Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do during layovers at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2001, 9:32 am
Original Poster

What to do during layovers at LAX

I find myself with international connections through LAX quite frequently. Sometimes these layovers are several hours.

What are some interesting things to do, or at least make the wait more pleasant, at LAX?
Old Jul 27, 2001, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
I would recommend wandering over to the "Theme Restaurant" that resides in the center of the airport. It is now called Encounters and is located in the landmark War-of-the-Worlds looking building that most people associate as the symbol of LAX.

It is a pretty creative restaurant with interesting detail that follows along the sci-fi theme that it has adopted. The food is pretty good and it requires a little walk to get there- something I enjoy during a layover.

It seems to close early though, so late night layovers won't get in. I think it closes around 9pm or so.

Also, if you are connecting from the on an outward bound int'l flight, the Bradley terminal has some nice restaurants and shops before passport control. I actually enjoy just seeing the different int'l airlines and all their marketing materials.

Hope this helps, Kevin
Old Aug 10, 2001, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
I second the Encounter recommendation. I'll often eat there if I have a long haul flight that leaves late. That way I've had a good meal and can fall asleep right away on the plane.
Old Aug 10, 2001, 5:30 pm

Programs: PSA, Air Cal, Tarom Glam Miles (pre-devaluation)
If you have a really long layover (4 hours), there are direct buses that go to Santa Monica and 3rd Street Promenade - the Big Blue Bus is what it's called - Traveler's Aid downstairs by baggage claim can tell you which to take (they are also a source of other stuff to do near the airport). You could do it shorter, but you'd want time to hang out once you got there.

Cheers,
Irene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.