Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Encounter Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2002, 4:54 am
Original Poster

LAX Encounter Restaurant

Hi there:
I will be having a long layover in LAX towards the end of the month and was planning on having dinner in the Encounter Restaurant. I have been to LAX many times but have never thought of going over. I think it will be good for a change.
Anyways, I was wondering how to get from T8 to the restaurant. I guess you can probably walk...but what direction do you go?. And also, are there any other forms of transport to the restaurant (shuttle bus or something0?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 2:47 pm

UA888-SJO, welcome to FlyerTalk.

A short three minute walk is about your only viable option and the best one. As you exit Terminal 8, turn left and follow the sidewalk a short distance beyond Terminal 7 and as you approach toward Terminal 6 you will see the unique restaurant structure on the right across the street. Simply cross the street at the signal and you are practically there.

Bon Apptit!

Encounter Restaurant - LAX
http://www.iflylax.com/lax_encounter.html
209 World Way at LAX
Its Hours Are:
11:00 AM - 9:00 PM
7 Days A Week

------------------
Never ask a question that you don't want to know the answer.

Last edited by MRLIMO; Oct 11, 2004 at 7:12 pm
Old Dec 9, 2002, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, MRLIMO

That's about as accurate a response as anyone could have hoped for. I look forward to visiting the restaurant.

Thanks again
Old Feb 5, 2003, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
How's the food in this place?
Old Feb 6, 2003, 7:02 am
csb

Lousy hours for Easterners--11-9. They don't open early enough to get breakfast before an early flight home and they don't stay open late enough to get a drink before a red-eye back East.
Old Feb 8, 2003, 3:17 am

The place is overpriced.

------------------
PA747
Old Feb 19, 2003, 1:47 pm

Personally I'm a big fan. Yup, it's a bit overpriced, but the Pumpkin Ravioli is fantastic. They also have a unique presentation of the Ceaser Salad (although on one visit they didn't bother.. ). Great views over the airport too.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 5:54 pm

Overpriced? Not any worse than any other food establishment at the airport. For instance, a bowl of clam chowder costs $7.00 inside the terminal, but $7.50 at Encounter (and you get nicer bread to go with it). Entrees are, of course, more, but given the space-age styling, over-the-top decorating, and great views, I think it's priced just fine. The only thing that needs improvement is the rather nondescript groundfloor entrance lobby.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 6:03 pm

In my mind the bigger downside is that it's part of the ever-spreading Disney empire.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 9:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Good news! Encounter is revamping its menu and introducing a happy hour at the bar. This will begin around 01APR.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 7:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by j7r7r7:
In my mind the bigger downside is that it's part of the ever-spreading Disney empire.</font>

Really? Well, there goes my appetite to eat there!
Old Jun 4, 2003, 12:30 pm

How does Encounter rate? We come from the San Fernando Valley just to dine there, having no "official" airport business at all.

Yes, it is a tad expensive, but the quality of the food, plus the automatic "airport mark-up" make it a worthwhile dining endeavour. The view is great as is the prime rib and fish.

RECOMMENDATION for two people - you can have a great meal by just dining on appetizers and a salad!!

Restaurant's GM Rory has been a restaurant mgr for 30 years and knows his stuff.

RECOMMENDED Los Angeles dining (kids menu, too!).

[This message has been edited by dhmarcus (edited 06-04-2003).]

[This message has been edited by dhmarcus (edited 06-04-2003).]
Old Jun 4, 2003, 2:15 pm

Welcome back to FlyerTalk, dhmarcus. Great review, thanks. I drive from Orange County and always enjoy dining at Encounter.

By the way, Encounter Restaurant is listed on page A10 in the Fine Dining section of the "Greater Los Angeles/Long Beach including South Bay" Entertainment 2003 Book. The discount is "up to $26 value...when a second Lunch or Dinner Entree of equal or greater value is purchased." The membership card is required (rather than a coupon).

At this time, I believe all books are available for $10 each plus approximately $5 for postage and handling.
Entertainment Book
www.entertainment.com

Bon Apptit!

------------------
The wealthiest person is a poor man at times, compared to the man with a satisfied mind.

Last edited by MRLIMO; Oct 11, 2004 at 7:11 pm
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Took a friend of mine to dinner there last weekend for his b-day (we're both travel/airline nuts). I had been there before but he hadn't and the food was good (and I think he enjoyed the place). Yea, a little pricey but I enjoy the atmosphere and the food IS tasty and interesting. Our waitress was very attentive as well.

We got there at 7 and the place was pretty quiet, but by the time we left around 8:30 it had really picked up (then again a few 747's had arrived while we were sitting eating/watching so that might be why it got more crowded).

Anyway if ya have some time to kill at LAX (or live in the area and want a unique dining experience) check out Encounter.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: NZG,QF S
Update please

[QUOTE=UA888-SJO]
I will be having a long layover in LAX towards the end of the month and was planning on having dinner in the Encounter Restaurant QUOTE]

We also will have a 4hr layover while travelling DFW-LAX-AKL.
How does the restaurant rate these days?

I do have PriorityPass membership but with no lounges in Term 4 or TBI , we need to look to alternatives to pass the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.