Search

Crosswalks - Stop for Pedestrians or Risk a Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2003, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Crosswalks - Stop for Pedestrians or Risk a Ticket

Just an fyi since the car rental agencies don't tell you - pedestrians have the right-of-way at crosswalks in California. You must stop for them or rick getting a ticket.

If there's a cross-walk at a signal light, the light dictates (ie, red, green) who has the right-of-way, but for non-light crosswalks if there's a pedestrian at or in the crosswalk you need to stop.

------------------
Sharon
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:43 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This law is strictly enforced in Santa Monica, particularly on Montana Avenue.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If there's a cross-walk at a signal light, the light dictates (ie, red, green) who has the right-of-way</font>
Actually, I believe California law specifically states that the pedestrian always has the right-of-way, even if they cross on a red. The pedestrian crossing against a red is in violation of the law themselves, but they still have the right-of-way and you have to stop for them.

I remember seeing this in a California DMV handbook some time ago:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">REMEMBER: The pedestrian ALWAYS has the right-of-way.</font>
This makes some degree of sense, especially if you don't find lawsuits, jail time, state fines, increased auto insurance premiums and automobile body-shop bills particularly attractive.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:50 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
This law is strictly enforced in Santa Monica, particularly on Montana Avenue.</font>
Also true on Brand Blvd. in the city of Glendale...

edited to add -

The real dangerous places are some of the really wide (two or more lanes in each direction) streets that exist in places like the San Fernando Valley. LAPD does a sting on the holidays; they dress an undercover cop in a Santa suit or like the Easter Bunny and crosses the road. He/she signals units standing by for any motorist that doesn't give the right of way. Makes for fun viewing on the morning news...

[This message has been edited by FlyinHawaiian (edited 07-11-2003).]
Old Jul 11, 2003, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Also true on Brand Blvd. in the city of Glendale...</font>
Yup. My cigar club used to be right across the street from Damon's. Used to sit there with my buddies looking out the window and it was like watching a sporting event.

Oooh. Oooh. He's not stopping. He's not stopping. He went right by! There they go! BUSTED!
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
What I find interesting is that Calif drivers know they have to stop for a ped in a crosswalk & will come to a screeching halt.

But 2-3 cars will regularly blow through a red light right after it's changed! Whether pedestrian or car I always look when lights have changed to make sure no one's running it.

But since I've heard out of towners say hey, someone crosses in my (fill in the blank city) they get run over, a # of times from out of towners & because the car rental agencies don't tell them about the law here, thought I'd give a heads up.

------------------
Sharon
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:10 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
It's actually illegal in California for a motorist to begin driving before the pedestrian steps onto the curb on the otherside of the roadway. Granted this is a little ridiculous on a four-lane roadway, but it is the law. Most police tend to look the other way on this so long as the pedestrian is well clear of the car.

There's a group in San Francisco that goes around spraypainting outlines of bodies on roadways where pedestrians have been hit and killed. A pretty blunt reminder to be careful when you see one. The city doesn't sanction these and usually spray paints over them within a couple of days.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 07-14-2003).]
Old Sep 2, 2003, 1:12 am

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
This law is strictly enforced in Santa Monica, particularly on Montana Avenue.</font>
Three blocks from where I live. Be warned! Santa Monica must be the most pedestrian friendly city IN THE WORLD! Extra-Bright traffic lights, and those new little lights on the road itself when people are crossing crosswalks.

Every time I visit, like, New York, it's just... A different universe out there.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 8:15 am

Programs: M&M,UA,LH, Amex *wood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aaronma:
Three blocks from where I live. Be warned! Santa Monica must be the most pedestrian friendly city IN THE WORLD! Extra-Bright traffic lights, and those new little lights on the road itself when people are crossing crosswalks.</font>
You should visit Europe for sure I would suggest Hamburg or Amsterdam

Jan

Old Sep 6, 2003, 9:40 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
In US , maybe. In the world - no way

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aaronma:
Three blocks from where I live. Be warned! Santa Monica must be the most pedestrian friendly city IN THE WORLD! Extra-Bright traffic lights, and those new little lights on the road itself when people are crossing crosswalks.

Every time I visit, like, New York, it's just... A different universe out there.
</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.