Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Returning to Canada without PR card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Returning to Canada without PR card

I am making a very short trip from Toronto to Tokyo early next month. I am a UK citizen with UK passport and my Canadian Resident card has expired. the processing times for renewal are simply scandalous (currently 8 months)
I have no opportunity to visit the embassy in Tokyo to get the one time travel document so is there any problem presenting a UK passport as ID at check-in in NRT, essentially travelling to Canada as a visitor, then establishing my PR status once I'm at immigration in YYZ?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:14 pm

The airline might not let you board if you are traveling as a visitor without a return ticket.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fruitinspace
The airline might not let you board if you are traveling as a visitor without a return ticket.
I have further travel from Toronto confirmed to Australia and back to Japan on the same airline- United- only a couple of days after I get back to Toronto, so I can show intent not to stay in Canada beyond a couple of days. maybe before I die the PR card will be renewed!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mcmonster
I have further travel from Toronto confirmed to Australia and back to Japan on the same airline- United- only a couple of days after I get back to Toronto, so I can show intent not to stay in Canada beyond a couple of days. maybe before I die the PR card will be renewed!
Is it possible your Member of Parliament might help expedite something if you contacted his or her office?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I am making a very short trip from Toronto to Tokyo early next month. I am a UK citizen with UK passport and my Canadian Resident card has expired. the processing times for renewal are simply scandalous (currently 8 months)
I have no opportunity to visit the embassy in Tokyo to get the one time travel document so is there any problem presenting a UK passport as ID at check-in in NRT, essentially travelling to Canada as a visitor, then establishing my PR status once I'm at immigration in YYZ?
I forgot to mention you might get some very good advice in the Canada Forum. I'll PM a Mod asking if it can be moved.

And welcome to FT! ^
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you,
yes, my MP's office is on the case- and will be getting a few recommendations too;
make the renewal forms available online (I drove to two CIC offices before getting them as a special case- normally you apply online and wait two weeks for the forms.
given the ridiculous processing times CIC should provide an alternative here in Canada rather than chasing documents once outside the country.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Fredd
I forgot to mention you might get some very good advice in the Canada Forum. I'll PM a Mod asking if it can be moved.

And welcome to FT! ^
Done . Thanks for the heads-up!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:31 pm

As I understand it, you cannot have two visas. The moment you enter as a visitor you relinquish your PR status, and vice versa. If you opt to enter as a visitor, you'd likely have to start your PR application from scratch. You should either cancel your trip or extend in Tokyo long enough to go into that office.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Isn't it ironic that you can have PR status, but the proof of it can expire?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:23 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

so is there any problem presenting a UK passport as ID at check-in in NRT, essentially travelling to Canada as a visitor, then establishing my PR status once I'm at immigration in YYZ?
In theory, yes:

Originally Posted by http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq13.asp
If you wish to return to Canada and don’t have a valid Permanent Resident Card, you will need to obtain a permanent resident travel document from a Canadian visa office abroad. For a list of visa offices, go to Find a CIC office in the I Need To… section on the right-hand side of this page. An application kit is available in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page. Once you return to Canada, you should apply for a Permanent Resident Card.
In practice, if you are able to get to the point-of-entry, you would, most likely, be OK, subject to the officer being satisfied that your are, in fact, a PR, as described below:

Originally Posted by http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq12.asp
Do I need a permanent resident card if I'm returning to Canada by car?

No matter how you travel back to Canada, all permanent residents entering Canada must satisfy the border services officer that they have valid permanent resident status. A valid permanent resident card is the best proof of your status.

If you do not present your card when you return to Canada, you may be asked to show one of the following documents:

* a completed Confirmation of Permanent Residence form;
* the original Record of Landing (if it is dated 1973 or later);
* a passport stamped with the date you were granted permanent residence (if your Record of Landing is dated 1972 or earlier);
* a certified true copy of a Record of Landing document issued by CIC National Headquarters; or
* a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters attesting to your permanent resident status.

The border services officer may also need to confirm your permanent resident status by asking you questions and checking our information systems.
Originally Posted by Vasco
The moment you enter as a visitor you relinquish your PR status, and vice versa.
The OP has no intention of actually entering as a visitor (in fact, (s)he will most likely be denied entry as a visitor if (s)he tries to).
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
How difficult would be to obtain one of these before your trip?

* a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters attesting to your permanent resident status
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for the responses.
a few things to clarify:
the problem is not proving my status to a Canadian official. Once my UK passport is scanned they know I'm a PR. Hence it's not my intention to pass myself off as a visitor to Canadian immigration- I'm not, I live here and they have proof of that even if at present I don't.
the problem is being allowed to board in Narita- the airline needs to verify that I'm legal to enter Canada. As a UK citizen I don't need a visa hence the only problem I see is that I'm on the return leg of the ticket. However I have proof of travel FROM Canada two days after I arrive so that should be enough.

I physically cant get to the embassy in Tokyo. I arrive in NRT after they close, have to perform (I'm a musician) luchtime, with soundchecks in the morning then head straight to the airport and home.

@jms_uk. "a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters attesting to your permanent resident status" would solve the problem but having asked repeatedly at CIC in Kitchener they know of no such letter. It is utterly absurd. a new card is issued in 25 days, a renewal 8 months unless expidited! they will not send the card to the consulate in Sydney where I can pick it up next month, they will not allow my Canadian wife to pick it up and courier to me....and they cant provide confirmation while I'm here that I live here.

the australians put a stamp in the passport for the life of the passport and renewal is apparently trivial. the US green card is good for 10 years....
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:05 pm

Anecdotally, I can tell you that you're not in a unique position. Permanent residents travel back to Canada all the time without valid PR cards. Those from visa-exempt countries (like the UK) rarely obtain permanent resident travel documents (visa counterfoils).
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
You shouldn't have a problem at the port of entry with your expired PR card.. As far as boarding in NRT is concerned, as you stated, you have onward flights out of Canada within a short period of time, so shouldn't be a problem either.

That being said....

An expired PR card, and only being in Canada for a couple of days, might encounter some problems with CBSA/CIC.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexb133

That being said....

An expired PR card, and only being in Canada for a couple of days, might encounter some problems with CBSA/CIC.
Why? What problem with CBSA/ CIC? They can see I'm a resident soon as they scan the passport. What problem does only being back in Canada a couple of days present to them. My travel to Australia a couple of days later isnt their concern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.