Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Using a RV...can I park anywhere overnight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using a RV...can I park anywhere overnight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:54 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by stevechin
PS: On a different note, back in the 1990's there was a movie which featured a bunch of guys renting an RV and going to a basketball game in Los Angeles. Somewhere along the way to the game, they took a detour around traffic and got stuck in unfamiliar territories which was heavily gang infested. They ended up getting attacked by the gang and abandoning their RV (it was set on fire by the gang) and fleeing through the sewers and alleys of the city. I think all but one of the guys got killed off. Anybody remember the name of this movie?
The movie you're thinking of is 'Judgement Night'. I remember watching it long ago when nothing else was on. It was good, in that special 'this is a terrible movie' way. Denis Leary makes it funny enough to be watchable.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by venturarose
did you know that Sam's Club parking lots allow free overnight RV parking ? I guess Sam was an RV'er
That is an inaccurate generalization.

MANY BUT ALL Walmarts and Sam's Clubs allow Overnight RV Parking; many don't allow it.

Walmart's corporate policy is that RVers must obtain permisison from the store manager before parking overnight in a store parking lot. From a practical standpoint, most stores have authorized the Customer Service Desk to grant or deny this permission.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 1, 2010 at 9:15 am Reason: Removed commercial signature
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by jobriant
That is an inaccurate generalization.

MANY BUT ALL Walmarts and Sam's Clubs allow Overnight RV Parking; many don't allow it.

Walmart's corporate policy is that RVers must obtain permisison from the store manager before parking overnight in a store parking lot. From a practical standpoint, most stores have authorized the Customer Service Desk to grant or deny this permission.

Commercial signature removed by the moderator
Well, who knew that there was an administration for this type of thing!
Welcome to the forum Jim. Nice informative first post.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 1, 2010 at 9:16 am
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by tonerman
I believe all of the rest stops on the major Interstates allow overnight stays a
Depends on the state... Some explicitly allow overnight parking up to 12 hours, some limit stops to no more than 3 hours. In California, the limit is 8 hours, and there is an explicit "no camping" rule. For motorhomes, this means you're probably OK if you remain in travel mode.....but putting out awnings or slides may get you talked to or cited by the CHP.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by mlshanks
Depends on the state... Some explicitly allow overnight parking up to 12 hours, some limit stops to no more than 3 hours. In California, the limit is 8 hours, and there is an explicit "no camping" rule. For motorhomes, this means you're probably OK if you remain in travel mode.....but putting out awnings or slides may get you talked to or cited by the CHP.
I've been watching a guy on youtube, "Norm Wicks" on youtube, he has 150 or so videos of what has happened to him and his son while in their motorhome in CA. They have a Handi cap blue card in the window, that gives them the right to park in many places you & I can't BUT the police don't know the laws or want to know the laws or so it seems. They park over night, with out slide outs or awnings but he still receives many complaints and has the police waking him at all hours?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by trucker101
BUT the police don't know the laws or want to know the laws or so it seems.
You just have to look at the sheer volume of laws they're responsible for to understand they don't have everything at their fingertips. The more common laws that are enforced in CA are found in the California Vehicle Code or Penal Code, but then you have to add on such things as the local Municipal Code, Business and Professions Code, Health and Safety Code, and Welfare and Institutions Code. I think we even have a Fish and Game Code, too (not that we used that much in an urban setting). Being up to date on every parking regulation is probably not at the top of the list when police officers are responsible for tens of thousands of laws in CA as it is.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by tom911
You just have to look at the sheer volume of laws they're responsible for to understand they don't have everything at their fingertips.
And consider first and foremost whether it's likely that anyone would complain if you park your RV in a particular spot and spend the night. If you're in a place where no one would object, it's quite unlikely the police will care, whatever happens to be in the state statutes and city ordinances.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
In re: signage, a lot of times parking restrictions are only posted at the city limits and no in the municipality itself. E.g., Claremont does not allow overnight parking (or more specifically, no parking on city streets between 2am-6am Daily) without a permit. Pasadena and Arcadia follow similar rules. These restrictions are posted ONLY when one crosses the boundaries incoming, and not on the usual street signs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.