Liquor stores within Canadian airports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Liquor stores within Canadian airports

Originally Posted by Absolute
There isn't an LCBO, but there is a duty free - which of course you can't access on a domestic ticket The only airport I recall seeing a liquor store in the airport (non-duty free) is YVR... is there one at YYZ?
There's a very good liquor/wine store at YEG (half-way between security and the MLL).

There's also a liquor/wine store in the domestic concourse at YYC IIRC.

I'm not aware of a liquor/wine store at YYZ T1 Domestic (of course there's a duty free shop in the int'l and transborder concourse).

Btw, which shop at YVR are you referring to? I've seen a shop outside security which is pretty useless IMO. Is there another shop airside?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Absolute
There isn't an LCBO, but there is a duty free - which of course you can't access on a domestic ticket The only airport I recall seeing a liquor store in the airport (non-duty free) is YVR... is there one at YYZ?

Regarding your comment about PP, the last "public" lounge closed around 2002 AFAIK. Since so much of the traffic is government on either Porter or AC, there probably isn't enough of a demand for an independant lounge (even if I'd skip the MLL for it, for better food).
YUL also has one. If you have access to a duty free shop airside, but not flying internationally, you can technically buy it, so long as you pay the duty on it.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by kwflyer
YUL also has one. If you have access to a duty free shop airside, but not flying internationally, you can technically buy it, so long as you pay the duty on it.
Have you tried this? I don't think any duty free shop in Canada or the US would allow that. They aren't set up with separate pricing for this situation.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
YLW has a great wine store airside, full of nice BC wines
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
There's a very good liquor/wine store at YEG (half-way between security and the MLL).
Good selection but the prices are not always that great. While Ontario has been selling Crown Royal Harvest Rye for $32.80, the YEG shop has it for $55! Who says free enterprise is always cheaper than a govenment monopoly?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Plumber
YLW has a great wine store airside, full of nice BC wines
Indeed with free wine tastings!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by j_the_p
Have you tried this? I don't think any duty free shop in Canada or the US would allow that. They aren't set up with separate pricing for this situation.
Yes. Sometimes they have to look up the duty and and taxes being charged. You will be paying north of lcbo pricing though.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Good selection but the prices are not always that great. While Ontario has been selling Crown Royal Harvest Rye for $32.80, the YEG shop has it for $55! Who says free enterprise is always cheaper than a govenment monopoly?
I've picked up a few bottles of wine there, but I've been surprised by the prices. $20 for something that would be best used for cooking (actually, one bottle I picked up there, at that price, wasn't even fit for that).

There is a monopoly! It's the only place to get bottles of liquor/wine airside. I wouldn't doubt there's a per bottle levy that goes straight to EIA...
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
As a rule, "duty free" in airports usually just means the store is collecting the exorbitant profits instead of the government. Know the fair value of what you're buying and don't assume it's cheaper just because it's duty free.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
As a rule, "duty free" in airports usually just means the store is collecting the exorbitant profits instead of the government. Know the fair value of what you're buying and don't assume it's cheaper just because it's duty free.
100%. Much better deals even at land-based duty free stores.

Cheers
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:52 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I'm not aware of a liquor/wine store at YYZ T1 Domestic (of course there's a duty free shop in the int'l and transborder concourse).

Btw, which shop at YVR are you referring to? I've seen a shop outside security which is pretty useless IMO. Is there another shop airside?
That's good to know - sometimes I miss my chance to buy duty-free on a return to Canada, so it's good to know I'd have options if I transit through YEG and YYC.

With LCBO having such a monopoly (for now), I don't see them opening up in an Ontario airport. Even if they wouldn't be competing with Duty Free, those shops could always claim that there would be confusion, that people would shop there not knowing it's not duty free.

As for YVR, that's the one - below baggage claim. I mentioned it as if your destination is YVR it's convenient (or if you're checking in there), but not if you're transiting and not leaving the secure area.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

These posts have been split of a thread in the Air Canada forum as they are off topic and better suited to the Canada forum for further discussion.

Regards,

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The pricing at the YEG location is very poor indeed. Skip.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The pricing at the YEG location is very poor indeed. Skip.
It all depends IME. I only buy stuff there I'm familiar with and rarely noticed a price premium (the price was always within +/-$1 compared to standard prices in BC/AB/ON).

But even if there's a small price premium, I'm happy to pay that in return for the convenience of not having to go the liquor store. Since it's 20m from the elevator going downstairs, it usually adds < 1min to my trip.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Just an FYI for anyone going through YYC. There are four liquor stores. There are two behind security with one for the AC concourse and the other for the WS concourse, one on the departures level (non-secured side) near the AC check-in counters and the last one is on arrivals level around the WS carousels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.