LAX Expansion

Old Jul 7, 01, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
LAX Expansion

Does anyone here know the plans for the proposed LAX expansion? I have heard that it may take on more of a layout similar to ATL- Expanding out towards or past the current AA, TW, FX, and CO hangers and offices behind the Bradley Int'l Terminal

I can't imagine how bad congestion would be during any expansion- but I suppose it has to be done anyway. I wonder if they have any plans to expand the Light Rail line the extra 2 miles or so directly into the airport. That would be one way to get Los Angelenos to use Public Transit...

I like the new layout, though some of it will take some getting used to.

Kevin

------------------
Old Jul 7, 01, 1:54 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
The rumors I've heard pretty much agree with what you posted: expansion westward and light rail into LAX. 'Bout time, IMHO.
Old Jul 7, 01, 2:18 pm

This site might be interesting: http://www.lax2015.org/
Old Jul 7, 01, 5:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kev LAX:
... I wonder if they have any plans to expand the Light Rail line the extra 2 miles or so directly into the airport. That would be one way to get Los Angelenos to use Public Transit...

</font>
they would need to do more than just add 2 miles. there is no way i am leaving my car in norwalk and riding through lakewood and compton!

the better solution would be to connect lax with ont, long beach, burbank and sna via dedicated rail. this way the 5 airports could operate as one. the same could be done with most metro areas that have multiple airports.

Old Jul 8, 01, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Nan358-

That was a great resource- I would recommend anyone who is curious about the future of LAX to take a look at it.

Creating a western entrance to the airport and forcing everyone to use it instead of the eastern one is counter-intuitive because of the added distance from the 405 and 105 freeways. I'm sure they know better than I.

THX1138 (love the handle)- I hear you on leaving the car in certain places; it will simply give people some options... particularly in 15 years based on the traffic congestion predicted by then.

Kevin
Old Jul 8, 01, 8:05 am

kev,

i will continue to happily fly out of ONT with no problem. i just refuse to do LAX
Old Jul 9, 01, 4:42 am

I really like the idea of taking Light Rail into LAX (if I have to go in the first place, that is). I say this after my first two trips to London and not having to have anyone pick me up from LHR. I think the key would be to have designated 'Park and Ride' stations with secured parking and express trains to LAX on a specific schedule. I don't mind riding from Norwalk if my car's in a secure lot that I take a bus to and from, and the train goes directly to LAX with no stops. It would be even better from Fullerton, but you can't have everything. I'd be willing to pay in the neighborhood of $20 (Round Trip and in addition to the parking fee) for such a ticket, knowing that I don't have to drive, worry about traffic, or even stay awake for the trip.
Old Jul 9, 01, 10:09 am

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I agree 100% with the Light Rail. I would love to miss the 105 traffic on a Thursday or Friday afternoon. I have used the rail in Chicago to the airport during the heaviest traffic and had no problem on the "express" trains... I get to rest with my luggage....
Old Jul 11, 01, 11:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
About 4 months ago, as a test, I took the G bus to the Greenline to the Blueline to the Redline to the Universal City Station. It took 90 minutes. The Greenline and the Redline were fine, but the Blue Line felt very unsafe. Thankfully, there were two Sherriff Deputies on board. For the approx. $2 bucks, I still think that driving is my better option. I was really disappointed.
Old Jul 12, 01, 11:08 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
What I don't like about the Blue Line isn't the passengers but the delays when it runs on the street a few stops before 7th/Metro.

I noticed the poor neighborhoods we passed through, but I didn't think the passengers were any different or "dangerous".
Old Jul 13, 01, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
No lite-rail will be built to LAX. The taxi drivers won't allow it. That's what killed the project before and it will kill it again. As for the LAX expansion, ask me in 2015. By then we'll have narrowed the completion date down to sometime in 2025. I wish I were joking.

Old Jul 13, 01, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Thats such a shame- thanks for insight stimpy.

The fact that the city/airport would cave on something that would benefit the masses- people who are trying to get to the airport on mass transit AND individuals driving there in their own cars is a real shame.

Considering that if stimpy is correct and expansion wouldn't even be completed before 2025, imagine how bad the conngestion will be. Hopefully there will be more alternatives by then.

Kevin
Old Aug 4, 01, 4:27 pm

Programs: OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
No lite-rail will be built to LAX. The taxi drivers won't allow it. That's what killed the project before and it will kill it again</font>
How is it that the taxi drivers have the political clout to kill any city government effort to extend the light rail to LAX? Do the taxi drivers actually have enough political savvy to have organized some sort of powerful lobby? Are they making big campaign contributions to the mayor or some city politician? Are the taxi drivers rallying some sort of vocal citizen outcry? As someone who doesn't live in LA but passes through often (and who has used the light rail on occasion), I'm very curious...

Maybe when SFO opens its BART station next year, and it hopefuly becomes a huge success, LA will follow suit.

[This message has been edited by anthonyanthony (edited 08-04-2001).]
Old Aug 4, 01, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
I live in Hollywood within walking distance of one of the Red Line stations, and I've taken the Red/Blue/Green Lines many times to and from LAX (mainly because I'm a cheapskate).

The worst part of the trip, in my opinion, is the bloody "G" shuttle bus you have to take between the Aviation Green Line station and LAX. The buses seem to be few and far between, and they're filled almost entirely with loud, VERY foul-mouthed airline employees. And since the buses are usually so full, everybody sits on the luggage racks, making it very difficult to find a place to put your luggage. It's even worse going from LAX to the Green Line station. Heaven help you if you're getting on the bus at Terminal 7, the last stop before the Green Line. Sometimes, the buses are so full, the driver won't even stop, and you'll be stuck waiting for the next bus!

I definitely would not recommend the MTA for tourists. It's fine for those of us who live in LA, but for someone from out of town, PASS!
Old Aug 4, 01, 8:49 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I've taken the G bus and Metro Rail (and with my wife and three kids). I didn't hear any foul language. Passengers were OK, but not a big deal. Better than driving IMHO.

Search this Thread