job action somewhere in your journey, you've basically hit the life lottery.

Ridiculous. We need a fleet of robots that can do these jobs - fly jets, service jets, cater flight, checkin, etc.
First sign of job action that will adversely impact the innocent, paying, travelling public we fire everyone in the group not willing to work and replace with the robots.

Think it's time for a kick-starter here.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Disgusting.
Is there an industry more impacted by a malcontent, quick to strike workforce than aviation?
Having lived in Toronto back in the day, I do remember my fair share of garbage strikes (including that time the Pope visited), TTC strikes (including the wildcat strike), teacher strikes (some bill 1xx in 1997/98 when Mike Harris was premier), ....
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:36 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by rehoult
6/6 out of service 12 hours later

Everyone seeing an agent without a card filled out, thankfully they didn't care.
you don't have to fill out the blue cbp card if you're global entry. even the commissionaires in yyc know this

Why are you mixing CBSA and CBP together? Per the thread title, we're not talking about CBSA here...

FWIW the dozens of CBP officers I've interacted with at YYZ and YUL have all been professional and courteous. YVR, not so much. If OP is correct, it's a shame they're playing games with people's time, money and travel plans.
Not cool
because
1) the cbsa actually goes on strike because they're actually unionized
2) this is about cbp allegedly taking action
3) therefore i respect one agency and its employees a lot more

and i doubt that what the op said is true. cbp has been experiencing short staffing for years, now canadian airports are feeling the brunt. get used to it.

Of course, but border security should probably be considered an essential service and for good reason. And keep in mind we're talking about pressure tactics, not a full on strike.
it is an essential service in the usa. they can't strike. nor can they form a union. but in canada

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/yyc-border...kout-1.2071046
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/10/25...carry-firearms
http://www.canadianshipper.com/trans...ay/1000033754/
plus the countless other walkouts at land borders.

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Customs' got nothing to do with it. The issue is immigration.
um customs has everything to do with it. the usa doesn't mind imports from canada but canada is absurd with what they allow. wondered why you can't import more than 8 pounds of cheese at a time? or why they freak out over alleve being brought in? or the famous canadian banned book list

Originally Posted by D582
No thanks - Canada does not want all of the guns and other prohibited weapons coming in from the US
yeah you're right, it's much better to buy them from your local hells angels chapter.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
On a side note -

Had my NEXUS card renewed yesterday. Was in/out in 15 minutes ahead of the scheduled appointment time. ^
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Bartolo

I was denied entry 10 years ago, by an INS agent (lady) who was abusive, rude, demeaning and really, a waste of human genes. This was while applying for a TN (my 7th renewal).

I ended up working with a Buffalo immigration lawyer; drove to Peace Bridge. The INS agent there looked up my file, and commented that this had happened before with this individual, and then proceeded to erase the details that she had type in about me.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:16 am
cur

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I was denied entry 10 years ago, by an INS agent (lady) who was abusive, rude, demeaning and really, a waste of human genes. This was while applying for a TN (my 7th renewal).

I ended up working with a Buffalo immigration lawyer; drove to Peace Bridge. The INS agent there looked up my file, and commented that this had happened before with this individual, and then proceeded to erase the details that she had type in about me.
7 TN renewals though, that's really pushing it
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by cur
7 TN renewals though, that's really pushing it
Why? I'm on my 7th and nobody at CBP gave me a hard time about it.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:17 am
cur

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
Why? I'm on my 7th and nobody at CBP gave me a hard time about it.
You're right. It's indefinitely renewable. But it's also a temporary workers visa and not a pathway to residency, and having a large portion of your career spent in the us working under that can be reasonably understood by a leo to be not temporary. I'm likely to work under a TN visa with long term intent so I'm happy you had 7x without incident, but my understanding from online immigration forums is that 5-6 renewals is pushing it.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cur
because
1) the cbsa actually goes on strike because they're actually unionized
2) this is about cbp allegedly taking action
3) therefore i respect one agency and its employees a lot more
So instead of addressing the alleged pressure tactics by the CBP you'd rather throw mud at the CBSA because they're unionized and you respect them less. Got it.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD

Had my NEXUS card renewed yesterday. Was in/out in 15 minutes ahead of the scheduled appointment time. ^
Same for me at YYC last week.

New card arrived within a week too BTW.

I initially had an appointment in August. Less than a week before a planned trip. Kept checking for earlier dates, nothing for quite a while. Then suddenly, one spot the next day. Grabbed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.