Search

California country for a non-driver

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
California country for a non-driver

Calling the expertise of the BA board please for the customary grace period before it is moved somewhere else on FT...

I am currently in LA on a business trip and whilst I am not that impressed by the city the surrounding country looks beautiful.

I would love to go into the country for several days on end here. The only problem is that I do not drive.

Can anybody recommend a hotel in the hills somewhere that has good restaurants and facilities, and from where I can more or less walk out of the hotel's door onto country trails and hike across the hills and through the forests.

Many thanks in advance.

Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
You shouldn't wait for the expertise of the BA board. Get this moved to the CA forum where you have much better odds of finding a local that can help you out.

Good luck! ^
Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
You shouldn't wait for the expertise of the BA board. Get this moved to the CA forum where you have much better odds of finding a local that can help you out.

Good luck! ^
I do not know about that... I have sought and found much better CA advice here than on the local forum.

How far out of LA are you looking to go? North or East i am guessing if your looking to get into the countryside and away from the coast.

Santa Barbara and the Central Coast have great rail links. Even within Los Angeles itself there are nice areas where you would think you were in the middle of the countryside and not dirty old LA.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
If you want to make a bit of an effort try and get to Big Sur. No idea if it easy to get there without a car but it is a great place to be if you don't have one. You have it all: dramatic coastline and great hikes.

Edit: There is bus running from Monterrey to Big sur, operated by Monterey-Salinas Transit (MST), #22 bus.

Here are some more ideas. The one I like is Catalina Island. Very beautiful.

http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cal...os_Angeles.htm

If you like Napa Valley, go to Yountville. Plenty of upmarket accommodation there.

Last edited by henkybaby; Dec 3, 2011 at 2:51 am
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:13 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
Amtrack is your friend.

For example, the 799 Pacific Surfliner leaves Union Station and would have you in San Luis Obispo 5 hours later. The area around Bishop Peak is stunning. Valencia trail is also very scenic.

Coach fare $40 (one way), $18 more for business. Train has wifi.

Lots of lodgings in SLO across a range of budgets.

But if 5 hours is too far, get the Amtrack schedule for the Surfliner and pick somewhere closer. Anywhere along the coast will be better than downtown LA.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Or hop up to San Francisco. A proper city with proper public transport.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Jump on the Amtrak from Union Station in Downtown LA to either Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo. The train is super slow but very scenic at times.

You could always jump on a flight from LAX to Monterey Peninsula or a flight to SFO and get the shuttle bus down to Monterey.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Can anybody recommend a hotel in the hills somewhere that has good restaurants and facilities, and from where I can more or less walk out of the hotel's door onto country trails and hike across the hills and through the forests.
Staying within LA County...

I used to live in Topanga. It is one of the most special places in So Cal. http://www.topangacanyoninn.com/

Also, any of the Santa Monica beach hotels are perfect for people who don't drive. There is lots to do within walking distance. Or you can bike up and down the beach to Venice, Pacific Palisades, etc. Downtown Long Beach is perfect for for non-drivers too.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by stimpy
I used to live in Topanga. It is one of the most special places in So Cal. http://www.topangacanyoninn.com/
^

Nice!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Take the metro link to Union station, then the train to Santa Barbara. And stay at the San Yasidro ranch. Santa barabara is just wonderful and great and you can visit nearby winneries.

San Yasidro is where the kennedies honeymooned.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In order to give the missus a rest from driving I've been looking at the options available to get out and see the countryside from either LAX or SFO. There are plenty of short tours available from either city although they might not be what you had in mind.

We would like to see Yosemite and Sequoia national parks...not sure which city is best to see them from.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:12 am

San Luis Obispo is a great base for walking on the Central Coast. Flights from LAX and SFO and a railroad station. More details on the hiking options here:
http://tinyurl.com/28hbyk3
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
We would like to see Yosemite and Sequoia national parks...not sure which city is best to see them from.
Reno is actually nearest to Yosemite, but if you are driving then SFO rather than LA. I have just (today) driven back from round there to San Francisco. Beware that Yosemite is closed in winter (it gets snow bound being up in the mountains). It was closed when I passed yesterday.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FrancisA
Reno is actually nearest to Yosemite, but if you are driving then SFO rather than LA. I have just (today) driven back from round there to San Francisco. Beware that Yosemite is closed in winter (it gets snow bound being up in the mountains). It was closed when I passed yesterday.
Thanks....I'd prefer SFO to LAX anyway. How long is the drive?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
SF was a place I didn't like sorry! I don't have much experience but loved Monterey, and would recommend Santa Barbara also

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.