Reload this Page >

Pacific Coast Highway 2 stop / 4 night route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pacific Coast Highway 2 stop / 4 night route

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:48 am

When we were there we saw several pairs of sea otters at Morro Bay with two of them very close. Also there were many sea lions on rocks out in the middle of the harbor. However do not miss Monterey Bay. You should also see sea otters if you do the 17 mile drive at Pebble Beach, I think.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Well now Im getting very excited. California beach safari! Seriously though this is totally our type of thing on trips. I had to laugh re the indoor Hearst hike. We werent going to do the castle bc have done that on so many trips in Europe. But maybe for the hike. : )

Im thinking after 2 nights in SB, we wing it for a night but then reserve the 4th night in Monterey. That gives us wiggle room but I can feel somewhat less anxious. We will have the 11 and 17 year olds with us and I usually like to have hotels nailed down but it seems like this area will have plenty of last minute options. And we will have the car.

You guys have been fantastic! I knew Id get great advice here.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Well now Im getting very excited. California beach safari! Seriously though this is totally our type of thing on trips. I had to laugh re the indoor Hearst hike. We werent going to do the castle bc have done that on so many trips in Europe. But maybe for the hike. : )
Just to be sure, you know Hearst Castle is not really a castle right? It's just a really big home estate, but I am not kidding about the hiking. There are a lot of steps....
Physical Requirements to Tour Hearst Castle

The tour is interesting not really because of looking at someone's house, but listening to the history of it by the tour guide. Also since you are visiting in May, I would suggest their evening tour. They have actors/actresses dressed up 1930's outfit walking around the estate grounds. You do need to reserve ahead of time as those tours get filled up.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Need
Just to be sure, you know Hearst Castle is not really a castle right? It's just a really big home estate, but I am not kidding about the hiking. There are a lot of steps....
Physical Requirements to Tour Hearst Castle

The tour is interesting not really because of looking at someone's house, but listening to the history of it by the tour guide. Also since you are visiting in May, I would suggest their evening tour. They have actors/actresses dressed up 1930's outfit walking around the estate grounds. You do need to reserve ahead of time as those tours get filled up.
Yes! I know not really a castle. Great suggestion for evening. Different experience and gives us something to do beyond dinner for restaurant. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Point Lobos State Park is worth checking out. We saw lots of Sea Otters and a Joshua tree. It is near Carmel by the Sea.

--Jon
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Point Lobos State Park is worth checking out. We saw lots of Sea Otters and a Joshua tree. It is near Carmel by the Sea.

--Jon
Honestly all this thread info is PERFECT. Adding Point Lobos to my list. Ive never driven the CA coast and now am wondering why on earth not! Even spouse who whines when any trip exceeds 5 nights is ALL IN for 9.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:53 am

As an alternative to part of the coast road, the drive through the Santa Cruz mountains between SFO and Santa Cruz is very pleasant.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
At that time of year the low altitude onshore flow is strongest, so you can probably leave sunglasses at home and definitely bring a light coat.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:01 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Google the places on this map - https://goo.gl/maps/8Zs8ZuM1KNMqg1Pu8

I'd recommend visiting a couple of old Spanish missions en route; in addition to terrific scenery, the coast highway is also fairly historic. I'd especially recommend Mission Santa Barbara (the "queen of the missions") and the lovely old mission grounds in Carmel. You could also stop for a coffee at Mission San Juan Capistrano, right about where US 101/I-5 swings inland north of San Diego. (Oh, and nomenclature: "PCH" is the term used mostly in southern California, and refers to Highway 1, generally between LA and, maybe, Ventura or Santa Barbara. North of there you'll hear "Highway 1" or "101" rather than "PCH.")

Mission Santa Barbara

You'll encounter seals and sea lions everywhere along the coast, usually laying on the docks in fishing ports, including Fishermen's Wharves in both Monterey and San Francisco. However, given your interests, I think the big Piedras Blancas elephant seal colony on the beach just north of the Hearst Castle parking lot is a major target. Fascinating.

IMO the best scenery and hiking site en route is at Point Lobos, just south of Carmel. If you spend one or two nights in the Monterey area, I'd strongly suggest allocating half a day for this amazing place. (Not my photo.)

The Monterey aquarium is fantastic, but I'd bet your group would also get a kick out of the old beachfront amusement park in funky Santa Cruz.

Finally, if you want to see some big trees, both/either Henry Cowell or Big Basin Redwoods State Parks, north of Santa Cruz, are must-stops. I'd probably recommend Henry Cowell because it's more on the way.

chrisl137, strickerj and Need like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Gardyloo

I'd recommend visiting a couple of old Spanish missions en route; in addition to terrific scenery, the coast highway is also fairly historic. I'd especially recommend Mission Santa Barbara (the "queen of the missions") and the lovely old mission grounds in Carmel. You could also stop for a coffee at Mission San Juan Capistrano, right about where US 101/I-5 swings inland north of San Diego. (Oh, and nomenclature: "PCH" is the term used mostly in southern California, and refers to Highway 1, generally between LA and, maybe, Ventura or Santa Barbara. North of there you'll hear "Highway 1" or "101" rather than "PCH.").
Just a couple of comments on the highway nomenclature. US-101 has its southern end in East Los Angeles at a big freeway interchange, so you won't see signs for it in San Juan Capistrano (which is 50-60 mi. farther south, in Orange County).

And US-101 and CA-1 are two different highways, which "overlap" each other (i.e., they're the same roadway) in only a few places in California -- a lengthy stretch in Ventura & Santa Barbara counties, and the short stretch on the Golden Gate Bridge. CA-1 mostly hugs the coast, while US-101 is mostly farther inland from the coast.
TWA884, abmj-jr and pudgym29 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo

I'd recommend visiting a couple of old Spanish missions en route; in addition to terrific scenery, the coast highway is also fairly historic. I'd especially recommend Mission Santa Barbara (the "queen of the missions") and the lovely old mission grounds in Carmel. You could also stop for a coffee at Mission San Juan Capistrano, right about where US 101/I-5 swings inland north of San Diego. (Oh, and nomenclature: "PCH" is the term used mostly in southern California, and refers to Highway 1, generally between LA and, maybe, Ventura or Santa Barbara. North of there you'll hear "Highway 1" or "101" rather than "PCH.")

Mission Santa Barbara

You'll encounter seals and sea lions everywhere along the coast, usually laying on the docks in fishing ports, including Fishermen's Wharves in both Monterey and San Francisco. However, given your interests, I think the big Piedras Blancas elephant seal colony on the beach just north of the Hearst Castle parking lot is a major target. Fascinating.

IMO the best scenery and hiking site en route is at Point Lobos, just south of Carmel. If you spend one or two nights in the Monterey area, I'd strongly suggest allocating half a day for this amazing place. (Not my photo.)

The Monterey aquarium is fantastic, but I'd bet your group would also get a kick out of the old beachfront amusement park in funky Santa Cruz.

Finally, if you want to see some big trees, both/either Henry Cowell or Big Basin Redwoods State Parks, north of Santa Cruz, are must-stops. I'd probably recommend Henry Cowell because it's more on the way.

Gardyloo!!!!!! So much excellence in all this. I love the photos! Everything we like. Im going to get this all in my spreadsheet. And yes my crew would indeed like the SC beach amusement park! Thanks so much for all this!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I'm not sure if your trip is still happening with the current pandemic. If you want to hike, make sure visit Mt. Tamalpais. It offers great views of the Pacific Ocean, Bay and the City. It's a bit north of San Francisco.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Putnik
I'm not sure if your trip is still happening with the current pandemic. If you want to hike, make sure visit Mt. Tamalpais. It offers great views of the Pacific Ocean, Bay and the City. It's a bit north of San Francisco.
It pleased me so much to see this thread pop up. I'd forgotten about it in the craziness lately. I'm 99% sure we won't make it in late May since likely travel will be problematic with the pandemic. But we could reschedule for August, if travel okay then.

Thanks for the tip!
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Putnik
Yes, Mt. Tam is a must-see if you're in the area. It's the same mountain that has Muir Woods near its base. But even if you're not visiting Muir Woods, drive up Mt. Tam and do some walks/hikes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.