Paying duty with nexus arriving back into YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

A few weeks ago, we came back from Milan via YYZ on an AC flight, and we had to pay duty. We both have nexus. We were directed to the long secondary screening line - it took about 45 minutes to get to the customs officer. No problems with the customer officer -that took no more than a few moments - he just calculated the duty and he directed us to the cashier.

In the past, we have come to Canada directly via YOW or via YVR and we have had to pay duty - the cashier is in the main hall, so we go there, pay the duty, and then are allowed to depart the customs hall with our luggage. (I have never had to pay duty when arriving in Canada at YUL - so I do not know what would happen there).

So it is advantageous, especially if one has nexus, and if one has to pay duty to the cashier, that one not come via YYZ - if waiting in line is a major issue.

PS-fortunately, I had not booked the first connecting flight from YYZ to YOW, or I would have missed that flight; unfortunately, with our flight from MXP arriving 30 min early, we could have connected on that earlier YYZ-YOW flight, with the help of the YYZ concierge - if not for our delay in standing in the secondary screening line for 45+ minutes.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
A few weeks ago, we came back from Milan via YYZ on an AC flight, and we had to pay duty. We both have nexus. We were directed to the long secondary screening line - it took about 45 minutes to get to the customs officer. No problems with the customer officer -that took no more than a few moments - he just calculated the duty and he directed us to the cashier.

In the past, we have come to Canada directly via YOW or via YVR and we have had to pay duty - the cashier is in the main hall, so we go there, pay the duty, and then are allowed to depart the customs hall with our luggage. (I have never had to pay duty when arriving in Canada at YUL - so I do not know what would happen there).

So it is advantageous, especially if one has nexus, and if one has to pay duty to the cashier, that one not come via YYZ - if waiting in line is a major issue.

PS-fortunately, I had not booked the first connecting flight from YYZ to YOW, or I would have missed that flight; unfortunately, with our flight from MXP arriving 30 min early, we could have connected on that earlier YYZ-YOW flight, with the help of the YYZ concierge - if not for our delay in standing in the secondary screening line for 45+ minutes.
Having done this in YYZ (and not having serious wait issues, personally) I don't think that this is a fair generalization. I also think that in any entry port, you are at the mercy of timing of other inbound flights and the stringency of CRA requests to see the goods for tariff classification purposes. I have had very long wait times in YVR.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by grumbler
Having done this in YYZ (and not having serious wait issues, personally) I don't think that this is a fair generalization. I also think that in any entry port, you are at the mercy of timing of other inbound flights and the stringency of CRA requests to see the goods for tariff classification purposes. I have had very long wait times in YVR.
The long wait times are ameliorated by having nexus. That is why my thread relates to nexus cardholders.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

Never use your nexus card at customs if you are over your duty free amount. Always go to a agent. I find the agent usually waves the duty amount, unless you are crazy over your duty free amount. Nexus, I find you always pay.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Never use your nexus card at customs if you are over your duty free amount. Always go to a agent. I find the agent usually waves the duty amount, unless you are crazy over your duty free amount. Nexus, I find you always pay.

In our case, we were quite a bit over the maximum duty-free amount - I do not think any agent would have let us through without paying duty - nexus or not.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Just a reminder

From NEXUS Membership Guide - Penalties

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5095-eng.html

Please be aware that the following program violations will result in the loss of your NEXUS membership:

Using a NEXUS lane for non-program related activities, i.e. if you have commercial goods;

Failure to declare goods, regardless of their value;

Using the NEXUS lane and failing to properly declare goods which have been purchased, received or otherwise acquired if you are a Canadian resident returning to Canada;

Using the NEXUS lane when you are in possession of goods that exceed your personal entitlement if you are a U.S. resident visiting Canada;

Failure to answer questions truthfully at the kiosk;......
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

As I don't see this as specifically relating to Air Canada the topic has been moved to the Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Boy did I ever learn that lesson the hard way.

Two weeks ago I flew SFO-YUL and brought home 4 pounds of See's Candies (2 pounds dark and 2 pounds milk chocolate for those of you who are curious - but I digress) in my carry-on. On the declaration card, after careful deliberation, I answered YES to the "Do you have food question" (chocolate is a dairy product after all).

It was my first time using my NEXUS card in arrival at a Canadian airport so I understandably wanted to use it. The system works amazing unless you need to go see an agent. Because of my YES answer about the food, I was sent to secondary and its very long line (I did however get the see one of the border guards who is regularly on Border Security - but I digress again).

After 45 minutes, I made it to a customs agent (not the TV celebrity much to my utter disappointment) who was perplexed by why I was in secondary in the first place. She spied my carry-on and said "Is that the only baggage you have? - and waved me out and on my way.

Next time I will stand in line to see an agent and not use my NEXUS card - or I will forget about the chocolate.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I visited the Blaine duty free shop returning from Canada a few weeks ago. They were very clear that I should not go over my limits and use the NEXUS lane.

Previously, I've gone south through other crossings with many cases of wine with just a wave through.

The point about never going over as a US returning visitor was not something I was aware of until now! And I thought I'd read all of the documentation.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The car crossing (Blaine) is very different from NEXUS at airports. The Blaine crossing is verbal declaration whereas the airport is a specific Q at the kiosk asking if you went over. There is no leeway at a kiosk.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Salisbury5

Two weeks ago I flew SFO-YUL and brought home 4 pounds of See's Candies (2 pounds dark and 2 pounds milk chocolate for those of you who are curious - but I digress) in my carry-on. On the declaration card, after careful deliberation, I answered YES to the "Do you have food question" (chocolate is a dairy product after all).

It was my first time using my NEXUS card in arrival at a Canadian airport so I understandably wanted to use it. The system works amazing unless you need to go see an agent. Because of my YES answer about the food, I was sent to secondary and its very long line (I did however get the see one of the border guards who is regularly on Border Security - but I digress again).

After 45 minutes, I made it to a customs agent (not the TV celebrity much to my utter disappointment) who was perplexed by why I was in secondary in the first place. She spied my carry-on and said "Is that the only baggage you have? - and waved me out and on my way.

Next time I will stand in line to see an agent and not use my NEXUS card - or I will forget about the chocolate.
Likely poor discretion on the initial agent's part. I think one time I was coming back from Hawaii with macadamia nuts and declared yes for food and the agent taking at my card before exiting saw I had marked food and just asked what food I was bringing back. After saying it was macadamia nuts, he just laughed it off and sent me on my way.

Also, curious if YVR is set up different from YUL for food stuff. Instead of going to "real" secondary, at YVR there appears to be a special food/agriculture(?) area which was pretty dead. Had to surrender some fricken awesome beef/pork jerky from Macau once. But that time I think we went initially to an agent because the Nexus machines were down.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Jay71
Likely poor discretion on the initial agent's part. I think one time I was coming back from Hawaii with macadamia nuts and declared yes for food and the agent taking at my card before exiting saw I had marked food and just asked what food I was bringing back. After saying it was macadamia nuts, he just laughed it off and sent me on my way.

Also, curious if YVR is set up different from YUL for food stuff. Instead of going to "real" secondary, at YVR there appears to be a special food/agriculture(?) area which was pretty dead. Had to surrender some fricken awesome beef/pork jerky from Macau once. But that time I think we went initially to an agent because the Nexus machines were down.
YVR has the food setup due to more flights and attempts to bring infood not permitted (meats) from Asia.

NEXUS holder should feel lucky if they are caught with illegal importation and not lose their NEXUS priviledges
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by Salisbury5

Chocolate isn't dairy. It has dairy in it but dairy to Canada customs is milk, butter, cheese etc. It would fall under baked goods and candies of which you can take in 20kg.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
While it's true that primary inspection agents will sometimes waive the duty amount, I don't agree with your advice. Answering "yes" to being over your duty allowance at a Nexus kiosk prints a dollar sign symbol on your receipt and directs you to the cashier. It does not automatically direct you to secondary unless you were randomly selected to go to secondary regardless of how you answered the kiosk's questions. And remember, the cashier also has the ability to waive duties.

So if you find yourself in a packed customs hall and the only think you have to declare is that you've busted your allowance, use the kiosk, get the receipt with the $ symbol and try your luck with the cashier. At the very worst, you saved yourself a whole lot of waiting in line.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by ffsim
While it's true that primary inspection agents will sometimes waive the duty amount, I don't agree with your advice. Answering "yes" to being over your duty allowance at a Nexus kiosk prints a dollar sign symbol on your receipt and directs you to the cashier. It does not automatically direct you to secondary unless you were randomly selected to go to secondary regardless of how you answered the kiosk's questions. And remember, the cashier also has the ability to waive duties.

So if you find yourself in a packed customs hall and the only think you have to declare is that you've busted your allowance, use the kiosk, get the receipt with the $ symbol and try your luck with the cashier. At the very worst, you saved yourself a whole lot of waiting in line.
This is in line with my experiences. Whenever I have wanted to bring in liquor exceeding the limit, I've used the Nexus lane, declared it, then been sent to the cashier who almost always waves me through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.