Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest country in the world?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:57 pm

Programs: 1K, Marriott Gold
It's how you choose to travel

As some of you have mentioned, getting out of the major cities and tourist areas makes a huge difference.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by zcat18

I can only assume that places like Somalia, Zimbabwe, and DRCongo might be cheaper, but the tourist scenes in those places (with the possible exception of Zimbabwe) are probably limited, to say the least.
Somalia, Sudan, Djibouti, Congo, Tajikistan...weak tourist scenes, indeed. But for travelers...!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Riga was quite expensive when I visited last year !
I did Riga a few years ago, their currency was the same as the pound at that time. So it was $2 for 1 lat. Very expensive!. They have a great restaurant i like there, Vincents.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1K , Delta Gold
Laos is quiet inexpensive
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:13 am
Suspended

Hi..

Malaysia, Indonesia were good places to spend valuable money with hope and safely..
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Last October we stayed in Turkey. The room cost £2 per night including breakfast for 2.
Lovely location too, right on the promenade @ Marmaris

If we had wanted to stay further away, maybe 0.5 KM from the beach we could easily book an apartment (sleeping 4) in a complex with swimming pool etc for as little as £1 per apartment per night.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by grancasa
I have been living in Peru for the past year, living in a semi rural town, eating in, at about $80/month. You can travel here, stay in hotels/trek/eat at good restaurants for about $1000/month.

Near me in Cusco, the nice restaurants run about $10/entree, but we are talking places that could compete in Manhattan or London, the food in Cusco is really worth it.

Check out the Mileage Run forum for cheap flights out of LAX/WAS-Lima for around $340 ai RT, and book through the Peruvian version of Lan (look into changing your internet settings to fool their website into thinking you are in Peru, it is often done) for Lima-Cusco ai RT around $120. Come see the magic of the Andes!
Thanks for the info and welcome to FT.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: 1-k spg gold
Laos is inexpensive, also I believe that Budget travel magazine listed Panama as one also. Never been there. Cambodia, out beyond the tourist areas are also very cheap.
As a note, the most expensive place we visited was Switzerland.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Somalia, Sudan, Djibouti, Congo, Tajikistan...weak tourist scenes, indeed. But for travelers...!
A traveler being someone who sits around and is bored?

Having recently comeback from Kyrgystan I don't see rural Kyrgystan as any cheaper than the destinations mentioned earlier if you are paying for things out of your own pocket.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:10 am

Yeah I found that most places are inexpensive as long as you're not in the major cities or tourist areas and if you're fortunate enough to get a guide/friend that speaks the language you should have no problem finding a great deal.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: none
Cheapest

Wall Street Journal says its.... Asuncion Paraguay.
But you will need a Visa.
Been there.
Not much to do. Its land-locked and hot.
But the British Pub is fantastic.
$3.00 big pitchers of local beer.
Great food.
dbase
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:14 pm

+1 for Laos
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS Gold, UA 2P, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dbaseworking
Wall Street Journal says its.... Asuncion Paraguay.
But you will need a Visa.
Been there.
Not much to do. Its land-locked and hot.
But the British Pub is fantastic.
$3.00 big pitchers of local beer.
Great food.
dbase
Hunting outside Asuncion is incredible. Free food that way to if you're into hunting. Bolivia, Ecuador and Jujy, AR are pretty cheap too and much cheaper than Peru if you wan to see the ruins.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jvquarterback
Hunting outside Asuncion is incredible. Free food that way to if you're into hunting. Bolivia, Ecuador and Jujy, AR are pretty cheap too and much cheaper than Peru if you wan to see the ruins.
we passed/drove through Paraguay coming in from Iguazu via Asuncion and onto Salta in Argentina, stopping at the ruins of Trinidad (world's least visited UNESCO heritage site).

Had some great cheap food and drink in Asuncion, but there was not much to do there.

EU citizens do not need a visa.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: AS Gold, UA 2P, SPG Plat
I like Salta as well. A little more expensive than Jujuy, Bolivia and Paraguay, but worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.