Reload this Page >

Great dining in Monterey/Carmel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great dining in Monterey/Carmel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Discussion of In-N-Out, McDonald's, etc., has been moved to a new thread:
TWA884
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:08 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Updates:

Tarpys remains excellent. It's our go to place after evening arrivals at the airport, just a few minutes east of the airport. Many of the standards are still on the menu and a few interesting ones have been added.

Rocky Point Restaurant was a disappointment. Food quality was poor. Onion rings and calamari strips were obviously frozen and heated. Crab sliders tasted of old crab. The location can't be bettered, so it will remain on my list but not for a full meal.

Somewhere, I had read that the restaurant didn't take bookings for outside, only for inside. When I couldn't make a booking on opentable.com, I didn't think much of it as I wanted to eat outside anyway. When we arrived, we were told that folks with bookings were awaiting the outside tables. Frustrating.

We drove on to Nepenthe where we had a coffee and dessert break. Peanut butter cookies were excellent.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Updates:

Tarpys remains excellent. It's our go to place after evening arrivals at the airport, just a few minutes east of the airport. Many of the standards are still on the menu and a few interesting ones have been added.

Rocky Point Restaurant was a disappointment. Food quality was poor. Onion rings and calamari strips were obviously frozen and heated. Crab sliders tasted of old crab. The location can't be bettered, so it will remain on my list but not for a full meal.

Somewhere, I had read that the restaurant didn't take bookings for outside, only for inside. When I couldn't make a booking on opentable.com, I didn't think much of it as I wanted to eat outside anyway. When we arrived, we were told that folks with bookings were awaiting the outside tables. Frustrating.

We drove on to Nepenthe where we had a coffee and dessert break. Peanut butter cookies were excellent.

Oddly enough I drive past Tarpys every day and I still haven't been there. Their sister restaurant Rio Grill is excellent.

Rocky Point is only good for its location and maybe desert/wine. The previous owners have passed away and the new ownership group hasn't run it well since.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:20 pm

Any Updates on Carmel by the sea restaurants?
shuuy likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Post Ranch Inn and Vantana Big Sur reopen in July. They are only allowing guests who are booked into their rooms to dine in their restaurants. Nepenthe reopened for dining a week ago.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dascc
Oddly enough I drive past Tarpys every day and I still haven't been there. Their sister restaurant Rio Grill is excellent.
Try Tarpy's, you won't be disappointed. I was the same way, driving past it all the time but never going in. I finally tried it, liked it, and have been many times since with never a bad experience.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Tarpys is our top go to restaurant in the area. Rio Grill is good but Tarpys is more spacious. They have tables outdoors which I prefer at this time.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Tony Tollner is retiring. He sold Tarpy's, Rio Grill, and Montrio.

After more than 30 years at the helm of restaurant group Downtown Dining, Tony Tollner is retiring, and selling his restaurant dynasty. (His plans now include motorcycle trips and hiking.)

Ken Donkersloot and Mona Calis of Carmel bought the three restaurants in the group, Montrio Bistro, Tarpy's Roadhouse and Rio Grill. They plan to keep the general managers and chefs at all three as they transition. At Montrio, that's Chef Justin Robarge and GM Kathy Solley; at Tarpy's, GM Debbie Edwards and Chef Gabby Arguilles; and at Rio Grill, GM Gabe de la Vega and Chef Eduardo Coronel.

Trio of legendary restaurants Montrio, Tarpy's and Rio Grill are sold to new owners. | Food Blog | montereycountyweekly.com
Old Jun 28, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
An alternative to Nepenthe, three miles further south, is Coast Big Sur. I think they've been around for about seven years, but recently only came to my attention on social media. From what I can tell, the view is equally beautiful and the food looks great.

Coast Big Sur

SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you. This is my first to hear of Coast Big Sur.

Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Thank you. This is my first to hear of Coast Big Sur.

Given the route, ~23 miles per hour seems about right. And probably the return after dinner will be in the dark.

David
Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
And probably the return after dinner will be in the dark.

David
It's a midday restaurant, likely intended for those driving the route north or south. Right now, it's open 11-4, Thurs - Monday. We will be in the Big Sur area for several days so will do this one lunch and Nepenthe another lunch. Ventana is now all inclusive but doesn't have the view of these restaurants.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
It's a midday restaurant, likely intended for those driving the route north or south. Right now, it's open 11-4, Thurs - Monday. We will be in the Big Sur area for several days so will do this one lunch and Nepenthe another lunch. Ventana is now all inclusive but doesn't have the view of these restaurants.
Looks like they had a Sunday Supper in the past. Ah well for now.

David
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
my other favorite Big Sur spot was Big Sur Bakery for brunch. Great food for table service.

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Try Tarpy's, you won't be disappointed. I was the same way, driving past it all the time but never going in. I finally tried it, liked it, and have been many times since with never a bad experience.
I loved tarpys in 2002 and started eating at Rio Grill in 2009. Glad to know their connection. Rio Grill is closer to our lodging so we just eat there.

Tarpys is our top go to restaurant in the area. Rio Grill is good but Tarpys is more spacious. They have tables outdoors which I prefer at this time.
agreed about essential outside dining...

I used to think that the main hostess at Rio Grill was an owner. Who are the new owners - what else do they have?

we really loved Affina in carmel. Yummy.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:30 pm

Carmel/Big Sur Romantic Restaurant Recommendations

We’re traveling to the Carmel/Big Sur area for our anniversary and staying at the Hyatt Highlands. For our anniversary night we wanted to do a nice romantic dinner where it requires dressing up. I check Sierra Mar at Post Ranch Inn but they’re booked. Any other good romantic restaurant recommendations in Carmel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.