Search

2 day stopover

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2003, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
2 day stopover

Hi,

My wife and I are travelling from the UK to Auckland in April and may go via LAX. If we stopped for 2 days, does anyone have any suggestions of where to go to chill out.

We've been to LA itself before so would prefer somthing different, preferably quick and easy to get to. How easy would Palm Springs be to reach for example, and what's the weather like in April???

Thanks, Paul
Old Nov 18, 2003, 5:07 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Weather would be great in Palm Springs during April. It's about a 2.5 hour drive from LAX. Per worldclimate.com for April:

Average temp in Celsius: 21.3
Average Max.temp: 30.5
Average low temp: 12.2
Average rainfall: 5.1mm

Nice huh
Old Nov 19, 2003, 4:04 pm

Palm Springs is very nice! Their official website that includes Accomodation Booking is www.palm-springs.org

I've stayed at several places but my favorite so far is The Chase Hotel under the Historic Inns category, which is mere steps from Downtown Palm Springs. They allow dogs but all rooms are non-smoking. I'm going to try out The Orchid Tree Inn shortly as The Chase was fully-booked for US Thanksgiving.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 20, 2003, 8:14 pm

I'd suggest Santa Barbara, a nice town just 150km up the coast from LA. During the three-hour drive up there, you can gaze at the coast on your left and farmland below the mountains on your right. LA will seem so far away.

A really nice place to stay is Fess Parker's Doubletree Resort, right across the street from the beach.

If you don't feel like driving a rental car on the other side of the road, you can take a train from Downtown LA's Union Station. Union Station isn't very accessible from LA Airport so you can take a taxi or ride three urban rail lines.

Santa Barbara Station is a few blocks from the beach. More city info is at www.santabarbaraca.com .
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:34 am

Santa Barbara is also great! I like staying right on the main street, State Street, at the beautifully renovated Hotel Santa Barbara www.hotelsantabarbara.com which is a 10 minute walk from the beach but in the heart of the shopping/entertainment district.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 12:16 pm

I would second Santa Barbara over Palm Springs. Closer, easier to get to and more to do on a short trip. In April the weather should be beautiful. Rent a surrey and cruise along the beach or check out the Santa Barbara Zoo. Its less daunting than the LA or San Diego zoos and has beautiful views.

http://www.santabarbarazoo.org/

If you want to stay closer to LA, why not stay in a hotel on the beach in Santa Monica? Depending on traffic you can reach Santa Monica in 20 minutes from LAX.

Anyway, thats my two cents. Enjoy your trip!

[This message has been edited by kef0913 (edited Nov 26, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.