Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego attractions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:32 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Hi FT,

I would like to get to the Theodore Geisel Library at UCSD, but by public transit. There's a good chance I'd be coming from Tijuana, less so from Little Italy.

What would y'all recommend? Amtrak instead?

Thanks,
BmB
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hi FT,

I would like to get to the Theodore Geisel Library at UCSD, but by public transit. There's a good chance I'd be coming from Tijuana, less so from Little Italy.

What would y'all recommend? Amtrak instead?

Thanks,
BmB
Google Maps show it a 5.5 hour adventure on public transportation.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:25 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 747FC
Google Maps show it a 5.5 hour adventure on public transportation.
Excellent! ...Amtrak it is.

Thanks, 747FC (my inner urban planner will have to just hang loose this time). Have you been up that way, by the by?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Have you been up that way, by the by?
I love LaJolla, where your destination is located. First time I went there, I was wined and dined for a corporate gig at George's by the Sea. We went to the fine dining venue, but the casual patio area on the top floor is now one of my favorites. Good (not great) food, and wonderful views and atmosphere.

Of course, if you are a golfer, you will be right next to Torrey Pines. Can't miss that one!

When I take Amatrak,, usually from the north, I buy a business ticket, which is only a bit more pricey, but comes with extra personal space and a snack pac/wine included.

Have fun!

Last edited by 747FC; Jun 26, 2015 at 11:34 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Of course, if you are a golfer, you will be right next to Torrey Pines. Can't miss that one!

I'd take Maderas over Torrey every time. Maderas is top 100 public courses in the country, half the price of TP and won't take 6 hours to play.

I tell all golf friends visiting SD and looking to play here: Look at Torrey, play at Medaras!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
I'd take Maderas over Torrey every time. Maderas is top 100 public courses in the country, half the price of TP and won't take 6 hours to play.

I tell all golf friends visiting SD and looking to play here: Look at Torrey, play at Medaras!
Thanks for the tip. No one had ever told me about Maderas. They must be keeping it to themselves!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the tip. No one had ever told me about Maderas. They must be keeping it to themselves!
I never need an excuse to play Maderas! You need a fourth you let me know
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
I never need an excuse to play Maderas! You need a fourth you let me know
Thanks. Perhaps next time in SD. ^
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: status free since 2017
How much time should be appropriated for Balboa Park and USS Midway Museum? It's quite subjective but rough ballpark would be helpful!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
How much time should be appropriated for Balboa Park and USS Midway Museum? It's quite subjective but rough ballpark would be helpful!
Oh boy... it really depends on what you want to see in Balboa. I would say a whole day at the minimum.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Oh boy... it really depends on what you want to see in Balboa. I would say a whole day at the minimum.
Mostly culture and architecture. I am not a horticulturist but the gardens look very beautiful in pictures.

It looks pretty big on the map. Is it quite time consuming to go around between museums/gardens? Multiday pass is only $10 more. Is it worth spending extra money?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:01 am

You need a full day for Balboa Park and at least a day and a half if you plan on visiting the zoo (which you should!) if you don't want to feel rushed. I'm not that fond of SD personally, but Balboa Park and the zoo are destination highlights that should be afforded more time than anything else, including Coronado, La Jolla, etc. There's not much to see/do in the Gaslamp, imo. Make sure you eat at least one proper SD style burrito (the only kind that count!) - the carne asada mix at El Cuervo gets my vote.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Mostly culture and architecture. I am not a horticulturist but the gardens look very beautiful in pictures.

It looks pretty big on the map. Is it quite time consuming to go around between museums/gardens? Multiday pass is only $10 more. Is it worth spending extra money?
It's only worth it if you plan to visit multiple museums or spend significant time in the gardens. You can easily walk through the entire park in a single day, admiring the magnificet Spanish Colonial and Mission Revival architecture and lush gardens; the most impressive being the domed botanical structure from the historic 1915 Panama-California Expo. If you plan to spend several hours exploring the museums (or zoo - which requires min. 1/2 day imo) then it's worth buying a multi-day pass. Otherwise, you can easily explore the entire park in a single day at leisure if you pack a picnic lunch and lace up comfortable walking shoes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.