Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver downtown hotel - Hyatt or Sheraton

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Vancouver downtown hotel - Hyatt or Sheraton

Hello

We are a couple with newborn baby going to Vancouver in December and will stay at hotel for a week while looking for an apartment for several months.

Have both Hyatt diamond and SPG platinum status.

Between the Hyatt and Sheraton downtown, which of these two has the better club lounge and suites?

Thanks
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
I believe the Sheraton you are referring to is the Wall Centre? If so, it does have a lounge and so-so ratings. My preference would be the Westin Bayshore, no lounge but good Plat upgrades and over-sized rooms and a good location.

(My personal fav is Gold Floor of the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, not on your list! They serve tea daily!)
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The Hyatt has a better location - right in the middle of the shopping district. The Sheraton is a bit of a walk - not ideal if you need to get back to the hotel quickly.

Not sure about the Hyatt suites but the Wall Centre Sheraton does offer fairly large suites - although personal experience (and those of colleagues') suggests it's sometimes a bit of a fight with front desk. Lounge at the Sheraton is average at best, but it doesn't have a lot of seats.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for the information.

I started with the narrow choice of Hyatt and Sheraton to focus on the difference between them for suites and lounge, but no problem to widen the general selection to other hotels.

We also have Fairmont Platinum, so any preferences amongst the 3 downtown properties -- Vancouver, Waterfront, Pacific Rim?

Or any current recommendations for other brands or boutiques on the basis of no status?

Thanks
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:02 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The Fairmont Waterfront has been recently renovated. The Fairmont Pacific Rim is a great hotel but with a small room count, a little higher priced.

Both are Virtuoso and include complimentary daily breakfast, upgrade if available, a food and beverage credit (at Waterfront) or spa services credit (at Pacific Rim) once per stay. Combinable with your FPC Platinum amenities. You can use your upgrade certs and free night certs (Virtuoso amenities, i.e. the breakfast will not apply on the free night).

Virtuoso rate is equal to BAR (Best Available Rate) at Pacific Rim and is 15% off BAR at Waterfront.

Just need to book through a Virtuoso Travel Agent.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info about Fairmont, luxury.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by polarpacific
Or any current recommendations for other brands or boutiques on the basis of no status?
There is the Pan Pacific (beside Fairmont Waterfront). Biz colleagues often stay there and tell me of the great room (upgrade?) they get based on cheapie rates. And no, they're not frequent clients there.

I sometimes put up my in-laws at the Four Seasons. I haven't booked a suite for them but the location and service is great.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 5:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
It isn't your brand preference, but if you want extra space, I'd highly recommend the downtown Hampton Inn. I did a review on it here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-downtown.html

I think my rate was ~C$170/night, but for the huge room, and super convenient downtown location, it was well worthwhile.

Let me know if you'd like more info.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AC/AS
Fairmont Waterfront Gold Floor, or Fairmont Pacific Rim.

Shangri-la has construction going around it right now, otherwise that would be my pick.

Sheraton Wall Centre is located in a less attractive part of downtown compared with the aforementioned.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
I know your question was specific to the lounge and suites, I can't help you there. What I can say is, I agree with the previous posts that the Sheraton, while modern is not in an ideal location in DT. Not much shopping around the area, and a little far from most attractions. Good for conventions, not so much for a visitor.

My vote goes to the Westin Bayshore if you want to use SPG. Older property but renovated. Awesome location next to the water. Some of the views there are spectacular.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by teriyaki
I know your question was specific to the lounge and suites, I can't help you there. What I can say is, I agree with the previous posts that the Sheraton, while modern is not in an ideal location in DT. Not much shopping around the area, and a little far from most attractions. Good for conventions, not so much for a visitor.

My vote goes to the Westin Bayshore if you want to use SPG. Older property but renovated. Awesome location next to the water. Some of the views there are spectacular.
Fully agree. If I were to choose a SPG property in Vancouver, IŽd definitely choose the Westin Bayshore. Great location for shopping, restaurants and activities - not to mention the awesome views of Coal Harbour and Stanley Park from some the rooms.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
If it's not too late to chime in, I'd recommend you also consider the Westin Grande. I like the rooms there (the 03 and 08 suites are like mini-apartments) and they have a small kitchenette which will undoubtedly be quite useful for preparing baby stuff.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Hyatt recently reno'd their lounge/bar. I have stayed at Hyatt and Sheraton Wall Ctr. The latter wins for nicest building vs. stogy old hotel block.

http://www.bcbusiness.ca/lifestyle/p...r-and-cuchillo

Inside the Hyatt Regency on Vancouver’s Burrard Street is a stylish new cocktail lounge free of the stuffy trappings of your average hotel bar. When developing the concept for Grain Tasting Bar, the team was focused on harvesting ingredients and menu items from the wealth of top-notch sustainable suppliers in B.C. and presenting them in an approachably chic urban space.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
If you are looking for a long term place to live, would you have a car?

While I agree that the Bayshore is the nicest hotel, as for a location to get in and out of in a car, it is kind of a pain. Especially near Lion's Gate / Stanley Park causeway - Lost Lagoon area to be difficult to understand for a newcomer with the bridge lanes changing direction depending on time of day.

If the OP is going to have a car, Fairmont, Westin and even the Sheraton Wall maybe better for in and out albeit the whole downtown traffic scene is a total mess.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
It isn't your brand preference, but if you want extra space, I'd highly recommend the downtown Hampton Inn. I did a review on it here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-downtown.html

I think my rate was ~C$170/night, but for the huge room, and super convenient downtown location, it was well worthwhile.

Let me know if you'd like more info.
Good point about putting the emphasis on space and a bigger room.

I did the same the last time around. I was planning on staying at one of the Fairmonts (as I have Swissotel status and Fairmont apparently lets me credit stays to it) but due to my friends staying at the Century Plaza Hotel & Spa I chose to stay there instead and booked a 1-bdr apartment. I was very happy with it, much better than I expected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.