Reload this Page >

YVR Voted Best Airport in North America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR Voted Best Airport in North America

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:11 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Slow bags at YVR - always

Originally Posted by will5404
I agree, I like YVR especially with the new Canada line. That and YVR knows how to deliver luggage.
Really, I have always found the opposite. It's a minimum of 20 agonizing minutes waiting at the domestic or international belts, every time!!! My rant.

Now SIN - every time I have been through there, the bags always beat me to the belt. Now that's fast!!!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Really, I have always found the opposite. It's a minimum of 20 agonizing minutes waiting at the domestic or international belts, every time!!! My rant.

Now SIN - every time I have been through there, the bags always beat me to the belt. Now that's fast!!!
Perhaps it just feels speedy since anything is faster than YYZ where 30-40 minutes is the norm.

I can't remember any long waits for baggage at YVR, but haven't been through since last summer.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by will5404
I agree, I like YVR especially with the new Canada line. That and YVR knows how to deliver luggage.

YYZ could win for the worst airport in Canada, think I'd almost prefer ORD.
Ok, ORD is not THAT bad (at least for domestic), though it's quite a workout getting to the subway from wherever UA domestic gets in.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
With Vancouver winning all these awards (including the topic of this thread), they must have a great publicist!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I have made a lot of dineros consulting to YVRAA on design and construction over the last 15 years. As a client they are among the best ^. As a functional airport, YVR is right up there, although not without its annoyances. As an art gallery, it is also impressive, BUT IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE AN ART GALLERY! I would prefer the functional airport without the expensive art in exchange for a lower AIF (or higher consulting fees).

Think about why people are at an airport: THEY ALL WANT TO LEAVE! and soon. Either airborne on their next flight, or just arrived on a flight and they want to get the ... out of there on the ground. Not one of them is there to look at art. Who needs it?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
I appreciate the art

OK - it’s my home town, but I really like the ambience when I arrive at YVR (or depart). I think it’s a mark of the civilisation of the city. The utilitarian airports leave me feeling cold – like YYZ
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by rehoult
I think you just described the International-->Domestic connection process for most of the world.
most of the (Asian) airports and LHR are one level (arrivals) and anothr level (departures), then you go through the security formalities and take the escalator to the departures level............. Not from level 1 --> 2 --> 1 --> 3 --> 1

for US airports, its just get out of the international terminal/section altogether and get in again

Originally Posted by yvrluver
Obviously you have never transited Int'l to domestic or vice versa at YYZ
Home base is YYZ....so never had a try...... But I do remember the old T2 was a 1 mile walk to customs........ Is YYZ connection another rat race?

I call it a rat race because they make you walk through all these channels with your best intelligence and limited help, similar to those lab mice
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Home base is YYZ....so never had a try...... But I do remember the old T2 was a 1 mile walk to customs........ Is YYZ connection another rat race?
My God, I swear that if you had to travel that distance downtown you'd take a cab! I think the old T2 was shorter.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by yhzflyer
My God, I swear that if you had to travel that distance downtown you'd take a cab! I think the old T2 was shorter.
i remember seeing those signs.... 1km to go.... 800m to go..... 400m to go......since T2 was decommissioned around 2005 or before now i need to recall was it 1mi or 1km..... either way a very long walk.......

here is another good one, try walking from T1 Gates 258ish.....
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Obviously they never made a connection from the A wing of the domestic terminal to the transborder wing, or undergo the ridiculous security and checked baggage routine when connecting from an overseas flight to one heading to the USA!
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I have made a lot of dineros consulting to YVRAA on design and construction over the last 15 years. As a client they are among the best ^. As a functional airport, YVR is right up there, although not without its annoyances. As an art gallery, it is also impressive, BUT IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE AN ART GALLERY! I would prefer the functional airport without the expensive art in exchange for a lower AIF (or higher consulting fees).

Think about why people are at an airport: THEY ALL WANT TO LEAVE! and soon. Either airborne on their next flight, or just arrived on a flight and they want to get the ... out of there on the ground. Not one of them is there to look at art. Who needs it?
Philistine! Art humanizes an otherwise sterile shopping mall that airports have become...who needs the shops? The cost of art would not impact the AIF, it's the high consulting and engineering fees that are extorted from these unaccountable airport authorities that inflate these charges.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
According to yvr.ca during the bulk of the arrival day and Int'l to USA connecting passenger does not clear Canada customs and does not collect bags at yvr (unless us customs wants the bags pulled). Seems pretty civil to me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.