Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Currency

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Foreign Currency

Can anyone suggest their favourite place to go for currency exchange. Favourite as in good rates. I used to go to Guardian on Yonge and Adelaide area but their rates are worse than Scotia FX now.

I need HKD, Singapore Dollar, Taiwan $, Malaysian ringgit and Japanese Yen
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I rarely buy FX here. I just hit a bank machine when I arrive. But if I do need FX, any of the major banks downtown have the common currencies.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I rarely buy FX here. I just hit a bank machine when I arrive. But if I do need FX, any of the major banks downtown have the common currencies.
I guess what you suggest makes sense evn though TD charges $5 per withdrawal and then another $1.25 at the end of the month for "withdrawing from other ABM". Especially if i withdraw enough.. But if i should lose my card or i forget my PIN, I'm screwed.. haha.. but good idea.. I might just do that
thanks
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
I guess what you suggest makes sense evn though TD charges $5 per withdrawal and then another $1.25 at the end of the month for "withdrawing from other ABM". Especially if i withdraw enough.. But if i should lose my card or i forget my PIN, I'm screwed.. haha.. but good idea.. I might just do that
thanks
Not any more if you have an account with TD. The $5 fee for FX went away some time ago (they told me) (It was a rip off anyway).
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Strangely enough, Money Marts in downtown had the best rates, with only a small, flat service fee...even for some of the non-standard currencies.

Last year I wanted to have some Yen before I landed in NRT - their rates were only fractionally higher than the official exchange rate, and they charged $2.50 as a flat fee.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by atsak
Not any more if you have an account with TD. The $5 fee for FX went away some time ago (they told me) (It was a rip off anyway).
Wrong. It still exists. I get dinged with it allll the time./
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Canada (25k), Hyatt (Globalist), Marriott (Platinum)
I use same approach as RCyyz. ATM at destination.

I have a TD Select Service account and find it to be a good value as Plus fees ($5) are waived.

Of course you still get nailed on the FX conversion but I haven't found a way around that anywhere.

The account is $25 per month but they waive that too if you keep a minimum balance. I think all the big banks have a similar account product.

The opportunity cost of having the minimum balance not earning interest is always a consideration but I treat the money as my emergency fund.

Anyhow....getting a bit OT...
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Wrong. It still exists. I get dinged with it allll the time./
I misread. If you go to the bank machine in the other country they will charge you the 5. If you get currency/cash here they won't. Or they haven't the last four or five times I went, and the teller expressly told me that fee was gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.