Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest transport from Luton to Stansted Airports in London

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Cheapest transport from Luton to Stansted Airports in London

I will l be traveling from Geneva - London - Iceland at the end of this month. My flight from Geneva arrives at London's Luton Airport in the morning and from there I will need to get myself to Stansted Airport to catch my plane to Iceland that evening.

I will have about 6 hours to get from one airport to the next, but what would be the best way to go about doing that? It seems to only take about 90 min to take an express bus directly from one airport to the next, but I was thinking to make my way slowly and stopping off somewhere interesting on the way. Would I be better off going directly just to be safe? And if so would the express bus be my best option?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
I think going direct from Luton to Stansted would be the least risk option overall. The National Express bus is going to be the easiest and cheapest way. I think it is about £11.

An alternative could be to take a bus into central London instead, explore a little, and then take another bus from London to Stansted. Both journeys take about 90 minutes so that might give you a couple of hours in London.

www.easybus.co.uk can be very cheap on both these routes (if you booked in advance), and it could even work out a little cheaper than going direct on the National Express bus. You could probably leave your luggage at Victoria bus station while you explore.

You could also take the train to London and then on to Stansted, which could be faster than taking the easybus buses (but not as fast as the direct LTN-STN bus), but this is going to involve lugging your cases between two train stations in London and is more expensive, I think in the region of £25. You could check timetables at www.nationalrail.co.uk.

Last edited by abfab; Sep 3, 2008 at 7:24 pm
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:02 am

With "only" 6 hours max between flights you really do need to go direct between airports
Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a direct train from Leicester (45 mins from Luton by train) to Stansted, and that's where I would stop given unlimited time. However, it does take 2.5 hours, so that'd only leave you with two hours at best in Leicester.

If I had 6 hours between my flights, I'd take the direct bus to STN, hop on the train to the nearby village of Stansted Mountfitchet (5 mins) and have a nice, long lunch in one of the local pubs before heading back for my flight.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful answers! It's true, 6 hours in travel time is not that long. I would probably be wise to get to Stansted, like graraps said. One other thing, after Iceland I will be back in London for some days and will be seeing the city when i get there. I have been hearing about the "Oyster Card". Would this be the card I would get to purchase my ticket between airports and if I chose to take the train into downtown Stansted for a few hours? Or is this only good for downtown London and the immediate surrounding areas?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:36 am

I don't think that the Oyster card would be useful for the route you suggest. It's like a temporary credit card, except that you have to put money on to it and it debits as you used the card; the danger is that you would have money on your card unused and not be able to get it back.

I would strongly advise the direct bus service between the two airports ... it may take longer than you think to reclaim your luggage .......... on my most recent flight between GVA and LTN my baggage took ....... 2 hours to arrive ... three other flights bags were off loaded before those from the flight I took!!! And the route can be a bit dodgy if there is heavy traffic. I would strongly advise getting to STN as soon as you can, but frankly although Bishop's Stortford is a lovely market town (I lived there for 17 years), the local public transport between the town and the airport is not particularly frequent (I think half-hourly) and a taxi will cost you at least £16 each way.

Stansted Mountfitchet probably does not have enough to merit the journey (SORRY to those who live there) unless you have small children who would like to play on the reconstructed fort.

Stansted Airport is also sadly known for its delays in passing through security controls, but once you do so, there are plenty of shops (including Hamleys, Dixons, a bookshop, Smiths, a posh shoe shop, Boots (chemists) and Glorious Britain (souvenirs), so time passes quite quickly (and there are plenty of places in which to eat ...... inc Wetherspoons, Caviar House, ?Garfunkels or equivalent and cafés.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
Stansted Mountfitchet probably does not have enough to merit the journey (SORRY to those who live there) unless you have small children who would like to play on the reconstructed fort.
I by no means suggested that Stansted Mountfitchet is an exciting place. It clearly is not. However, it does have a couple of pubs serving proper English fayre at reasonable prices. The train journey only takes 5 minutes (the train station is just at the airport basement, so no long walks to get to the terminal) and a trivial amount of money. I'd much rather kill time down the pub as opposed to a noisy budget airport terminal with people sleeping on the floor.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:05 pm

The trains to Stansted Mountfitchet are not particularly regular ... but I DO agree that the pubs are good! Still, I'd play safe and stay at the airport ... I think that MissM will be arriving after all the sleepyheads have been roused by the airport cleaners and security staff! I'd spend my time in the main part of the airside shopping area, and only go to my gate when called - I think gates are allocated 1 hour before the flight is due to depart. Just my opinion ... MissM needs a stress-free journey, if possible, but with the carriers and airports involved, I agree it's a long shot!!

PS I understand that BAA has an agreement with concessionaires that their prices must be the same as charged on the 'High Street', and that certainly holds true for the food outlets at STN.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MissM
I have been hearing about the "Oyster Card". Would this be the card I would get to purchase my ticket between airports and if I chose to take the train into downtown Stansted for a few hours? Or is this only good for downtown London and the immediate surrounding areas?
Oystercards are used on the Tube, trams, buses, DLR, London Overground and some National Rail services in London area only. They are a very easy to use pre-payment system, and MUCH cheaper than paying cash for tickets in the London area, so I'd highly recommend you check them out for your time in London itself.

However, Luton and Stansted are well outside of the London Transport area, so an oystercard will be no use when traveling to/from or in the surrounding areas of these airports.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by abfab
Oystercards are used on the Tube, trams, buses, DLR, London Overground and some National Rail services in London area only. They are a very easy to use pre-payment system, and MUCH cheaper than paying cash for tickets in the London area, so I'd highly recommend you check them out for your time in London itself.

However, Luton and Stansted are well outside of the London Transport area, so an oystercard will be no use when traveling to/from or in the surrounding areas of these airports.
For all you need to know about best value transport in London, check this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=855681

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.