Joshua Tree NP - worth a visit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Joshua Tree NP - worth a visit?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If he is talking about the tree on the U2 album cover, I believe it is at Zabriskie Point. Or was. I don't know if it is still there.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
If he is talking about the tree on the U2 album cover, I believe it is at Zabriskie Point. Or was. I don't know if it is still there.
Been to Zabriskie point a bunch, including hiking up and back down down from Golden Canyon. Heck, my kids when young even scared the hell out of me by trying to climb Manly Beacon! I don't remember ever seeing Joshua trees there. However, I'm not that observant!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Apparently, there are some parts of Death Valley NP that have Joshua trees -- e.g., Lee Flat. It's pretty far from Lee Flat in Death Valley NP to Joshua Tree NP, however! (250 to 300+ miles.)
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Apparently, there are some parts of Death Valley NP that have Joshua trees -- e.g., Lee Flat. It's pretty far from Lee Flat in Death Valley NP to Joshua Tree NP, however! (250 to 300+ miles.)
Interesting! That's inside the park but not in Death Valley, it's in the Saline Valley. Haven't been in that area in a long time, it is definitely best to use 4WD. The last time I was nearby,instead of turning off, I continued straight to take the Hunter Mountain road. North of Lee Flat are the Saline Valley hot springs and maybe the "nudist camping" area is still there.

Whoops, just noticed that Lee Flat isn't even in Saline Valley but the next valley west. That's really obscure and just barely in the park.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jun 27, 2019 at 12:01 pm
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
... I'm not that observant!
Understandable if you were chasing the kids off of Manly Beacon. Attention might have been elsewhere.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Understandable if you were chasing the kids off of Manly Beacon. Attention might have been elsewhere.
Many years later, one of my kids finally admitted that he was scared crazy when he was up there. The route to the peak is very, very narrow.
abmj-jr and SEA777GUY like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.