Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Questions re planning a family trip with 5 kids to Disneyland and San Diego Sept 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions re planning a family trip with 5 kids to Disneyland and San Diego Sept 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

We are going to Southern California for a family trip starting the third Saturday in September. We are planning on going to Disneyland then spending some time in San Diego. We have 5 kids ages 3 to 12. As we have not been to southern California in 30+ years I have a few questions to help plan things.

1. We will spend around a week and a half there give or take, flying in to LAX then renting a vehicle, we want enough time to go to Disneyland and then the various attractions around San Diego (zoo, Sea World, Legoland etc). From what I have read on the internet, San Diego seems more appealing than the Anaheim area. Would three days in Anaheim and five days in San Diego be about right? Or should we plan on a longer time in either place? We have up to two weeks off work with one day flying time on each end.

2. We have found the following two choices for a hotel with full kitchen facilities that accommodates seven occupants: Residence Inn Marriott Resort Area Garden Grove south of Disneyland, and Residence in Marriott La Jolla near San Diego. Is there a better choice than the above two picks? Most of the options I have found don't accommodate 7 people, and/or don't have a full kitchen.

3. Is there some reason that the last two weeks of September might be a bad time to visit Anaheim or San Diego (for example some event or huge convention that I don't know about).

4. It seems that many of the big attractions are best avoided on weekends due to huge crowds. For our weekends what is a good place to spend time without getting swamped by crowds? We were thinking of a waterpark but would that be too cold by September?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:25 am

You're skipping L.A. and just seeing Anaheim before moving on to San Diego? You've checked air fares into SNA and LGB, which are a bit closer to Anaheim than is LAX? Those other two airports are also much smaller and picking up a rental car involves a short walk rather than a shuttle bus (at least for SNA).

What do you plan on seeing in the Anaheim area besides Disneyland? Even seeing both the Magic Kingdom (orignal Disneyland) and adjoining California Adventure, 3 days COULD be a lot unless one is used up by your arrival. Will you go to Knott's Berry Farm in nearby Buena Park? Other area amusement parks, such as Universal Studios and Magic Mountain are, of course, far from Anaheim. I'm not sure what else you would do in Anaheim. Before you decide on how many parks to visit, do check on admission prices. This could be an incredibly expensive trip.

Besides the famous zoo in San Diego, there is the wild animal park to the north, near Escondido (run by the zoo), where you can see wild animals not in cages (though carnivores and their prey are kept separate so you don't see "too" authentic an African experience). Seeing the zoo can involve a lot of walking. Your kids are up to that? There are tours but, of course, these add to your total price. Balboa Park, where the zoo is located, has a number of good museums, including a science museum aimed mainly at kids (there's an IMAX theatre there, as well). Again, check total admission prices, including for the zoo. And note that hotels in some areas, such as around the Gaslamp Quarter charge for parking.

Last edited by SoCal; Apr 28, 2011 at 7:32 am
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AAA
You don't say where you are from but based on your kids' ages and your hotel preference you want child appropriate and avoiding restaurants. +1 to most everything Socal said. That said, I wonder why you aren't interested in places around Los Angeles. With 5 kids you are going to be moving pretty slow and you'll save money on attractions with a lor of eye candy for kids that don't have huge admission costs.

The beaches in California are going to be much less crowded in September during weekdays because school started. Anaheim is near Huntington Beach, which is a wide sandy beach with many lifeguards. There are nice beaches up and down the coast from Malibu to Mexico. Your kids will love to make sand castles and play with the waves all for the price of parking. The water at California ocean beaches is colder than you might think--it comes from Alaska, but by September it will be as warm as it gets. San Diego's Mission Bay has a nice park with much warmer water but the sand is dirtier and there are no waves, however there is plenty of grass for a picnic.

There are many waterpark options. Legoland has a nice waterpark play area that is great for kids like yours. Your 12-year old is possibly going to be bored there but there a few more intense rides. Raging Waters in San Dimas is pretty popular. I think Knotts has a waterpark too.

For the San Diego zoo, there is a membership you can buiy for about $100 that will get a family of four admitted to the zoo and the wild animal park. I'm not sure what they would say about your littlest ones. You can also buy a "Citypass" for Sandiego, and Los Angeles which includes admission to more attractions than you can possibly see in the time the pass is valid. Sea World is also good for kids, but the child tickets aren't discounted much.

Once you get past the amusement parks and the beach I'm not sure that San Diego has more eye candy for children than Los Angeles. The buskers on Venice beach are pretty entertaining and you just pay a few bucks tips. Venice also has Muscle Beach and right next to it is the Santa Monica pier with an arcade and amusement rides. You can also go fishing (kids under 16 dont need a license).

The Long Beach Aquarium has a shark-petting area and a bird area that sucked my kids in as much as the fish. Nearby is the Queen Mary and the harbor. Catalina is jus 26 miles across the sea. San Diego has harbor tours (USS Midway and others) also.

Just plan on getting an early start and don't try to drive too much between places. Traffic is a lot heavier than it was 30 years ago. Disneyland and California Adventure can easily take two days or more. My kids loved Legoland when they were small and wanted to go back again and again.

As for hotels, there are many options. Staying on Disney property is really convenient when you are visiting Disneyland/California Adventure. Other than that, it doesn't really matter, if you have a car, as long is you are in the general area.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
There is a Residence Inn in the Placentia/Fullerton area which is a little North of Disneyland. It's a light industrial area but the property was very nice when I stayed there last year. The rooms were nicely decorated with three flat screen televisions and a full kitchen. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...tia-fullerton/

Make sure you look into the City Pass from Costco. It bundles a 3 day park hopper Disneyland Ticket, Universal Studios, and San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park.http://www.citypass.com/press/releas...at-Costco.html

There is a Knott's Soak City in Chula Vista that based on their website will still be open on weekends during your planned visit. http://www.knotts.com/public/park/so...directions.cfm

Personally I think a day each for Disneyland and California's Great Adventure. The San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park can be a whole day depending on the attention span of the little ones. I have a feeling that the older kids are going to have a much higher energy level than the littlest one.

Depending on how much traveling you have to do before you arrive in LAX or what time you arrive, there is a Residence Inn in El Segundo, just South of LAX. If you stay there the first night or two, you can use that as a base to explore the next day or two around the Santa Monica area, the Venice Beach area, or go further South to Long Beach for the Aquarium or Queen Mary.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:28 pm

I wouldn't bother with Catalina. That would be another day and I don't think that there is a whole lot over there worth the cost of the ferry ride for 7 people. Plenty of things to see on the "mainland".
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoCal
You're skipping L.A. and just seeing Anaheim before moving on to San Diego? You've checked air fares into SNA and LGB, which are a bit closer to Anaheim than is LAX? Those other two airports are also much smaller and picking up a rental car involves a short walk rather than a shuttle bus (at least for SNA).

What do you plan on seeing in the Anaheim area besides Disneyland? Even seeing both the Magic Kingdom (orignal Disneyland) and adjoining California Adventure, 3 days COULD be a lot unless one is used up by your arrival. Will you go to Knott's Berry Farm in nearby Buena Park? Other area amusement parks, such as Universal Studios and Magic Mountain are, of course, far from Anaheim. I'm not sure what else you would do in Anaheim. Before you decide on how many parks to visit, do check on admission prices. This could be an incredibly expensive trip.

Besides the famous zoo in San Diego, there is the wild animal park to the north, near Escondido (run by the zoo), where you can see wild animals not in cages (though carnivores and their prey are kept separate so you don't see "too" authentic an African experience). Seeing the zoo can involve a lot of walking. Your kids are up to that? There are tours but, of course, these add to your total price. Balboa Park, where the zoo is located, has a number of good museums, including a science museum aimed mainly at kids (there's an IMAX theatre there, as well). Again, check total admission prices, including for the zoo. And note that hotels in some areas, such as around the Gaslamp Quarter charge for parking.
We can't fly into SNA or LGB as we are using awards tickets which don't have availability for those airports, thanks for the suggestion though.

We had never really thought about visiting LA itself, having little ones we don't want to try to do too much.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Make sure you look into the City Pass from Costco. It bundles a 3 day park hopper Disneyland Ticket, Universal Studios, and San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park.http://www.citypass.com/press/releas...at-Costco.html
This looks like a good deal, but I am just wondering if Universal studios is a good idea for a 3 and 5 year old, from what I have read it seems more geared towards older kids teens and adults.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
This looks like a good deal, but I am just wondering if Universal studios is a good idea for a 3 and 5 year old, from what I have read it seems more geared towards older kids teens and adults.
I don't think there is much for a 3 year old at Universal Studios.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Way more to do in San Diego than what you listed - also some threads already in this forum with a lot of info.

Have you looked at Homewood Suites?

http://homewoodsuites1.hilton.com/en...ornia/index.do

Liberty Station is a GREAT area, easy access to lots of places -

September/October are the BEST months to visit San Diego.

When your plans are a bit more firmed up, I'll be happy to give your some great places to visit and eat.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Last two weeks of September should be great. Can't answer to conventions and the like, but school starts right after Labor Day in this area, so lighter crowds at amusement parks. Also, unless this year is unusual, the weather in the OC should be quite hot during the day (Sept is often our hottest month). San Diego weather will be much milder, and yes, there's plenty to do there. My favorite of all the suggestions is the Wild Animal Park--highly recommended.

For the OC segment, I certainly wouldn't limit yourselves to staying in the Anaheim area unless you're planning to take advantage of free or low-cost shuttles between your hotel and the amusement parks. If you're planning to drive and park anyway, then there are definitely much more appealing areas. The recommendation of Huntington beach is just one good example.

Something to consider with the amusement parks -- if your budget allows, you night want to seriously consider getting multi-day passes. The parks are huge, the lines are always long (even when the number of visitors is relatively low), and it will almost certainly be hot. As you undoubtedly know, kids tend to get that *wonderful* combination of over-tired and over-stimulated, especially the littlest ones, and it can become exhausting/stressful as the day progresses, and all that waiting around in long lines does not help matters.

It's much easier to visit each one over a period of two days, with lengthy midday breaks for naps, lunches (outside of the parks, where it's much cheaper and more relaxed), etc. You can arrive at the park as soon as it opens (when it's cooler and crowds are light), get a lot done, leave for a few hours, and go back for the late afternoon/evening (more people, but cooler). Alternatively, during the long midday break, one parent and the oldest kids could stay in the park and do some of the (many) attractions that little kids can't do.

Also agree with the comment that Universal Studios is not suitable for your littlest ones. Besides being just generally geared toward adults and older kids, virtually every "ride" has a height limit, and they tend to be a little scary for small kids anyway. Again, if splitting up for a day makes sense, then one parent could always take the oldest/tallest kids to Universal, while the other takes the littlest kids to the pool or some other kid-friendly spot.

For water parks, instead of Raging Waters in San Dimas, I'd strongly suggest going to Wild Rivers in Irvine. It's much closer if you're staying in OC, the customer base is a bit more low-key, and it's more kid-friendly. It's only open on the weekends in September (because school has resumed), but that might make it a good weekend alternative to the big amusement parks.

Other things to do in the OC...

...ride the ferry across to the Balboa Fun Zonein Newport Beach--be sure to visit The Wedge while you're there to see some great surfers going up against the extremely perilous waves (stay out of the water and off the jetty here)

...go on a whale-watching excursion (blues and humpbacks are usually still migrating in Sept) out of Newport or Dana Point harbor

...take the littlest ones to one of the "baby beaches" in Dana Point or Newport Beach (calm, little-to-no waves)

...Boomer's is a local (Fountain Valley, Irvine) mini-golf place that has go-karts, a big arcade, a rock wall, carnival rides, batting cages, etc... even if you skip the mini-golf, it's an especially good place to take the littlest ones thanks to miniature go-karts and several carnival rides designed for very small kids

...take the older kids on a kayak tour of the Upper Newport Bay (aka the Back Bay)

...as previously mentioned, Knott's Berry Farm is worth a visit if your budget/schedule allow for another amusement park

...the Long Beach Aquarium is a good idea, but don't over look Birch Aquarium in La Jolla (north San Diego area)--it's smaller, and bit more low key

...if one parent does Universal with the older kids, the other can take the little ones on the MetroLink (train) from Anaheim area to San Juan Capistrano (up to three kids under age 5 ride free with a paid adult, and older kids are discounted on weekends) to spend some time at the local petting zoo--it's a low-key day, and getting there is part of the entertainment

For uniquely California food options (inexpensive chains that originated in SoCalif, all very kid-friendly), be sure to go to at least once to In-N-Out Burger if you're meat-eaters, the '40s-style Ruby's Diners (original location is still operating on Balboa Pier), and Wahoo's Fish Taco chain (good alternative for healthier food options)...

Finally, many if not all of these offer Auto Club discounts, so if you can't find a better discount option (e.g., Costco as previously mentioned), then be sure to check that out.

Have a great time!

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Apr 30, 2011 at 2:44 pm
Old May 2, 2011, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

OK thanks for all the input and here is what we have booked so far.

Open jaws award ticket arriving LAX 10:00 PM, leaving San Diego at noon 11 days later.

Shuttle from LAX to Anaheim hotel (not booked yet).

5 nights (4 days) Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim Maingate.

Plan on lazing around one day (Sunday) then 3 days at Disneyland.

Minivan rental one-way from Anaheim to San Diego.

6 nights Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar.

Plan on SeaWorld, Zoo, Safari Park, and LegoLand in San Diego. Maybe the aircraft carrier museum or the go-cart racing?

Not sure whether to go with the CostCo Southern California Citypass, or buy separate Disneyland tickets and then get the 5-day San Diego Go Card.

Anyway if anyone has input to tweak or optimize this trip I would appreciate it.

Any good suggestions to spend our first Sunday in Anaheim which can be reached by walking or the ART bus, we won't have a rental vehicle that day, and we don't want to go to Disneyland on a busy weekend, we are just looking for something low-key and relaxing to do that day.

is there a reason to choose either the Homewood Suites San Diego-Del Mar vs. the Homewood Suites San Diego Airport-Liberty Station?

Also any other recommendations on beaches/parks around San Diego that would be good for kids this age, good places to relax and wind down when we are not seeing the tourist sights.

Last edited by trilinearmipmap; May 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm
Old May 2, 2011, 9:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
Is there a reason to choose either the Homewood Suites San Diego-Del Mar vs. the Homewood Suites San Diego Airport-Liberty Station?

Also any other recommendations on beaches/parks around San Diego that would be good for kids this age, good places to relax and wind down when we are not seeing the tourist sights.
The Homewood Suites in Del Mar is well situated for a visit to Legoland and the Wild Animal Safari. It is also close to the Torrey Pines Gliderport (worth seeing) to watch the para-sailers and hang gliders jump off the bluffs above the beach (and the view is to die for). You can also pay for a tandem ride if the winds are favorable. While you are there, next door is the Salk Institute and the courtyard is worth the effort to stop and see this fantastic architectural masterpiece.

There are two markets near the Homewood Suites to stock your room and The Counter (great with kids too) just opened at the Del Mar Highlands Town Center.

You are also close to Torrey Pines State beach/park which has great walking trails and overlooks a beautiful beach.

The disadvantage is that it is further away from the Zoo and Sea World, and a longer ride to the airport (if time is a consideration for returning the rental van and getting to the airport.) Plan on leaving Del Mar no later than 8:30 AM for a noon flight with van return, shuttle to airport and check in. (Hope you are an elite flyer......as check in and security for a party of 7 may add another 1/2 hour.)

Liberty Station has the Corvette Diner there (a must for your kids - a LOT of fun) and a Trader Joes for room stocking. You are also close to the Cabrillo Monument, which would be a real shame to miss regardless of where you stay. Worth seeing and going at low tide for the best tide pools in San Diego. $5 per car admission, very interesting free films, a small museum but worth seeing, the lighthouse is worthwhile - especially if you engage your kinds in a conversation about what it would be like to be raised there as a kid with no-one for miles around.

The Midway is VERY worthwhile. When you are there, the San Diego Harbor Cruise (one or two hour) is also restful and fun as it takes you past some great places, submarines, Naval ships, North Island and under the Coronado Bridge, past the bait station and the floats full of sea lions. The views of San Diego from the water are great. Lots of discount coupons available for both the Midway and Cruise online.

The beach at the Hotel Del Coronado is the best in San Diego. We live in North County (where there are also great beaches) and drive to the Del and pay for parking just to use their beach which is groomed daily and to have access to the pool restaurants at the Del.

There are many community parks adjacent to the Homewood Suites Del Mar (which is actually in a residential neighborhood and not walking distance to anything major) - the desk at the hotel can tell you where these community parks are. The Liberty Station location is near Shelter Island and there are some great park areas there too- opposite North Island so you can watch the military planes take off and land and all the boats heading out the breakwater to the ocean.

You can rent a boat by the hour at Mission Bay and get out on the Bay too (and can also do this in Coronado to explore the Cays).

Right near Legoland is the Museum of Making Music - great for a family especially if we have a freak day of rain or bad weather.

The Birch Aquarium is small but very educational and they also have a new aquarium at Legoland.

Got to tell you it sounds like an awful lot of "tourist" amusement parks and expensive activities (even with passes and cards). There is plenty to do that is fun and cultural in San Diego that does not involve $50-$60 admissions . I just don't know if I would go to the Zoo, Wild Animal Safari, Sea World AND Legoland in the same visit if it meant giving up on some more cultural or "natural" family activities. But then I'm the type that also thinks that all family transportation does not require the compulsory DVD players and entertainment systems and did think looking out the window to see where I was going was fun........

Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited by FrAAmer; May 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm
Old May 2, 2011, 10:10 pm

There is usually some kind of festival going on in the Little Italy area most weekends, no? Those are free and usually fun to walk around in.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:47 pm

Beaches with playgrounds and bathroom facilities.

1) Powerhouse park- del mar
2) la jolla shores
3) moonlight beach Encinitas
Old May 6, 2011, 10:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ck2003
1) Powerhouse park- del mar
2) la jolla shores
3) moonlight beach Encinitas
All good choices. Powerhouse Park is very close to the Homewood Suites in Del Mar Highlands. Grass as well as sand and a snack bar at the beach too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.