Wiki Posts
Search

Santa Barbara, US-101, and fires...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Santa Barbara, US-101, and fires...

Hello,

My wife and I are supposed to be driving down the 101 next Friday (12/22) to spend a weekend in Santa Barbara before continuing on to L.A. but I'm wondering whether we should cancel or adjust our plans as a result of the ongoing wild fires? How bad do you expect the air quality / smoke will be in Santa Barbara and does anyone know if there's any serious risk of the fires spreading further north (I understand the hills of Santa Barbara county are already burning) or is it likely that area will be contained? Should the fires likely have any effect on our weekend in Santa Barbara? Will it restrict or limit our ability to spend time outdoors because of the air quality (ash and smoke)? Are we likely to experience crazy traffic driving into Santa Barbara or will it only get really bad along the stretch of 101 south of SB driving into Los Angeles? What about the coastal hwy? How bad will the traffic be driving into LA?

Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The fires are moving north and Santa Barbara County has several mandatory evacuations this weekend. The southern California fires are not going to be contained by next week.

I think I would change plans and go someplace else for vacation. Perhaps north. At the very least, I'd contact any hotels where I had reservations for suggestions. For the rest of the trip, I think going INTO Los Angeles County at this time would be crazy.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No traffic restriction aside from back roads of ventura/sb county. 101 never closed down i think.
I spent this weekend in LA (pasadena, valley, west la) - no signs of smoke or any disruption.
There is absolutely no reason to avoid la.

SB is still pretty far from fire and winds died down so it is primarily burning on the back of the hill. You may want to check with hotel what the situatiuon is but suspect it is ok over there as well although it is probably more susceptivle to smoke depending on tbe winds...
OliverB likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Yikes!

Okay thank you both; I'll call the inn that we're staying at first thing tomorrow morning to ask the situation. We're still 12 days out so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've read that winds are supposed to be dying down in the next few days. We're supposed to be staying at The Simpson House for 2 nights and I prepaid almost a year ago. We've really been looking forward to this trip and it's my only respite from spending the rest of the holidays with my in-laws in the suburbs. Obviously the fire is a bigger deal right now though.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:57 pm

Along the same lines as OP, we're planning on visiting Santa Barbara between Christmas and New Years, but are wondering if we should change our plans and go to Newport Beach instead. Are the fires impacting tourism and the air quality along the coast, or is it more of an issue towards the mountains?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Are the fires impacting tourism and the air quality along the coast, or is it more of an issue towards the mountains?
Thomas Fire | Santa Barbara County air quality worst on record | The Tribune
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I visited the area Dec 5-6, right after the fire began. Santa Barbara just had a lot of haze. Carpenteria was very smokey and people were wearing masks. Returning to my parked car after about 30 minutes, ashes had settled. Driving back to LAX, the fires were burning right along 101 just north of Ventura, but the highway didn't seem to be in any danger. That's as close as I ever want to be to a wildfire again!
OliverB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Mandatory evacuations of Montecito and Summerland, and portions of Santa Barbara were ordered this morning.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Well I called our inn last week and was told to call back again on the 20th for an update as conditions (wind and weather) change so rapidly that there's just no way of predicting what the situation will be like. The good news is that they're being very lenient and flexible with their cancellation policy given the circumstances. While I don't expect there will be significant containment within the next week, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the air quality in downtown SB improves with shifting winds. It's highly doubtful since the fires are burning in the hills (purportedly blazing towards the Santa Ynez Mountains) and SB is a coastal valley surrounded by mountain range, so all the ash and smoke likely concentrates right in the heart of town; unlike LA which is relatively flat and much more expansive. I have a feeling we're likely going to have cancel our side trip and shoot straight down the I-5 into LA instead. I don't see how anything is going to change in the next 5-6 days.

Last edited by OliverB; Dec 16, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Shoot, our inn falls within the "voluntary evacuation" zone, which means be prepared to leave at moment's notice...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...8198699954&z=9

Thomas Fire Information

I called again today for an update and was told air quality has improved due to winds (no longer extremely poor) but then I'm reading this bulletin which says otherwise... http://countyofsb.org/asset.c/3502

Sounds like we'd be pretty dumb to willingly drive through this; I think I'll probably cancel and reschedule for Valentine's Day weekend.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by OliverB
Sounds like we'd be pretty dumb to willingly drive through this; I think I'll probably cancel and reschedule for Valentine's Day weekend.
That seems like a wise choice.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
A few days later and it looks like things are better in Santa Barbara with all evacuations - mandatory and voluntary - lifted and no more road closures.

That being said, any FTs folks along the 101 have any reports of doing the drive (recently) from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo? How smoky still? Any issues?

David
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
A few days later and it looks like things are better in Santa Barbara with all evacuations - mandatory and voluntary - lifted and no more road closures.

That being said, any FTs folks along the 101 have any reports of doing the drive (recently) from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo? How smoky still? Any issues?

David
Are you sure that things are better? We've already canceled our trip but I received a voicemail the other day from the San Ysidro Ranch, where we were supposed to have dinner one night, informing me that they're being forced to close until at least Jan 1st and to evacuate the area as a result of the Thomas fire.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:30 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thomas Fire: All significant evacuation orders lifted

All remaining significant evacuation orders for areas around the smoldering remnants of Southern California's huge wildfire were canceled Thursday after a new round of winds caused little fire activity.

Warnings of high fire risk were canceled for Santa Barbara County, although they remained in effect elsewhere in Southern California due to Santa Ana winds, low humidity levels and very dry vegetation.

The only visible flame was on the northern side of the fire where controlled burns set by firefighters to clear combustible material were being conducted in wilderness, said fire information officer Brandon Vaccaro.

<snip>
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:20 am
Community Director Emerita

We've just canceled our booking for Santa Barbara next week. The booking required a 3 day advance cancellation. I got a lot of advice from friends who live various points from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo. I am concerned about air quality and the impact on those of us who are asthmatic. Everyone has to make their own decision, but for me, this is the right one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.