yosemite - where to stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

yosemite - where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
I really enjoyed the Awhanee, but the price was so steep it may be a once in a lifetime experience. It was very late in the season and there was a heavy snowfall, so not much to do except relax in the lobby with the big fireplaces, so it was ideal for the occasion. The restaurant was very good too, from what I remember.

The room was forgettable, except that some sort of racoon looking animal sneaked in and stole our chocolates! But we got some more.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
Smile

Thanks people for all the suggestions - after a lot of vacillation we have booked what sounds like a very nice room at the Yosemite Blue Butterfly Inn at El Portal. It sounds good and has had a huge number of positive reviews in Tripadvisor. Just outside the gates of the park so hopefully an ideal base. Anyone stayed there?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:20 pm
cwc

We stayed at Ahwahnee in the cabin during winter. There are 2-3 cabins have their own fireplace and firewood deliver daily to the room.

We also stayed in the Curry village log cabin (with bath) and the stoneman room befor. If you want to go cheap, but MUST have bathroom (like me) Stoneman is the best deal.

Do not expect 4season, it is a national park afterall, but with the view and close proximity to all the hikes, you really can't beat staying INSIDE the park.

At the end, if you are not planning to have a physical exhausting day like we did (moonlight snowshoes walk, climbed half dome etc). Staying inside the park might not worth it for you.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by malcolmcampbell
Thanks people for all the suggestions - after a lot of vacillation we have booked what sounds like a very nice room at the Yosemite Blue Butterfly Inn at El Portal. It sounds good and has had a huge number of positive reviews in Tripadvisor. Just outside the gates of the park so hopefully an ideal base. Anyone stayed there?
Sorry -- Late to this thread, but you've made a correctable mistake. For your first trip to Yosemite, you should (must) be in the valley. This means the Lodge, Curry, or the Ahwahnee. I would note that all of these places are within walking distance to one another. Much happens after dark in the valley, most of it around the Lodge. You will miss it all in the commute to/from El Portal. I would stay in an unheated tent without a bathroom before I would move to accommodations outside the park, and I’m high maintenance. Wawona is dull, so don’t consider that.

Note on the Ahwahnee: I and others would put this hotel in the FS class and unique in that it is smack in the middle of a national park. It is on Andrew Harper’s list. The history is fascinating. Get the guided tour if you can. Note that it was built backwards. That is why it looks so odd when you approach it. All of the pictures you see are of the back. Kubrick modeled the lobby of the Ahwahnee for the movie 'The Shining'. I have stayed at the Ahwahnee, but prefer the more social Lodge. I dislike Curry, but I have bad childhood memories from Curry. During the winter, Curry Village does not get direct sunlight ever, so it is FREEZING.

I’m confused by the Mammoth suggestion in a previous post. The only way to get to Mammoth from the valley floor is through Tuolumne Meadows. That isn’t a 30-minute drive (3 hours?)
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
a quick feedback - the blue butterfly was fine and the commute to the park was not a problem - on day one we managed a trip round the valley with lunch at the hotel , then a drive to glacier point which was amazing, plus a walk to mirror lake and the waterfall- not sure I would have wanted to stay at the hotel - the public rooms were full of non residents (like us) having a gape. By the end of the day we were to exhausted to sample any night life. Day 2 was up through the trioga pass to lee vining with a few stops en route - also amazing.
I think the only advantage in staying in the valley would be if one wanted to do one of the long hikes with an early start but my wife thinks that walking is a really bad invention!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
The Awahnee is pretty much better than most Four Seasons - none of the resort type facilities but the actual rooms better.
You must have been staying at a different Awahnee than the one I've stayed at several times! This hotel is priced like a luxury hotel due to location, location, location. But rooms and service are more like a Crowne Plaza.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
You must have been staying at a different Awahnee than the one I've stayed at several times! This hotel is priced like a luxury hotel due to location, location, location. But rooms and service are more like a Crowne Plaza.
+1
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:20 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
In the past I've stayed at two hotels in El Portal that are fairly close to Yosemite Valley, the Yosemite View Lodge and the Cedar Lodge. Of these the YVL is nicer and closer to the park but also more expensive. I would happily return to either of these when lodging in the valley is too expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.