Wiki Posts
Search

Where to try outdoor skating?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Where to try outdoor skating?

Skating is the quintessential winter sport, and this time of year outdoor rinks abound. This winter, we are trying a few of them & the best place to start is Place d'Youville in Quebec City. The outdoor ice surface is comprised of two hexagons c/w an indoor change area, where rentals are available.

It is open from October through March, and is located just beyond the walls of the old city, opposite La Capitole Theatre. Best experienced at night (open until 10 pm) when the Xmas lights shine bright!

http://www.quebecregion.com/en/skati...ce-d-youville/

Last edited by Antonio8069; Dec 24, 2014 at 4:11 pm Reason: jpg images
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:31 am

Unlike other faux Canadian cities, it's currently (Christmas Day)-11 in YEG with lots of places to skate outdoors!

P.S. Some of my undergrad was at Carleton and we lived just off Bank Street. The Rideau Canal is the best place for skating. I went to classes that way most of the winters I was there.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there ice skating on/at Lake Louise? That would be spectacular and very different from Quebec City.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
You can skate on any mountain lake as long as the ice is over 6 inches thick but best to wait till 12 inches. Also ask around if there are any springs that feed the lake they can cause weak areas that may not support weight.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
In Vancouver...

Robson Square:

Grouse Mountain:

Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: AE, used to be E, Skymiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there ice skating on/at Lake Louise? That would be spectacular and very different from Quebec City.
There is an area cleared for skating as well as a hockey area. As of Dec. 27, 2014, the ice is 35-40cm thick. The ice bar (not on the lake itself) opens at 4pm, and maple taffy is available then.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Montreal

Bumping my thread to add a Montreal observation........

Lac Aux Castors (on Mount Royal) has a delightful oval overlooking the toboggan & X-country skiing area - reflecting lights on the lake made this one memorable! & it is free!

Over in the Vieux Port, Telus sponsors a smaller oval where they charge tourists $6.75 to skate. Near Bonsecours Market but I do not recommend..........too windy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.