Search

Need basic help with trip Toronto to Quebec City

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:54 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Need basic help with trip Toronto to Quebec City

We are looking to spend some time along the Toronto to Ottawa to Quebec roadway, before a cruise. We are seniors living near SAN. We will be returning home from NY. Trip will all occur in September 2016. We will have about 2 weeks to do the drive.

Flights to Toronto...have UA, AA and AS miles...suggestions as to the best for easy flight? (leaving time, minimal stops and shortest time total?).

From Toronto we want to see the Falls. Willing to take a bus tour or drive. Not sure what makes sense. Suggestions? Hotel? Other sites in Toronto we might like to visit include: Ripley's Aquarium of Canada, Toronto Zoo, Royal Ontario Museum, Casa Loma, Gardin.. Museum, Spadina Museum, and the Toronto Train museum.

Rental car. We have rented lots of cars but as to Canada, only in Western Canada. Are there any problems renting one way? Drop fees. We usually rent a mid size car.

From Toronto we would like to go to Ottawa. We are considering seeing the National War Museum, Peace Tower and Parliament Building, Notre Dame Basilica and perhaps the Canadian Museum of Nature (too kidsy?).

In Montreal, if we add wine tour, Laurention Mountains, Discover Cruise and perhaps 2 days hop on and off bus? Needed more time to select places.

On to Quebec City. Option one, say outside city and drive to AP on day of cruise (we have transport to ship from AP). Option two drive into Quebec City and spend one or two nights and do ?

We usually stay at Holliday Inn Express (IHG), Hyatt Place, Marriott (any) and seek parking/breakfast included when possible. Are there similar Canadian Chain that match up?

We are open to suggestion. We do not do nights. Like museums, but not so much into Art, or ones dominated by yelling children. A few key churches, war memorials and all of the zoos and animal rescue type places. We can also use some suggestions as to eating (not dining). We are as apt to have a subway sandwich and a bottle of wine are anything for dinner or lunch!

As you can see we have done a little, but have a long way to go in our planning. Soon an earlier trip will be "in the way", poor us.

Appreciate any help we can get.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
You still have time to sort it all out.
Dropping off a rental car should not be a problem, might just add an extra drop-off charge.

Not directly answering all your questions. I would prefer to drive to Niagara Falls if I already have a rental car. There are plenty of metered parking spots near the Falls. In fact, you might want to stay overnight right there.

In Toronto, among other things you want to do and see, not to miss a ferry ride to the islands on Lake Ontario.

Here is a link to a travel journal on a very similar trip as yours. Might be helpful:

https://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Trav...nada-Road-Trip

Cheers
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:09 pm

Drop fees might be pretty expensive. If you have any, you could use National free days to redeem a one-way from Toronto to Quebec City to save quite a bit. Driving into the city in Montreal or Quebec City might be a problem as everything is signposted only in French.

Toronto Zoo is definitely recommended as Montreal does not really have one close to the city. The drive to the Laurentians will take about 3 hours or more round trip from the city. Traffic on the A15 north from the city can get pretty bad during weekdays. A smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz's Deli and a poutine at La Banquise are popular options when visiting.

As for hotels, our only national local chains are Fairmont and Delta (now owned by Marriott). In Montreal, I would recommend the Embassy Suites ideally located in Old Montreal. If the $25/day parking or so is too much, the Fairfield Inn at the airport is pretty decent. If you want to head to the Laurentians, staying in Laval might be a good idea as you would bypass the traffic leaving the city. In Quebec City, I really enjoyed the Holiday Inn Express Sainte Foy which was only a short drive to downtown.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:22 pm
B1

I live in Toronto and use VIA Rail to go to Ottawa and Montreal. If you fly to Toronto, take the UP train to Union and get a hotel downtown. You don't need a car in Toronto and can be kept busy downtown with museums, stores, and the lakefront. You can take a bus trip to Niagara - the drive is not pleasant. Buy tickets on VIA Rail Business Class in advance and go to Ottawa. It's very comfortable on the faster trains.You can walk or cab easily in Ottawa. Then take a train to Montreal. When you are ready to go on to Quebec, rent a car for the excursions you plan. Again, there's plenty to do without renting a car - excellent transit. There's good train service to Quebec as well and the city is compact if you stay downtown. A car will be a problem in most parts of the city. So, my advice is to take it easy and skip the driving. Of course, car rentals are available and there is parking - but it's very expensive. In all my trips to Ottawa and Montreal, I never had a car. When I've been in Quebec, I had a car because I was going to Gaspe, but I didn't need it at all in Quebec. And then you get your boat and are not exhausted. No dropoff fees and no problem.
Air Canada's flight are on Rouge, which is more crowded than their regular airline but it is nonstop and better than any US airline and UA miles can be used. All the others require changes. AA can get you here via Dallas, which is a reasonable hub. Avoid ORD. If you use UA, try for Denver.

Last edited by B1; Apr 7, 2016 at 2:30 pm
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
I agree with most of what B1 had to say. This is what I would do:

Land in YYZ, take the new Pearson Express train downtown. Other than Niagara and the Zoo, everything else on your list can be seen via the hop-on/hop-off bus, or by using local transit (subway, tram, bus). The drive to the Falls is not great, stressful even, but if you do go by car, you could also visit Niagara-on-the-Lake and maybe visit a winery.

YYZ-YOW: take the train, or fly Porter from the Toronto Island Airport.

YOW: we have a hop-on/hop-off bus which covers the sights you are interested in. The Museum of Nature is worth it for the architecture, and the dinosaurs. But there are also other museums: Museum of History, Aviation Museum, National Gallery (across from the Basilica), Bytown Museum (very small, beside the Rideau Canal locks).

YOW-YUL: train

YUL: car not needed, unless you want to visit the Laurentian mountains (1 hr north) or wine country (1 hr south). Getting in and out of Montreal (or on and off the island) can be an adventure depending on the day of the week and the time of the day. Ask for guidance.
Montreal Churches: Notre Dame in old Montreal, Marie-Reine-du-Monde on Rene-Levesque and Oratoire-St-Joseph on the northwest side of Mount Royal. The Oratory is a striking art deco building with a fascinating story. You can get very close by Metro.

YUL-YQB: train or bus.

YQB: there is a great Marriott Courtyard just outside the walls of the old city, also Hilton and Delta. The belle of Quebec is the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac, the most photographed hotel in the world. You can visit the city on foot. Suggest you rent a car, or do a bus tour to Ile-d'Orleans and Montmorency Falls. If churches are your thing, continue past Montmorency to Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre, a huge church and pilgrimage site.

Best Quebec tip: Visit the Citadelle.
Top secret tip: tell the ticket office you want the tour of the Governor-General's summer residence. It is free-of-charge and you will not have to pay to enter the Citadelle. (Was the case when I visited.) You may still need to pay if you are there for the changing-of-the-guard ceremony.
--
13F
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA, LAN, HH, IHG
Originally Posted by ranles
We are looking to spend some time along the Toronto to Ottawa to Quebec roadway, before a cruise. We are seniors living near SAN. We will be returning home from NY. Trip will all occur in September 2016. We will have about 2 weeks to do the drive....
In Toronto, take advantage of the Toronto CityPass, it covers all the major attractions at a great discount. One area that I absolutely fell in love with was the Bruce Peninsula National Park/Tobermory. Stunning views, crystal emerald waters.... About 3.5 hrs from Toronto.
Old Quebec is absolutely charming, definitely 1-2 days. You can also do Montmorency Falls Park while in Quebec.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by genie00
In Toronto, take advantage of the Toronto CityPass, it covers all the major attractions at a great discount.
+1
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you all for you suggestions.

Will check out the flights into Toronto.

Still not sure of renting a car and driving to the falls, but I really feel better about it having your help. Staying near the fall one night might be nice as well. Keeping the car in Toronto seems viable, but I am getting concern beyond. We also use hop-on and off, but either way we pay while spending hours in a zoo or a museum.

Would like to hear more about the train, between the Cities. WE are 71. We will have 2 roller-bags, a garment bag and likely 2 small back packs. How does one handle luggage on the train (physically on and off). My wife is not much of a lifter. Does the train leave from the Airport in Toronto? Does in go into the cities? or a central station. Especially wonder about Quebec City as to AP.

Unlike the road trip presented, we will be Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and then Quebec City. We neither read nor speak any French (except for modest courtesy phases and words). I am comfortable driving, but do need to avoid being a hazard to others, checking out signs. this is the only reason I ask about the trains, above.

We will be in Denmark in May for 3 full days and will not have a car. We will get the Copenhagen card and use the train and metro to get around. We plan to do similar things there as we speak of here. We are posting at the AP Hilton, but only because we have a very early flight. If our flight was later we would likely have planned to stay in town. We do not have to deal with our luggage and the train, as we are exiting a cruise, taking a tour bus that eventually drops us off at the Hilton Airport where we will check in.

Last edited by ranles; Apr 9, 2016 at 7:08 pm Reason: Omission
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
VIA 1

Yeah, I live in YOW and take VIA trains a lot. IMO, travelling with lots of luggage can be a challenge. Try VIA 1 and/or hire a porter in the station.

The Toronto Int'l Film Festival is on in September. If the dates overlap, accommodation can be a challenge (PM me if this is a thing).

I agree with the GG thing and it can become a bit of a theme.......The GG lives in Ottawa, and that time of year you can visit the official residence for a tour. Either book on line - or - just show up.

Parliament Hill is kinda like the NPS in the US. Show up at 09:00 to claim free tour tickets (if not, they are all gone by 13:00).
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:23 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you Antonio8069 Our arrival in Quebec City would be at the latest Sept 17, date of ship departure. We have transport from AP. We can be there sooner, based on planning some activities in QC. The trip from Toronto can start any time from early September. It can start later if this is a problem, and we will visit the "mid-trip" areas on another visit.

I will check to see when this festival occurs. Sept 8-18th.

Last edited by ranles; Apr 9, 2016 at 11:31 pm Reason: Date of festival
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by ranles
Thank you all for you suggestions.

Will check out the flights into Toronto.

Still not sure of renting a car and driving to the falls, but I really feel better about it having your help. Staying near the fall one night might be nice as well. Keeping the car in Toronto seems viable, but I am getting concern beyond. We also use hop-on and off, but either way we pay while spending hours in a zoo or a museum.

Would like to hear more about the train, between the Cities. WE are 71. We will have 2 roller-bags, a garment bag and likely 2 small back packs. How does one handle luggage on the train (physically on and off). My wife is not much of a lifter. Does the train leave from the Airport in Toronto? Does in go into the cities? or a central station. Especially wonder about Quebec City as to AP.

Unlike the road trip presented, we will be Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and then Quebec City. We neither read nor speak any French (except for modest courtesy phases and words). I am comfortable driving, but do need to avoid being a hazard to others, checking out signs. this is the only reason I ask about the trains, above.

We will be in Denmark in May for 3 full days and will not have a car. We will get the Copenhagen card and use the train and metro to get around. We plan to do similar things there as we speak of here. We are posting at the AP Hilton, but only because we have a very early flight. If our flight was later we would likely have planned to stay in town. We do not have to deal with our luggage and the train, as we are exiting a cruise, taking a tour bus that eventually drops us off at the Hilton Airport where we will check in.
There is the Union Pearson Express train that goes from the airport to the train station. Honestly, taking a limousine (Aerofleet) might be around the same price and might be more comfortable.

Unfortunately, there is no checked baggage on the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal trains so you might have to request help. If lifting is an issue, renting a car from the airport is most likely the least stressful option.

Driving in Montreal isn't too bad outside of downtown as parking and one-way streets are the main problem with a lack of French. The only major rule is no right turns on red lights on the island.

I took the train from CPH to the main train station in Copenhagen with luggage. It's pretty uncomfortable during the busy periods as the trains are packed as many of them carry commuters from Malmo and you might not get a seat. Taking a taxi might be preferable depending on your arrival time.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
Toronto: Airport to downtown. Driving in Toronto is a zoo. Take the train. New and clean.
Fares have just dropped to increase demand. https://www.upexpress.com
Take a taxi from Union Station to hotel. OR The Royal York Hotel is very close.
Use the subway around the city : ttc.ca . They have day passes.
The train from downtown Toronto to downtown Montreal is an efficient choice.
Unusual choice of accommodation, plain, but usually enjoyed by all:
https://www.saint-joseph.org/en/visit-us/lodging
Montreal to Quebec City and back: Rent a car. It's just easier and in my experience is much cheaper. unless you can arrange for a cheap drop charge in Ottawa. YUL-YOW is 200 km.
Quebec City is a jewel. Just for the historic atmosphere. Allow a disproportionate amount of extra time there. You will remember it. More than any of the other places!
Ottawa...no more than 1 day IMHO.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:19 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

The fly to Toronto and drive is off. Some Canadians on our cruise discouraged us for many reasons, much of what has been commented on here.

Anyone know if something is going on in Quebec City to fill a couple of my early choices of hotels? Looking to be there Sept 14-17?

Flights in (from SAN) seem to get in too early (Red eye overnights) before noon, or too late, after 10 PM...Air Canada with travel over about 8-10 hours with a stop in Toronto. the alternative is a 2 stop where the travel takes another 50% or more...not good. So AC it is. Now to figure if I want to pay for a hotel night for a short night, or hang at the airport and slowly get to the hotel for check in Or go to the hotel and fake being awake and visit some stuff?

We will do a walk about in the old city and then either do the hop on and off bus (35$ pp) or the 2 hour tour at the same price, but includes hotel pickup. We will need transport to the hotel from the AP (cabs, I have read are a flat $35C). We will need to be able to walk to the gated city. If the second is set, then doing the tour or the hop on/off will not be an issue. Finely, we will need to be able to get to the port for our cruise (cab?)

We have a couple of thought on hotels, but do not want to wait too long. I will be checking the pre-cruise options from Holland America. I have two hotel that were recommended by people on our transatlantic cruise that are Canadian. I have been looking at the Hotel Palace Royal, but many of the reviews suggest it is well past it prime and needs rehab.

Checked out TripAdvisor for Quebec City. There does not seem anything one thing that is a must do for us, except walk the walled city and take advantage of serendipity. I do want to challenge my wife with the funicular. If we do the hop on/off bus, it looks line we will rid it once, then get off to see Musee de la Civilisation, Place Royale Museum, Notre-Dame des Victoires and perhaps the Musee du Fort. Then we would ride the bus another round and get our e-mail (wifi on bus).

We have never done two cruise in a year and the planning cycle seems to be overwhelming me.

Any comments?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
You will love Quebec City. Don't be deterred by the lack of "things" to do. You can pass several hours sitting at an outdoor cafe drinking coffee or eating gelato. There are always outdoor performers near the Chateau Frontenac (technically buskers, but the type you actually want to sit and listen to). The architecture and atmosphere are very European (even the McDonald's is beautiful!). Everyone speaks fluent English in the tourist areas (less so if you venture to other parts of the city). I'd recommend either the Hilton or Delta. They are next to each other and just outside the old city walls (5 minute walk). You can easily spend 2-3 days there without getting bored.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
If you go to Niagara Falls, I recommend crossing the border on foot. The view on Rainbow Bridge is amazing. I don't know if CBSA/CBP would give you an entry stamp if you are a citizen of either Canada or the States...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.