Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian credit card with no foreign exchange surcharge..does one exist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E

I know this product exists in the US of A but does anyone know of a CND. CC that doesnt charge a surcharge (I know my Amex is 2.7%) when you are using your card in foreign lands?
Any help appreciated.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by HomerJ
I know this product exists in the US of A but does anyone know of a CND. CC that doesnt charge a surcharge (I know my Amex is 2.7%) when you are using your card in foreign lands?
Any help appreciated.
CIBC is 2.5%.
I am not aware of any Canadian card that does not charge the conversation rate.
My understanding is this is something VISA charges the bank, who inturn charges the consumer.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SE
Any help appreciated.
Get a US dollar credit card from your Canadian bank. Problem solved.

http://cibc.com/ca/visa/us-dollar-visa-card.html

No points earned.

Or get the BoA aeroplan mastercard in USD
https://www6.bankofamerica.com/credi...estTimeout=120

Last edited by fly-yul; Sep 29, 2009 at 10:09 am
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I have the BMO US Mastercard with 0.5% cash back. I had the option of Air Miles, but the cash back is a better deal. There is also a higher cash back percentage, but there is a fee for that card, I forget how much. Mine is no fee, and for the < $500/yr I charge on it, it's the best deal for me. (I have to use a corporate card for all my business travel.)

My BMO statement is in US funds, and I pay it by transferring money from my US chequing account or my US BMO Investorline account. No fees, no exchange rates to deal with.

Don't know about other foreign lands.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have the BMO US Mastercard with 0.5% cash back. I had the option of Air Miles, but the cash back is a better deal. There is also a higher cash back percentage, but there is a fee for that card, I forget how much. Mine is no fee, and for the < $500/yr I charge on it, it's the best deal for me. (I have to use a corporate card for all my business travel.)

My BMO statement is in US funds, and I pay it by transferring money from my US chequing account or my US BMO Investorline account. No fees, no exchange rates to deal with.

Don't know about other foreign lands.
Much better than what CIBC offers! Their US card has an annual fee, no cashback/points, and when you want to pay it you can only pay it inside the branch or by U.S cheque. No paying on-line or over the phone.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Don't you need to be a US citizen or resident (w/ green card) and US address in order to apply for the B of America card?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Do any of the credit unions offer credit cards? I'm in the US and my credit union has a 1% international fee card (they claim the 1% is charged by visa, but its still substantially less than most cards)
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
US Based card that offer no forex fees are:

Charles Schwab Invest First Visa (Issued by BofA/FIA, no annual fee)
All Capital One cards (most have no annual fee)
PNC Bank Signature Visa ($95 annual fee)
Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Any help appreciated.
Most of the suggestions above only work in _one_ foreign land (the US.)
Old Sep 30, 2009, 4:26 am

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Most of the suggestions above only work in _one_ foreign land (the US.)
And many of us travel to those other foreign lands, In fact some of us actively avoid that one specific foreign land.

mpc1
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
Much better than what CIBC offers! Their US card has an annual fee, no cashback/points, and when you want to pay it you can only pay it inside the branch or by U.S cheque. No paying on-line or over the phone.
The BMO US$ M/C has a $25 annual fee too. I am not too sure about the cashback and Air Mile options.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 5:35 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.238 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

I use the hsbc premier mc which doesn't charge forex fee. The benefit is not very good...

Visa and MC both charge 1%+ for forex which is their interbank rate, then credit card issuer charge an additional 2%+ on top

That's the bread and butter for banks...
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by mpc1
And many of us travel to those other foreign lands, In fact some of us actively avoid that one specific foreign land.

mpc1
+1
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by dashi
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.238 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

I use the hsbc premier mc which doesn't charge forex fee. The benefit is not very good...
Are you sure about this? I have this card since a long time ago. I never used it because it doesn't offer much in terms of rewards. However, if it doesn't charge Forex fee, it would be a great perk. I don't remember my bank manager ever mentioned this as a benefit. I'd have to check it out then!

Edited to add:

Just checked the HSBC website. You're wrong.

They charge 2.5% Forex fee. See this link.

Foreign Currency Transactions:
You are charged the MasterCard conversion rate for transactions in a foreign currency, plus an administration fee of 2.5% of the converted amount, on both debits and credits.

Last edited by jarusoba; Oct 18, 2009 at 5:29 pm
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
There is no Canadian Credit Card that does not charge an exchange fee, its an easy revenue maker. Depending on your relationship with your FI, you can obtain a US dollar C/C to avoid those fees and then transfer between the US account and the US Credit Card. This works nicely for me with TD, where the US VISA is free, transfers are free, the US Account is free and I get a discount when buying US cash from my Free Canadian Bank Account to put into my, did I mention Free US Chequing account. FREE IS A GOOD WORD!

Yes I am a bank Shareholder and I love those dividends, but I hate paying fees or service charges so I enjoy those profits made off the backs of others . I tried getting a BoA Aeroplan MC but I have to have a US address and be a US Citizens. You can log onto their website and have a chat with a live person and ask. It took me a few minutes to learn I cant, as for $65 US a year that is cheap and of course you get 25,000 welcome AP. I tried the funny line of 25,000 AP in US so that is 30,000 cdn AP points, but she did not laugh?

Good luck in your search

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Oct 25, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.