Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:20 am
Original Poster

restaurants in Mission Bay, San Diego

Will be there for a few nights in late August and rather than
travel into SD would like to eat locally.

Seeking top quality at reasonable prices.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Since you are seeking recommendations, I'm going to move this over to the California destination forum.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Firehouse American Eatery & Lounge in Pacific Beach 722 S. Grand just North of Mission Beach area.
www.firehousepb.com

Hodad's (a very famous local institution) just South of Mission Beach in Ocean Beach.
www.hodadies.com
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Not far from there (in Point Loma) is Phil's BBQ.

There is also Sushi Ota in the PB area.

Neither is what many would consider "fine" dining, but they both have very good food (IMPO) and prices are reasonable.

Both places are quite packed all the time, though so call ahead etc..
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I took mrs. iapetus to Thee Bungalow for our anniversary last month. It's a French bistro that generally gets very good reviews (don't hold the silly name against it ). It may not be for everyone, but we enjoyed it very much.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Phil's Barbecue ....... WOOWHO!!!!!
Old May 10, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Opinions on these 6 San Diego restaurants?

Hi- just finalizing our arrangements before our 5 day mini-vac in SD next week.
Looking at these restaurants- anyone care to give any of them a "skip it" or "do not miss"?

Thanks

1) Firenze Trattoria
2) Island Prime
3) George's La Jolla
4) Indigo grill
5) Trulucks
6) Donovans

Thanks for any help!
Old May 10, 2011, 1:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

We take out of town guests to Island Prime. It has a wonderful view of the San Diego skyline as well as a decent menu. There is a more casual sister restaurant in the same structure with outdoor seating that is good for lunch.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Wow, that's a pretty random list.

I don't know where you are staying or if that is a factor so I will leave that part out of my critique.

Of all on the list, by far the only "Don't miss" would be George's Modern for dinner or George's rooftop for lunch. The rooftop views are wonderful.

Firenze has it's fans. I am not one of them as I feel there are better Italian places but they are all downtown. Firenze is in Encinitas on the way to Rancho Santa Fe and if you are not already in North County, I sure wouldn't drive there from even La Jolla just for a meal.

Island Prime is part of the Cohen Restaurant Group and their restaurants are consistent but not exceptional. Usually the venue is part of the appeal (as in the views from IP).

Indigo Grill has unusual Mex/American/Native American Fare and Deborah Scott has a great following. Another Cohen Restaurant.

Trulucks is OK but there are so many better places. Japango in the same complex is so much better and more interesting.

Donovan's also has a following but it is a Steakhouse. There are so many better and more unique places in San Diego. Can't you get a good steak in every city?

Have you considered Bice for Italian, Market for California Cuisine, on a Monday night Mille Fleurs has no corkage and their bistro menu is the best food value anywhere. They always have a prix fix menu @ $40 and you can have a conversation and hear what your table mates are saying. Mille Fleurs and Bertrands they are two of San Diego's best.

Other "special" favorites would be the Marine Room, Quero in Encinitas and worth the drive, The Top of the Market downtown for fish, Seersucker (if you can get a table).

You didn't give a budget but Addison is probably the best restaurant we have and has prices to match.

A really good online resource is San Diego Magazine.

I also really like the Prado (another Cohen restaurant) and also Bo Beau (also a Cohen restaurant).

I would eat at any on my list and only two on yours!
Old May 11, 2011, 8:24 am

+1 for Qero in Encinitas. My absolute favorite. If you like steak try bistek a la trujillana.
Old May 11, 2011, 3:32 pm

FrAAmer, that's a great list. I just printed it out for some fresh ideas.

We ate at Flavor at the Del Mar Plaza this past weekend. The ambience is amazing with the wonderful ocean view. I just read the very mixed Yelp reviews. All I can say is go for lunch so that you get the view with the food. Our dishes were a bit pricey but interesting and superbly prepared. My lobster roll was excellent.

We also had an amazing meal at Nobu in the Gaslamp Quarter. You pay dearly for the chef's special, but it's worth it for a splurge meal.

We had an FT dinner years ago at Prado. It's a lovely location inside Balboa Park, within the complex of buildings built for the Pan American Exposition to celebrate the opening of the Panama Canal.

The Marine Room is on the water in a quiet area of La Jolla. It has a spectacular view of the beach and ocean.

Oddly enough, Quero doesn't click for me, despite it being the fave for several of my friends. Perhaps Peruvian isn't my thing.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm
Old May 11, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Thankyou all for your great suggestions.
Look forward to visiting your fine city next week!

Old May 11, 2011, 9:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We ate at Flavor at the Del Mar Plaza this past weekend. The ambience is amazing with the wonderful ocean view. Our dishes were a bit pricey but interesting and superbly prepared. My lobster roll was excellent.
Chef has a great pedigree, great venue but the food (especially for dinner) is stupidly expensive .

1K - Have you dined at Mille Fleurs recently? It used to be the place all the "rich people went to" and I could never afford it. Now the menu is more reasonable than Flavor, Market, Georges, and even Addison - with old school service that is hard to find. If you go on a Monday with no corkage, it has to be the best value and most under-appreciated food experience in town. If you go on any other day - it is still a great deal food wise and they have a great wine list too.
Old May 11, 2011, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by FrAAmer
Have you dined at Mille Fleurs recently?
We haven't been there for years. Our last name is the same as one of those San Diegan mega wealthy folks. They gave us his "fave" table, thinking we were his kids - and then panicked on realizing we weren't. I printed out your post; that is one of the restaurants I've marked. I plan to get there soon.

Also, I booked George's Rooftop for an upcoming lunch we need to host. So thank you for your suggestions. We have our little circuit of restaurants, and it's good to try some different ones.
Old May 13, 2011, 6:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

OK- so maybe I was wrong.......

Got to give these restaurants their "propers" - though I am sure that some of the "winners" had a good PR engine -

Truluck's won for this year's San Diego Magazine's Best of the Best in their annual Best Restaurant Awards Reader's Poll......They also won: Best Wine List (a total crock since Jesse Rodriguez won as best Sommelier (from Addison), Best Happy Hour, Best Service (HA!) and best Seafood and runner up for Most Romantic and Best Desserts. As my grandfather always said, that's what makes horseraces.......

Moving on-

Best New restaurant - Searsucker with Brian Malarkey (of Top Chef Fame) as Best Chef. (On my list )

Best View - Bertrand at Mr. A's with Island Prime as runner up (Good call 1-K)

Most Romantic -The Marine Room (on my list )

Best Outdoor Dining - Georges at the Cove (on my list )

Best Italian - Cucina Urbana

Best Steakhouse - Donovan's (yes they deserve it but they are a Steakhouse and I stand by my "you can get a good steak almost anywhere but we have so many more interesting places" statement)

From the Critics-

Best of the Best - Blanca (It wasn't on my list because of the revolving door of chefs and I have not tried it since the new chef arrived. It used to be stupid expensive but now has a more reasonable menu and they run coupons all the time. Got to put it on my radar.)

Best Chef - Jeff Jackson at AR Valentien (embarassed that I left that restaurant off my list.) Truly worthy and a great Farm to Table restaurant.

Best Wine List -Addison (on my list )

Best American - Market (on my list )

Lots more in this month's issue of San Diego Magazine. I'm getting hungry......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.