Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Vancouver Restaurants

So i'm heading to Vancouver on 25th June for a 2 week honeymoon so i thought i'd better start doing some research into Vancouver's best eateries.

We are staying at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia and it seems that the best restaurant in Vancouver is Hawksworth, which is in the hotel.

Others i have read about are;

Blue Water Cafe + Raw Bar
Yew
HY's Encore
Gotham Steakhouse
Wildebeest
Tojo's
Minami
Vij's

We have 5 nights in Vancouver in total on our trip so will probably select 3 places to make reservations for and maybe leave 2 nights free to just find somewhere.

So any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated

Thanks ^
Old May 15, 2013, 6:52 pm

If the weather's nice, Joe Fortes has a wonderful rooftop patio, classy decor and very good food.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I think you´ve included most of the good restaurants in Vancouver in your list.

A few more places I´d add, especially for lunch or pre-dinner drinks:

ORU at the Fairmont Pacific Rim (very creative dishes, but honestly not necessarily to my liking, but many people rave about it)

LIFT Bar & Grill (great cocktails and view of Coal Harbour)

Cardero´s (food good, but not excellent; nice patio with views of Coal Harbour)

All three places tend to be very busy, so it´s a good idea to make reservations in advance.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What would be casual/practical enough yet interesting/delicious with two young kids?
We'll be at pacific rim so we'll try oru for sure..
Old May 16, 2013, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

thanks guys ^
Old May 16, 2013, 2:38 pm

Just some quick thoughts...

Love Blue Water Cafe. Great food, friendly staff.

I think Hy's and Gotham are under the same restaurant group nowadays. Haven't been to Hy's but quite enjoyed the steaks at Gotham. (Note: They used to serve USDA prime but now serve Prime from Alberta beef.) Personally, have encountered mixed service during various visits though.
One steakhouse I've been dying to try is Black + Blu.

Haven't been to Tojo's in ages but have run across his food at various food events. His food is delicious but it's so fricken overpriced.

Haven't been to Vij's main restaurant but to their casual restaurant next door, Rangoli, and their food truck, Railway Express. I'm not a hard core Indian food guy but I quite enjoy their food and flavours.

I'm a bit of a fanboy of Mia Stainsby's (Vancouver Sun food critic) reviews because we're gone to a number of places she's reviewed and agreed with most of them (tho, not all).

Here's her 2011 list of top 20 restaurants:
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2011/0...r-restaurants/
*Note: Some aren't open any more like Dale McKay's (Top Chef Canada season 1 winner) Ensemble.

Here's her restaurant guide from 2012:
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/0...guide-updated/
Old May 16, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
What would be casual/practical enough yet interesting/delicious with two young kids?
While I´m sure the team at ORU can up with something your kids like, I wouldn´t necessarily consider ORU to be the first choice to take young children unless they´re used to "creative" food. I´d definitely recommend having a look at the menu beforehand. If everything fails, there´s always Giovani on the main floor where you can get some tasty pizzas.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lighting
HY's Encore
The food at Hy's is quite good, but it's very 'old school' - The kind of place that was all the rage when Don Draper was taking his clients to dinner. Very attentive wait staff, many of whom have been serving steak for 30 years.

Gotham Steakhouse
A lot of poseurs here - Sugardaddies eating steaks with their 20 year old girlfriends eating mixed greens.

Vij's
Food here is absolutely fantastic, but they don't take reservations. You need to show up about 30 minutes before opening and queue up on the sidewalk, then enjoy a great meal.

Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
If the weather's nice, Joe Fortes has a wonderful rooftop patio, classy decor and very good food.
Agreed.
Old May 16, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Suika. Across from Maurya (an excellent Indian resto). Japanese but really from Japan. Izakaya style but also donburi and others. Menu is online. It's excellent and super kid friendly.
Old May 17, 2013, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
While I´m sure the team at ORU can up with something your kids like, I wouldn´t necessarily consider ORU to be the first choice to take young children unless they´re used to "creative" food. I´d definitely recommend having a look at the menu beforehand. If everything fails, there´s always Giovani on the main floor where you can get some tasty pizzas.
Thanks! We had breakfast buffet at ORU and i think smth for lunch as well last year and they had kid's menu which was free for kids <5. Perhaps dinner is trickier but i have plenty of expiring fairmont dining vouchers so we'll see.

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Suika. Across from Maurya (an excellent Indian resto). Japanese but really from Japan. Izakaya style but also donburi and others. Menu is online. It's excellent and super kid friendly.
Great - love izakayas so this is promising. The only problem we experienced last time (i think it was Guu on robson) was lack of space - tables were very small and barely any room to put four chairs together.

Last edited by azepine00; May 17, 2013 at 1:18 am
Old May 17, 2013, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! We had breakfast buffet at ORU and i think smth for lunch as well last year and they had kid's menu which was free for kids <5. Perhaps dinner is trickier but i have plenty of expiring fairmont dining vouchers so we'll see.
Breakfast buffet indeed is excellent at ORU! The team is top-notch, so I´m sure they´ll find something for your kids, though I must admit I can´t remember ever seeing children at ORU for lunch (though I´m not a regular there by any means).
Old May 21, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Great - love izakayas so this is promising. The only problem we experienced last time (i think it was Guu on robson) was lack of space - tables were very small and barely any room to put four chairs together.
Guu is ok but it's a bit "entry-level" for an izakaya. Suika is the sister resto to Kingyo Izakaya, which is an excellent choice if you're in that part of town. Their dinner menu is far better than their lunch menu. Kid friendly? Kind of, but I highly recommend reservations so you can get one of the coveted tables.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Again , thanks guys. Really appreciate
Old May 31, 2013, 12:20 pm
In memoriam

Take a look at C Restaurant (excellent when we dined there - although that was perhaps 7 or 8 years ago). Robyn
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
You can also use your vouchers at Heron's in the Fairmont Waterfront (about one block from the Pacific Rim). You can just give them your Pacific Rim room number when you sign the check. Also try the new Cactus Club across the street from PR at the waterfront.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.