Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shipping cross-country tips needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier
Originally Posted by otamxuan
My parents just moved from LA to Houston and they shipped a couple of boxes via USPS parcel post. The boxes arrived today but one of them had some of its content stolen: 2 embroidery paintings, some framed pictures and our diplomas. Even weirder was the fact that there were strange clothes stuffed into that box. Even though these objects are not expensive, they definitely have high emotional values. Is there anything we can do? Do you know how we can file a complaint or force them to open an investigation?

Thanks!

Sorry to hear of the stolen items. Maybe someone is now setting up a dentistry practice with the diplomas ....

I would definitely file a report: http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/mailthft.htm

Who knows - the items may turn up...
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:12 am

Programs: Nobody at this point :(
Originally Posted by RatherBeSailing
Sorry to hear of the stolen items. Maybe someone is now setting up a dentistry practice with the diplomas ....

I would definitely file a report: http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/mailthft.htm

Who knows - the items may turn up...
Thanks for the link...I was looking for something like that but couldn't find it.

lol about the dentistry comment
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by oopsz
Even domestically.. the rate is called "Media Mail". It's extremely cheap, but only for books and magazines.
This is wrong on a couple of levels.

1) Magazines do not qualify for media mail. They can be sent as bound printed matter, which is a bit more expensive, but media mail cannot contain advertising (unless it is incidental to the publication itself, such as a book advertising other books by the same author).

2) Media mail is not otherwise limited to books. Pre-recorded audio, computer software, training manuals, and many other "media" materials can be sent via Media Mail as well.

I moved from Nevada to the upper Midwest about eleven years ago using this sort of method. Eligible materials went via Media Mail (or Book Rate, as it was known then), and everything else went either via UPS Ground or with me on a Greyhound. When all was said and done, I was out only a couple of hundred dollars - and that included my bus ticket.

Mike
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Originally Posted by LGA
Suitcases! Will you have friends visiting you who would be willing to check a suitcase or box (or two) of your stuff for you?

Also, you might look into UPS or FedEx ground rates if you (or a friend) works for a big company which gets a significant discount.Oh, and if you know someone who works for JetBlue, I know their employees get a big discount for FedEx, but it might only be for express service and not ground...
This is a great tip, most companies that use one particular shipper get good discounts, the problem is some dont pass that on to employees shipping things
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by backtoCA
Thanks for response to my earlier question regarding loding during my cross-country trip.

A side-track question: since I am moving from NY to CA, I need to ship quite a bits of stuff (primarily books, desktop, CDs, etc approx 15 boxes- no furniture) cross the country. Wondering if you have any tips on shipping inexpensively. USPS? UPS? Fedex? Moving company?

Any info. is highly appreciated.
USPS Media mail allows you to ship books, CDs, DVDs for a lower rate than parcel post. Each package is limited to 70 pounds however. I used ABF U-Pack when I moved cross-country. They also have a freight service for smaller than apartment sized loads.

If you're going to even come near a moving company I highly suggest that you read www.movingscam.com before you even call one.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 2P
the USPS flat rate boxes are awesome for books and generally heavy object. you can load it up with gold bricks if you want it will still be $7!
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:49 am

Programs: UA; DL;
Ca-nyc-ca-nyc

Yup, I've done this trek three times. Here's my advice... UPS ground for what you absolutely can't part with. Sell the rest and use the money to buy new stuff at the other end.

Last edited by wanderlust_jules; Jul 10, 2006 at 8:50 am Reason: capitalization
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:43 pm

I've found that FedEx Ground is usually cheaper than UPS Ground, and is often even cheaper than USPS Parcel Post.

Nothing compares to USPS Media Mail for stuff that's eligible, though. It's super cheap.

Unless of course you're already shipping a pallet of stuff via Roadway or some other freight carrier, in which case adding a couple boxes of books might not really change the cost of the whole pallet.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:40 pm

I don't know if they'll do just a bit of stuff, but my favorite moving company in the world is Delancey Street Movers. They are based in SF, their rates are among the cheapest around, their professionalism is superb, and they support a good cause.

http://www.eisenhowerfoundation.org/...y/training.htm

Between us and our friends, we probably have done 20+ moves through them. Nothing but great things to say.

And they did my x-country move from NYC to San Francisco.

If you're not in a hurry, maybe they could toss your stuff into one of their x-country trucks. You clearly won't need your own truck, but I don't know how price competitive they'd be for just a bit of stuff...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.