Wiki Posts
Search

Need help finding last minute Yosemite hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Need help finding last minute Yosemite hotel

I have a problem. Due to last minute schedule changes I'm having a hard time finding a hotel with 5 rooms (at least one with double beds) for July 15-17 (two nights).

I can find a lot next to Mammoth, but having to drive some 2-3 hours (more with traffic and weather) isn't going to work.

I prefer Yosemite Valley, but so far that doesn't look promising (I've checked a lot of properties already); seems like the few that are close only have suites and large rooms available.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a couple good hotels I can call up and see if they have availability? I'm driving in from San Francisco, so if it can't be within the confines of the park, at least be between SF and Yosemite.

Thanks for your help!

As I'm doing a 2-3 week long road trip with 5 rooms at every destination, I would like to avoid having to spend top-dollar at every stop (rather spend it on good food, sights, souvenirs).
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
I have a problem. Due to last minute schedule changes I'm having a hard time finding a hotel with 5 rooms (at least one with double beds) for July 15-17 (two nights).

I can find a lot next to Mammoth, but having to drive some 2-3 hours (more with traffic and weather) isn't going to work.

I prefer Yosemite Valley, but so far that doesn't look promising (I've checked a lot of properties already); seems like the few that are close only have suites and large rooms available.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a couple good hotels I can call up and see if they have availability? I'm driving in from San Francisco, so if it can't be within the confines of the park, at least be between SF and Yosemite.

Thanks for your help!

As I'm doing a 2-3 week long road trip with 5 rooms at every destination, I would like to avoid having to spend top-dollar at every stop (rather spend it on good food, sights, souvenirs).
Unless your group is willing to sleep in tents at the walk in campground, finding 5 rooms in/near Yosemite in peak season is really unlikely. Most of the lodging there books 364 days in advance.

There's a chance you can find a private property rental nearby, try VRBO or Craigslist for that.

If you really want to visit Yosemite overnight, I would suggest calling the company that manages all of the park accommodation and begging for help. They might find you a total of 5 rooms around the valley on the same night, if you can flex your schedule. From using their online booking engine I see Tenaya Lodge has a few rooms, but not 5, for $320+/night, for your dates - that should give you some idea of the scope of your quest.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
You may want to go on Booking.com or a similar site and try looking for motels in El Portal or Mariposa (all on Route 140), maybe Fish Camp (on 41) or Groveland or Buck Meadows (on 120). They all should get you into the heart of the valley a bit more directly than Mammoth (probably about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, barring traffic delays) and are between SF and the park, which Mammoth isn't. I just did a quick Booking.com search for your dates and found some availablity in Mariposa, for instance.

The sad truth is that if you're looking for good hotels, close in, 5 rooms in the same property, and affordable in high season at the last minute, chances are you'll have to compromise on at least one of those points.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is an area of private cabins behind the Wawona hotel. It's inside the park boundaries but still about a 45-60 minute drive from the valley. Do a google search to find available cabins.

There is a place called Yosemite West that is just outside the park boundary but you wouldn't know it -- you turn the opposite way from Glacier Point road at the intersection and just go a few hundred yards. These are about a 20 minute drive from the valley.

Neither of these places are pushed by the Park Service which would rather they all went away, so often they are options when the main park accommodation is unavailable.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
I'm abashed to have forgotten about those closer-in options mentioned by Richard, all the more so because I have friends who stay in the cottages near the Wawona, and I've got the site bookmarked: http://www.redwoodsinyosemite.com/.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:13 pm

If you are the adventurous sort and would consider camping, I was just reminded by a post in another thread that REI rents camping gear. You wouldn't have to totally rough it; there are lts of places in the park to eat ranging from cafeteria style to gourmet dining and the campgrounds have showers and flush toilets.

Here's a link to the NPS Yosemite site with lodging info.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Jun 28, 2013 at 9:43 am
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Although not on the most direct route from SF to Yosemite, the pleasant little community of Oakhurst is not too far off line. It looks like the Comfort Inn in Oakhurst has 5 rooms available at fairly reasonable rates. That is only 20 minutes or so from the south entrance to the park, and a bit over an hour from the Valley via the tunnel and famous Valley View viewpoint.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. I've found two hotels outside of Yosemite about an hour or two drive outside the park with good rates and rooms.

My requirements are not very high, but we cannot do camping. It is simply not possible for many of us (including me), since we're flying in from abroad and cannot bring camping gear.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
Thanks to all for your replies. I've found two hotels outside of Yosemite about an hour or two drive outside the park with good rates and rooms.

My requirements are not very high, but we cannot do camping. It is simply not possible for many of us (including me), since we're flying in from abroad and cannot bring camping gear.
No need to bring the camping gear. REI, a highly reputable outdoor equipment company, can rent you anything you need.

It is very difficult to get a feel for the wonder that Yosemite truly is when all you see is the roadway. Spending more time in the park and less in the car would greatly enhance your trip.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:52 pm

Rooms do open up

Rooms tend to open up about a week ahead of time in Yosemite Valley, which is the final opportunity to cancel without cost for people who have previously reserved space. It's useful to begin checking daily about 2 weeks out.

Getting 5 rooms likely would be a challenge, however.

Cancellations happen because people reserved early (given the popularity and limited number of rooms) but then have a change of plans.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Merced also has cheap lodging although 2 hours away.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I was able to book 5 rooms down in Oakhurst.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Five rooms in the same place in Yosemite during the summer is a quite a challenge. Ideally, it's the sort of thing you plan many months in advance.

Still, your setup in Oakhurst will get the job done. Enjoy Yosemite!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.