Wiki Posts
Search

Minimoon to LA/Santa Barbara

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Minimoon to LA/Santa Barbara

Hi everyone - my fiancee and I are planning on taking a few days directly after our wedding to explore Southern California and was hoping for some input on how much time to spend in LA and Santa Barbara. We've only been to LA once before (for a couple of days - didn't do much), and never to SB.

We have no specific things to do on our list - a few nice restaurants, hopefully some pool/beach time, etc. We are visiting in mid-April so hopefully weather is warm enough.

We fly in Sunday night and are booked for 3 nights at the new W-A Beverly Hills followed by 2 nights at the Belmond El Encanto. Trying to decide if it's worth adding an additional night in either city, or if 3/2 is a good amount of time. We're happy to fly back Friday night (for 5 nights total) or extend to 6 nights by leaving on Saturday evening instead.

We already have flights into LAX but return flights are not yet booked yet.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:20 pm

A long time ago, I graduated from High School in Carpinteria, which is southernmost Santa Barbara County. Among the attractions in SB are the wharf (which includes an Aquarium -- also on a very nice beach) and the Mission, which was the chief mission in California when Cal was part of Mexico. There is additionally, the Santa Barbara botanical gardens. The main downtown street, State St., is half touristy and would be fun for some people.

Also, if the surf is up from the right direction, Rincon (the border of Santa Barbara County and Ventura County on HWY 101) is a world famous surf spot. Because of the angle of the peninsula, when breaking correctly, surfers can get a quarter of mile ride at Rincon. Montecito, between Santa Barbara and Carpinteria is a famous destination for the wealthy and stars. For instance, Oprah has a home there. There isn't that much for most people to do there, but if you want to say that you visited a place where many famous people live, this is one place to go. See http://www.montecito-estate.com/cris...santa-barbara/

If you are looking to save money, the motels in Carpinteria are cheaper than Santa Barbara and Carpinteria has a nice beach that is roughly 1 mile long.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by callmedtop
We have no specific things to do on our list - a few nice restaurants, hopefully some pool/beach time, etc. We are visiting in mid-April so hopefully weather is warm enough.
The ocean is still quite cold in April; water temps will be in the high fifties to low sixties.

There are some excellent wineries in the Santa Barbara area.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
The ocean is still quite cold in April; water temps will be in the high fifties to low sixties.

There are some excellent wineries in the Santa Barbara area.
I'm not much of an ocean guy - more a sitting around guy - so hopefully the air temperatures are warm enough for that!

Thanks for the suggestions - we had planned on doing some winery hopping while in SB.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I'm not much of an ocean guy - more a sitting around guy - so hopefully the air temperatures are warm enough for that!

Thanks for the suggestions - we had planned on doing some winery hopping while in SB.
There are tasting rooms in SB for wine tasting. Lots of them in the funk zone area. I suggest you eat at the Lark one day your in SB. Renaurds has good pastries, breakfast and lunch. We usually take the train up to SB as a day trip but if you have a car, check out Los Olivos. It is not in the city but in the county and they have many wine tasting rooms. The area is famous for Syrah.

Santa Barbara Albums:
callmedtop likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.