Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

I'm in a long distance relationship, need cheap flights!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm in a long distance relationship, need cheap flights!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Can't the girlfriend come see you now and then? I'm certainly no advice columnist but if you're the only one doing the traveling you might want to think about this carefully.
Originally Posted by gglave
He's a Kiwi, so presumably he can visit the UK without a visa, whereas it might be more complicated for her to regularly visit Lebanon.

Doesn't mean they can't 'meet in thee middle' though
They could meet in France one trip, Italy the next, then Greece . . . this way they both earn miles for future travel.

Last edited by Italy98; Feb 11, 2009 at 5:11 pm Reason: added text
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Can't the girlfriend come see you now and then? I'm certainly no advice columnist but if you're the only one doing the traveling you might want to think about this carefully.
I would rather do all the traveling because I would earn more miles in my account. If the relationship lasts, we would have many miles to travel together. If, however, the relationship fails, I would be able to drown my sorrows on some beach!

Good luck AAAZ and welcome to FT!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:43 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Welcome to Lebanon!

I think you have a lot of sound options here and I don't have much to add. London is a very popular destination for a lot of Lebanese people (large community there). BMI and MEA have a duopoly on that route, so not sure how discounted those fares can be.

Anyway, if there is anything you need while you're here in Beirut, please do let me know .
Old Feb 12, 2009, 5:50 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Open Jaw
I would rather do all the traveling because I would earn more miles in my account. If the relationship lasts, we would have many miles to travel together. If, however, the relationship fails, I would be able to drown my sorrows on some beach!

Good luck AAAZ and welcome to FT!
I do believe for a relationship to work, especially one that is long distance, there has to be a sharing of the responsibilities to include travel. If she is as serious about you as you are about her then she should be willing to assume some of the burden. Give, give, give does not a relationship make.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Italy98
I do believe for a relationship to work, especially one that is long distance, there has to be a sharing of the responsibilities to include travel. If she is as serious about you as you are about her then she should be willing to assume some of the burden. Give, give, give does not a relationship make.
I agree with you completely. I was just saying that I would perfer to do most of the traveling.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 1:10 pm

I agree. I know you may have heard some things about long distance relationships, but as the old saying goes, 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'
There are plusses and minuses to a LDR.

I often advise my European friends to credit the miles to a US based program, (esp US airways), it's easier to earn to redeem travel to/from europe from a US based program, as opposed to Flying Blue, etc.

You'll be 'flying blue' with those dreaded N fares on AF.

Last edited by meFIRST; Feb 12, 2009 at 1:16 pm
Old Feb 12, 2009, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I would not recommend to "meet in the middle" as then in addition to the flights for 2 people they have hotel expenses.

It's also not less expensive to book a flight to FCO, FRA, CDG than going to LHR.

I understand how complicated it is. For the same reason I shuttle between LAX and FRA about 25 times a year

The travelling etc is on me but when we go out for dinners etc it's her part to contribute as well !
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by meFIRST
I agree. I know you may have heard some things about long distance relationships, but as the old saying goes, 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'
There are plusses and minuses to a LDR.

I often advise my European friends to credit the miles to a US based program, (esp US airways), it's easier to earn to redeem travel to/from europe from a US based program, as opposed to Flying Blue, etc.

You'll be 'flying blue' with those dreaded N fares on AF.
I understand that it is easier to redeem travel with a US based program, but is US that much easier than UA? Will CO be a good choice once it is part of *A? What do you think?

OJ
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I understand how complicated it is. For the same reason I shuttle between LAX and FRA about 25 times a year
Oh my! I do EWR-ORF constantly -my sailor is stationed down there right now- but those flights are usually cheap, and more importantly, SHORT. I'm in awe of LAX-FRA!

Sad fact, we've been together for over 7 years but we've only lived in the same state for 9 months. The airlines love us, I'm sure.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wck4
Sad fact, we've been together for over 7 years but we've only lived in the same state for 9 months. The airlines love us, I'm sure.
Thats sounds well !

I guess the airlines HATE me as I never pay more than 300$ for an overseas flight due to compensations, VDB, miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.