Reload this Page >

Paso Robles suggestions?

Paso Robles suggestions?

Old Jun 27, 14, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Paso Robles suggestions?

FT,

My wife and I and our 1 year old son will be spending the 4th of July weekend in Paso Robles along with in-laws who will have a 3 and 5 year old in tow. We all enjoy wine and food, as well as outdoor activities.

If anyone has recommendations for particular wineries, restaurants, or other must-see destinations, we'd love to hear them. We're (mostly) lifetime Northern Californians with some familiarity with the surrounding areas (Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo) but this is uncharted territory for us.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 27, 14, 8:02 am

I know nothing about food or wine. The things I love in the area are the Thursday night market in San Luis Obispo (in fact the whole downtown of SLO is interesting and worth a walk). Pismo Beach is likely to be a madhouse. The Warbird museum has a lot more than planes.

Oh, and I don't know anything about kids either, though I've enountered a lot of people in the area with kids that seem to have enjoyed the Children's Museum at the Paso Robles Firehouse - an "active" museum for kids.
Old Jun 27, 14, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Definitely head into SLO. Wineries down there are very family/children friendly for the most part. It's not as slammed at Napa. My wife and I wine taste quite a bit with our now 2.5 year old but probably go to a winery 1-2 times a month since he was a few months old. My wife and I also went to Cal Poly SLO for school.

Best bet is to not try to taste with the kids. Just buy a bottle of wine to drink outside, bring some snacks, and go sit outside. Or what we've done is to have 1-2 people do a quick/shortened tasting to decide on what wine to get. I'd look for wineries that have good out door space. Bring a blanket to put down on the grass and a few toys (avoid brining balls, they end up being trouble).

Edna Valley in SLO is one of my favorites, and there are a few other wineries right there like Baileyana and Tolosa. Tolosa has a large outdoor grassy area you can hang out at (but smaller/modern tasting room), and they also sell food. One of my favorite wines in SLO area is Laetitia but I've never actually visited. Had friends that visited and have drank lots of their wine though.

I wouldn't plan on going to more than 2 with the kids, and you could also make a trip down to Pismo Beach for some ice cream or clam chowder at Splash Cafe (best in the world).

I've only tasted in Paso Once or twice, and don't remember much about the wineries. There are some good ones though. Paso is typically 15+ degrees hotter than it is in SLO, so you may be hitting close to 100 over the weekend, while it's mid 80's in SLO and mid 70's out in Pismo. Huge temperature change once you go over the hill and then down to the ocean.
Old Jun 27, 14, 1:02 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
There are actually several very nice wineries in the Paso Robles area if that is what you are looking for. You might check at your hotel and find something that will not require driving over to SLO.

On the other hand, SLO can be a nice place to visit as well. You said "the 4th of July weekend," but if you will arrive on the 3rd, a visit to the SLO street faire/farmer's market that evening might be nice. Thursdays only.
Old Jun 28, 14, 5:31 am

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
We often drive from Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara and stop at the Starbuck's just off 101 at the north end of town.

Sorry, but it's really the only thing I know about Paso Robles except that it is also where one exits from 101 to head over to San Simeon.
Old Oct 16, 14, 6:43 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
A little late on the reply...

Sorry for the late reply, but I'll let you Paso is awesome wine country.

So many great boutique Rhone-varietal vineyards. Try searching down Peachy Canyon Road, there's wineries, olive oil tastings and cheese to be found. Town itself has a number of wonderful restaurants.

I miss California; I long for Paso.

How did your trip go?
Old Oct 29, 14, 9:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
Lots to recommend Paso for...

http://www.travelpaso.com

For more info on the visiting and enjoying a visit to Paso Robles, California.
Old Nov 1, 14, 10:51 am
Suspended

Paso has a rather split personality in terms of wineries, that can be divided into several classes: On one hand, there are numerous extremely fine boutique wineries, some of whom offer tastings, but others guard their precious product like it's liquid gold, and either charge $20 for a few sips of their elixir, or won't pour it at all - represented by Linne Calado, Denner, Booker, Terry Hoage, among others, not to mention wannabees aspiring to this group like Daou, but lacking the pedegree in the bottle. There are also several fine wineries who recognize that wine tastings are a marketing opportunity, and have generous tasting policies - these would include places like Peachy Canyon, Kenneth Volk, Tablas Creek, and Turley. Then there are big commercial establishments mostly along route 46 like Eberle and Meridian. And finally, there are outright tourist traps like Niner. Depending upon your level of wine interest, there's a little something for everyone in Paso Robles.
Old Nov 1, 14, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
One thing I enjoyed whilst in Paso this spring was an olive oil tasting at Kiler Ridge, just outside of town (although our map directions took us down some dirt tracks!) I learned a lot about what makes a good olive oil, and how to tell good from bad. Gregg was an excellent host that day, and the views from the building are to die for

http://www.kilerridge.com/Kiler_Ridge/Home.html