Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One day in YYZ / Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:13 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
One day in YYZ / Toronto

I need one more segment to hit 5 AC segments for the year and keep my Elite (maybe SE ... we'll see) status.

So I'm going to Toronto for a day next weekend.

I have ~6 hours in Toronto and it'll be a Saturday. I'm not into hockey (I know - sacrilegious) and I've already done ROM and the CN Tower a couple years ago.

What should I do to fill the day?

Many thanks AC people!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:14 am

The lack of a subway connection between YYZ and downtown is not only embarassing, but will also cost you either a bunch of time or money to get anywhere worth visiting.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Take the bus to Square One in Mississauga for 3 hours or so, go see a movie?

On Saturdays the bus leaves at :18 past the hour, takes 30 minutes, and costs $3

Last edited by rankourabu; Nov 11, 2011 at 12:09 pm
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
I need one more segment to hit 5 AC segments for the year and keep my Elite (maybe SE ... we'll see) status.

So I'm going to Toronto for a day next weekend.

I have ~6 hours in Toronto and it'll be a Saturday. I'm not into hockey (I know - sacrilegious) and I've already done ROM and the CN Tower a couple years ago.

What should I do to fill the day?

Many thanks AC people!
There is thoroughbred horse racing at Woodbine (quite close to the airport) every Saturday at 1pm in November. Book a spot at the restaurant overlooking the track.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
There are some good ideas here...

http://ask.metafilter.com/129582/Wha...oronto-airport

Cab (I think) will cost you around $60 each way to go downtown.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:59 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by YQMer
There are some good ideas here...

http://ask.metafilter.com/129582/Wha...oronto-airport

Cab (I think) will cost you around $60 each way to go downtown.
The highways that cabs take are unpredictable. I recommend taking the bus (route 192) to the subway, then the subway downtown. $3, almost exactly 60 minutes from terminal to Yonge & Bloor (northern half of downtown). Lots of shopping, restaurants, parks, and more to check out.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
The lack of a subway connection between YYZ and downtown is not only embarassing, but will also cost you either a bunch of time or money to get anywhere worth visiting.
+1

Every time I arrive back in YYZ from FRA I am shaking my head about this.
Everybody who's taken the train/S Bahn etc. into FRA knows how easy and convenient things could be......I got stranded at YYZ after arriving from FRA just before christmas a few years back, took HOURS before a cab would show up at the airport!!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:05 pm
B1

There won't be much traffic so take the Airport Express and buy a round trip. It's quick, comfortable and frequent. Then it's up to you. I'd go to the Delta Chelsea stop on the bus. Since you seem to like museums, the best one is the new AGO - the Frank Gehry addition is lovely (go up the ramp) with diverse collections, including Henry Moore casts - and also see the model boats in the basement (Thomson's collection). Then you can eat in Chinatown or at a cafe. You could also go to the stores in the Eaton Centre from the same bus stop. If you want a more quiet activity with some scenery, get off at the Westin HC and walk along Harbourfront, where there also are galleries and shops. Just get away from the airport - it's quite awful. If all you want is a shopping center, GO transit has buses to Yorkdale nonstop from the airport
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by tnkngn
+1

Every time I arrive back in YYZ from FRA I am shaking my head about this.
Everybody who's taken the train/S Bahn etc. into FRA knows how easy and convenient things could be......I got stranded at YYZ after arriving from FRA just before christmas a few years back, took HOURS before a cab would show up at the airport!!
That's why I love Bart @ SFO. Train pulls right into the international terminal, and drops you off in the middle of downtown for $8.10 and takes 20 minutes. Cab would be $40.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
You could rent a car and visit Niagara Falls for an hour or so with a stop at a winery or two on the way.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by arcticbull
That's why I love Bart @ SFO. Train pulls right into the international terminal, and drops you off in the middle of downtown for $8.10 and takes 20 minutes. Cab would be $40.
SFO has excellent public transportation in general compared to almost any other city in NA except for NYC and a couple of others. One of the few places in NA where you almost look forward to a long layover so that you can head into town and enjoy the city and not go halfway into bankruptcy doing so.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:19 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Thank you all for the suggestions.

If anyone is bored in YYZ on the 19th and wants to spend the day with an American "Canadaphile" please let me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.