Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 7:31 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Any weather guess for daytime Oct 5-7
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
That is still almost 3 weeks away so no real clue. This week, it has been gorgeous in the Valley just below the park so I would guess the park to be clear with temps in the 70s - 80s. No precipitation that I have heard about. That could change if a front comes through. Historically, early October tends to be pretty nice.

There are a few fires burning in the Central Sierra so we are getting some smoke pollution down in the Valley (I tend to be pretty sensitive to that, darn it) but the fires are nowhere near where you are going.

I don't want to mislead you. There is really nothing at Kaweah except the century old Post Office and a nice, quite pretty drive along the North Fork of the Kaweah River through the horse ranches and hill country as far as you want to go. The road eventually dead-ends at the trailhead of the old, dirt wagon track leading into the Park so you will have to turn around and backtrack when you have had enough. Beyond the populated area, the road narrows to a single lane but there are driveways and pullouts every so often so you don't have to go all the way to the end (about a half hour+) unless you want to. Any coffee, stretch and bathroom break will have to be in the community of Three Rivers, back on the highway.

As for easy-to-reach visitor sites on the way into the Park, the usual suspects are all right along the highway - the giant Indian head sign, tunnel rock (you can't drive under it anymore but can park and walk under it for photos) and so on. You might not notice the Indian pictograph site at Hospital Rock Picnic Area but there are signs if you look. Those are all before you will reach the construction zone. After you pass through the construction, you will soon be into the Giant Forest area with all the well-known sites.

If I hear anything regarding weather or road problems before the 5th, I'll post a note here. Have a nice trip.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks once again. Mostly concerned about snow, as our vehilce does not take chains. Also this is by far, potentially, the coldest place we will be on our trip of 3 weeks. Could avoid packing parka, gloves, etc. SO, thinking daytime weather under 50 for extra packing.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranles
abmj-jr

Thank you!

We will follow your directions, no Mineral King. The map we received in the mail, talks about your car hoses being eaten by the local critters anyway! We will give 3 rivers and Kaweah at try...a bit more our style in any case.

Oh, how I love the members of FT!!!

Years of early giving are really paying off.

ranles
It's true, the area is well known for local critters eating car hoses, but typically only if you leave your car parked for a longer period of time, at least overnight. In that case, folks who know bring a length of chicken wire to put around the bottom of their car.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by ranles
... Mostly concerned about snow, as our vehilce does not take chains. Also this is by far, potentially, the coldest place we will be on our trip of 3 weeks. Could avoid packing parka, gloves, etc. SO, thinking daytime weather under 50 for extra packing.
Sorry to take so long to respond but wanted to get a bit closer to your dates.

I think your chances of needing tire chains or parkas is nil. We have been in a heat wave of near historic proportions. In the Valley, we have had temps in the 100f+ range for over a week. Earlier this week, it was 101 in Three Rivers, for cryin' out loud! Temps in Giant Forest have been 80-90f daytime and 50s at night. More shorts and tee shirt weather than parkas.

The extended forecast is for the heat wave to break some time this weekend with a couple of scattered thunderstorms. Those will only be a concern for possible lightning strikes and resultant fires. By next week when you plan to arrive, forecasts for the National Park are clear and sunny, daytimes in the 60s-70s and cool nights in the 30s/low 40s. No precipitation. I'd say just about perfect shirtsleeve weather. Bring a jacket for those after-dinner walks and campfire programs.

Have a great visit!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:57 pm

Ok, oops!

I hope Ranles checked the weather before departing this am. An unexpected storm has rolled in and is predicted to cause thunderstorms in Giant Forest with snow showers higher up. Temps in the 40s / 30s at night.

Welcome to October in the Sierra.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:33 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I have posted our Trip Report and picture link

FATflyer- Cathaven was well worth the stop. We stayed til they were closing the gates! Recommended. See our pictures by going to the link in Trip Reports and view pictures #75-86

abmj-jr- Yes we did get some weather, even a dusting of snow. Lots of road closures, especially the one you commented about. We posted our Trip Report and a link to our pictures. The ones from Sequoia are numbers 13-74
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I read your report. It seems you turned lemons into lemonade and had a good time despite a few bumps in the road. (I know, mixed metaphor )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.