Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

How long from exiting the BART at SFO to the UA check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2003, 8:47 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Am going to take BART from the East Bay to SFO this Friday; am curious as to how long a walk/ride it is from where the BART lets you off to the UA domestic check-in? Any explicit directions on how to get there and wrong-turns to watch out for?
Old Jul 15, 2003, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
I took BART recently, and it's a bit of a hike from the train station to the UA domestic check in. You walk off the train, and have to go through the check in area closest to UA's international gates, and then walk on the connector to Terminal 3 - you end up at the end of the check-in area (there's a security checkpoint on your left, don't go through it if you still need to check in). I'm thinking it's a 10 minute walk.

You may want to take the AirTrain from the BART station to the check in. It'll drop you off above the check in area. You just go down the escalators and you're between the two check in areas. My last trip - only the check in area closest to the Int'l Terminal was open - so you may want to head there. Time is dependent on where the AirTrain is - but once I got on - it was 2 minutes to the drop off point, and just a quick walk across a bridge connector and down the escalator to the check in area.

Good luck.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:30 pm

From BART to UA check-in is 8 minutes max. Once you step off BART go upstairs to the "Air Train" station. Get on the 3 car tram, get off at the 2nd stop for UA. Go down the escalator and into the terminal. Its the easiest ride I've had to SFO. Now if you want to walk from the BART station, that would be a hike, especially with bags.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
To be safe, allow one hour from downtown SF until the time you are at the check-in counter. The BART ride is 35 min from Montgomery Street, plus waiting time from for the SFO airtrain. Trust me, you don't want to walk from BART (which leaves you off at the international terminal) to the UA terminal. Fortunately the airtrain is not more than 100 feet from the BART exit.

Did the whole thing a couple of weeks ago - worked like a charm. Much nicer than Chicago where you have to walk almost a mile to get to the El.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 7:27 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thanks to all for the advice.

It could not have been easier! Took the BART from Concord. Transferred at the Balboa station (which means getting off and waiting for the next train -- it was about 3 minutes). Exited at SFO. The signs to the shuttle train are very clearly marked. Again about a 3 minute wait, and the train deposits you across from the UA check-in
Old Aug 1, 2003, 12:12 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Just remember when riding the AirTrain...

<stern voice on>

Please HOLD ON. Please put luggage cart brake to ON.

<stern voice off>

Old Aug 2, 2003, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Don't forget the yocal's I've gotten on AirTrain "Now, who do you suppose is driving the train"
Old Aug 2, 2003, 6:25 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickP 1K:
Don't forget the yocal's I've gotten on AirTrain "Now, who do you suppose is driving the train"</font>
LOL... yes. There's that. And the fact people can't read. "What terminal is this?", "where's United?" ugh.

But honestly, the AirTrain at SFO is fabulous if you fly UA and have a rental car to drop off/pick up. The trip is a breeze, and it's drop off points are very convenient. Now the terminal 1 mess is a WHOLE other story, but if there's a bridge from the AirTrain to the terminal, it's great. Makes me wish LAX would get with the program.

- Tony
Old Aug 3, 2003, 2:35 pm
21A

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TonySCV:
Please HOLD ON. Please put luggage cart brake to ON.</font>
Please STAND CLEAR of the DOORS! You are delaying the departure of this train!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.