Wiki Posts
Search

Yosemite: 4-day trip questions [early March 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Wouldn't the YARTS bus from Merced travel straight up Highway 140?
Yes. I think abmj-jr was suggesting that this 120 closure might cause congestion on 140, which would impact the YARTS bus.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold

Originally Posted by dhuey
I assume that's the cafeteria in Yosemite Lodge (all these name changes are so silly). Yes, it's pretty good and reasonably priced. Lots of choices in there. There is also a restaurant in that complex that is a little pricier.
Yeah, thanks to the greedy corporation for the name changes. What a PITA. Good to hear the cafeteria is reasonably priced. ^

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Please note that Highway 120 into the Park is now also closed for storm repairs. The only entrance still open into Yosemite is Highway 140.

This might impact your YARTS bus.
We plan to be on the bus leaving Merced at 7:10 am on Friday, so the traffic won't be too bad, but on the return, I expect to crawl out of there at 6 pm on Sunday. I'm going to book our return half of YARTS in conjunction with our Amtrak tickets to Oakland. Hopefully that will "protect" us if for some reason we don't make the ~50 min connection. No biggie either way. If we get stuck in Merced overnight, we get stuck. It's an easy place to find a bed to sleep.

We're really lucking out with the weather. It's going to be mostly sunny. ^
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Here's another question: what's there to do in Uber distance within Merced?

I am considering flying Boutique Air OAK MCE. That would get us into Merced around noon vs 7 pm on Amtrak. I was gung ho about it yesterday, but am having second thoughts, half because my 73 year old dad needs constant herding, and getting to and through OAK would be additionally complicated/stressful for me, and the other half is being bored with nothing to do. If we go by plane, we stay in Oakland the night before, and if we go by train, we leave home at 1 pm and I have my dad in a confined space. But I've been wanting to fly B4 OAK MCE for ~2 years.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by boxo
Here's another question: what's there to do in Uber distance within Merced?

I am considering flying Boutique Air OAK MCE. That would get us into Merced around noon vs 7 pm on Amtrak. I was gung ho about it yesterday, but am having second thoughts, half because my 73 year old dad needs constant herding, and getting to and through OAK would be additionally complicated/stressful for me, and the other half is being bored with nothing to do. If we go by plane, we stay in Oakland the night before, and if we go by train, we leave home at 1 pm and I have my dad in a confined space. But I've been wanting to fly B4 OAK MCE for ~2 years.
If you Google "what to do in Merced" one of things that comes up is the U.S. Post Office - the comment on it is "Very kind Postal Clerks".

I'd stick with Amtrak. It has wifi, scenery and it those aren't enough, you can always pack a book.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The Castle Air Museum in Atwater is somewhat interesting, but that would be a bit of an expensive Uber ride, probably. It's an outdoor museum, so factor that into your thinking.

Not a lot else in Merced.

A restaurant I like is "A Taste of Little India" for a pleasant lunch buffet with nice music, in addition to Paul's Place that I mentioned to you.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by boxo
How bad is cell phone service in the Valley? Specifically, Verizon and TMobile. I may/may not need to coordinate with another snow shoe hiker. Just thinking ahead in case last minute communication is necessary.
Cell coverage at Yosemite NP (& selected other Sierra locations)

http://blog.cairnme.com/post/1410958...ge-yosemite-np
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...s-10975286.php

CA 140 is currently the only way in/out.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...s-10975286.php

CA 140 is currently the only way in/out.
I'd be concerned about getting stuck in Yosemite with only one route in or out, and rain in the weekend forecast. A very nice place to be stuck, but still.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I'd be concerned about getting stuck in Yosemite with only one route in or out, and rain in the weekend forecast. A very nice place to be stuck, but still.
But not a very safe place to be in flood conditions. I used to spend a week in the spring at the housekeeping units, generally in one on or very near the river. I've seen it rise 3 feet in 2 hours, forcing a whole lot of people to relocate very, very quickly.

If there is rain and temperatures warm enough to melt the snow, ask the park rangers /security staff what to do and where to be, then follow their instructions. The Merced in full spate is icy cold and very fast; you do not want to mess with it.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Mar 6, 2017 at 12:24 am
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
But not a very safe place to be in flood conditions. I used to spend a week in the spring at the housekeeping units, generally in one on or very near the river. I've seen it rise 3 feet in 2 hours, forcing a whole of people to relocate very, very quickly.

If there is rain and temperatures warm enough to melt the snow, ask the park rangers /security staff what to do and where to be, then follow their instructions. The Merced in full spate is icy cold and very fast; you do not want to mess with it.
Good point. I think this weekend's storm is a cold one, so probably not much snow melting. We might get some snow at the mountain peaks around the bay.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:23 am

Hoping the OP had a safe trip.

Woman killed in Half Dome Village by Falling Tree.

Even with all its amenities, Yosemite Valley is nature in a raw form.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Yeah, wow. While on Amtrak San Joaquin to Sacramento tonight, a family member sent a link to that story. Horrible. Shocking.

I checked out of Curry/Half Dome Village at 11 am and thought we'd be able to leave our bags there because I booked the last YARTS bus of the day ~6 pm, but front desk said that side of the park was being evacuated due to expected high wind. We spent our time 12-6 at Yosemite Valley Lodge, the Awahnee, and all of the museums at the Visitors Center, and never experienced wind on the northwest side.

Friday and Saturday were blue sky days with people wearing shorts and t-shirts and then we woke Sunday morning to several inches of snow and it didn't let up. Chain controls were for 20 miles.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Yosemite Falls from Cook's Meadow on Saturday. (Sorry the photo is so large.)
Attached Images  
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Yosemite Falls from the Mountain Room Restaurant at Yosemite Valley Lodge Sunday.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Even with all its amenities, Yosemite Valley is nature in a raw form.
Unfortunately, falling trees and branches are deadly hazards pretty much everywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.