Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Transit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Airpoints, Aeroplan
Canadian Transit

I'm planning to go to SFO to Sydney via Vancouver. I have heard only the US requires you to clear immigration for international transfers. Not sure if it's the same case in Canada. I have an hour layover so obviously me going around VanCity isn't an option and I'd LIKE to be able to go to Sydney.
Do I need to have some sort of immigration clearance and wait in line, or do I just sashay my way down to a security checkpoint, get my things checked and be on my merry way to the Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge (to abuse the free food) or the transit area waiting zone?
I'm a US citizen, so I believe I don't need a transit visa and will be on Air Canada.
Thanks! Just been trying to find this info out online and using Google, but nothing.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Enter your trip's vital details at the following website and you will be given detailed instructions.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-yvr/...rough-yvr.aspx
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I have heard only the US requires you to clear immigration for international transfers
Correct.

Not sure if it's the same case in Canada
Usually not - Just a passport / immigration check, with your bag checked through. Wizard link above should tell you.

be on my merry way to the Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge (to abuse the free food)
If your layover is only an hour, you aren't going to be in the lounge. You might be able to dash in, grab a cookie and dash out - That's probably about it.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:08 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by gglave
Usually not - Just a passport / immigration check, with your bag checked through. Wizard link above should tell you.
Umm, is a passport/immigration check not "clearing immigration"? You basically need to enter Canada in order to transit, the only difference from the US being that they don't automatically suspect you of wanting to live in Canada forever just because you are passing through.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by :D!
Umm, is a passport/immigration check not "clearing immigration"?
When you 'clear immigration' at YVR you are then clear to enter Canada.

This check does not clear you to enter Canada.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The travel document check only get you into the departure holding area for intl or US bound departures.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
The travel document check only get you into the departure holding area for intl or US bound departures.
International only, as US-bound departures have to pass through US CBP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.