Community
Wiki Posts
Search

July LA travel advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

July LA travel advice

Hi, my wife and toddler son (just under 2 years old) will be visiting California (flying in and out of LA from Singapore) for 2 weeks in early July, both to visit friends and for a holiday. Any advice on what to do? We'd like to rent a car and drive around, but we figure that driving inland may be too hot! I understand temperatures in Palm Springs and Joshua Tree will be over 40 degrees celsius!

Last time we were in LA, we did the drive down to San Diego and back which was pretty good, but not too keen on doing the exact same thing again.

Any recommended destinations/itineraries will be very much appreciated, thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Road trip! LA to Santa Barbara, spend a few days in paradise there. Drive on up to the San Luis Obispo area, great town for wine/food, great beaches at Avila Beach or Pismo Beach. Drive up Pacific Coast Highway and Big Sur coast to Monterey, spend a couple of days in Monterey and Carmel. Either drive back down Highway 101 to LA or continue up to SF. You could fly or drive back to LA from there.

Cheers,

Doc
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Road trip! LA to Santa Barbara, spend a few days in paradise there. Drive on up to the San Luis Obispo area, great town for wine/food, great beaches at Avila Beach or Pismo Beach. Drive up Pacific Coast Highway and Big Sur coast to Monterey, spend a couple of days in Monterey and Carmel. Either drive back down Highway 101 to LA or continue up to SF. You could fly or drive back to LA from there.

Cheers,

Doc
+1. Santa Barbara has a great little zoo. Big enough to have lots of interesting animals and small enough to navigate in a reasonable amount of time. Also, a small aquarium on the wharf. Both excellent for little kids.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:16 pm
Suspended

In Avila Beach, there is a cute little petting zoo/produce farm that would be great for a 2 year old.
https://avilavalleybarn.com/

Avila Beach has a great playground area, and nice beach.
http://www.avilabeachpier.com/inform...rate-park.html
For the adults, there is a pier, and a number of little restaurants to grab lunch at.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Disneyland? I know some will say the little one is TOO little, but I disagree. Especially when traveling from so far away...
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Cheers,

Doc
thats awesome advice, thanks! will probably follow your itinerary. one quick question; any advice on where to stop on the 101 on the way back to LA? to break up the long drive for the baby's sake!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by straits38
thats awesome advice, thanks! will probably follow your itinerary. one quick question; any advice on where to stop on the 101 on the way back to LA? to break up the long drive for the baby's sake!
and also, anywhere thats "seedier" or less safe that we should avoid? or most towns are generally alright? we're fairly well travelled so we do generally keep alert.. but some places, you just don't want to be in, know what i mean? thanks again
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF
+1. Santa Barbara has a great little zoo. Big enough to have lots of interesting animals and small enough to navigate in a reasonable amount of time. Also, a small aquarium on the wharf. Both excellent for little kids.
sounds great, thank you appreciate the reply!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Disneyland? I know some will say the little one is TOO little, but I disagree. Especially when traveling from so far away...
yup we've done disneyland before, planning to this time round for the 4th of july fireworks, heard its pretty good!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:28 am
Suspended

Everything along your route is safe and pleasant.

You could stop in Paso Robles, a nice winery town, or again in SLO on your way back to LA from Monterey. Also consider Solvang, a cute little Danish town north of Santa Barbara.

Be aware that July 4th long weekend is one of the biggest traveling holidays in the US, and hotel prices along this route will reflect this. Weekends in general will be more expensive and potentially nearly sold out of hotel rooms, so plan ahead some.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Where are the friends/family going to be located? I am trying to get a sense of where your "base" will be before passing along recommendations.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by straits38
and also, anywhere thats "seedier" or less safe that we should avoid? or most towns are generally alright? we're fairly well travelled so we do generally keep alert.. but some places, you just don't want to be in, know what i mean? thanks again
Goleta, don't bother.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Goleta, don't bother.
Unless you want to see one of the more beautiful college campuses in the US.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Unless you want to see one of the more beautiful college campuses in the US.
Thats Isla Vista. Quite frankly that's like telling somebody to stop in South Central LA just to see USC .
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
If you're looking to spend a few days away from the LA area, consider a drive to Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park, Yosemite National Park, and/or the Eastern Sierra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.