Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SD/LA hotel choices

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Poster

SD/LA hotel choices

Going to be in SD and LA for a couple days each this summer and can stay in a SPG property in 1 and a Hyatt property in the other. What would you choose:
US Grant and Andaz West Hollywood
or
PH Aviara and W Hollywood
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
I do not care for boutique hotels, so I would not stay at the Andaz. A better question is this: will the style and amenities of the hotels meet the requirements of your stay(s)? Are your stay(s) for business or pleasure (or a little of both)?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
The Park Hyatt Aviara is a really nice place but it is pretty far and inconvenient from downtown San Diego and many of the standard SAN attractions - Balboa Park, Zoo, Gaslamp, Coronado, Marine World, harbor area. I do like northern San Diego county myself but you are really making a significant choice if you stay in Carlsbad, as driving into downtown San Diego and back every day is a bit of a pain.

As the above post says, the decision is more what you want to do in San Diego than which hotel.
Old May 2, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
In SD I can highly recommend the Indigo hotel (but it's part of IHG, not SPG). It's right next to the Gaslamp district & within walking distance of Seaport Village, and reasonable $.
Old May 2, 2014, 8:49 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by JerryFF
The Park Hyatt Aviara is a really nice place but it is pretty far and inconvenient from downtown San Diego and many of the standard SAN attractions - Balboa Park, Zoo, Gaslamp, Coronado, Marine World, harbor area. I do like northern San Diego county myself but you are really making a significant choice if you stay in Carlsbad, as driving into downtown San Diego and back every day is a bit of a pain.

As the above post says, the decision is more what you want to do in San Diego than which hotel.
This advice is spot on. Should you planning to be out and about seeing San Diego's sights, I suggest the US Grant. Should you be visiting Legoland, choose Park Hyatt Aviara. Should you want a lovely resort hotel, then the Park Hyatt Aviara is a solid choice.

I like the Andaz Hollywood, and have not stayed at the W Hollywood.
Old May 3, 2014, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you pick the PH Aviara, bear in mind that posted rates per night are $60 less than you will actually pay, due to a $30 resort fee (probably waived on a points stay) and a mandatory, inconvenient $30 valet parking fee (probably not waived on a points stay).

Valet parking is also usually mandatory at the Andaz WeHo and also at the HR Century City which is not far away.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Agree. Aviara used to be a Four Seasons property so it's gorgeous, but there isn't a whole lot to do in Carlsbad. US Grant, while historic, has kind of run down older rooms. Can't beat the downtown location though! It really depends on what type of a trip you're after.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
I forgot to mention that there are two Westins and a W downtown also. I'm not into boutique hotels if the quality of the rooms suffer for the "charm", and unfortunately I think that's the case with the Grant. I'd go with the W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.