Some help requested with Europe travel... lcc's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some help requested with Europe travel... lcc's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I warned an american who worked for me last year to pay atention to LCC, he got well and truly stuffed carrying over weight stuff he really did not need to, but he thought that he ca get away with it in USA so should be ok in europe, he paid thousands - yes thousands
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:26 am

I don't think any LCC charges more than about 5 Euros per kilogram for excess luggage. So was he carrying more than an extra 100 kg above his allowed allotment?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 4:17 pm

Programs: Currently without any status :(
Do you have a rough time for this? I will perhaps go to the bahn ticket station and might ask them if there are alternative routings or prices for your trip.

Also you need to take into account that Muc into/out of the city is an hour each with 8.80 Euro to pay each direction on the S-Bahn if you fly.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN, TK*G, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Sixt Plat.
first of all, I would like to point out that DBA is no LCC!
Is is Germanys 2nd largest Carrier and it even works out well to offer connecting flights for airlines like ETIHAD etc. so they do stick to schedule and they do offer free food and drinks (even LH does only offer free drinks in Y). DBA is a all-Y carrier though.

And, even for a tall man DB 2nd class gives way more space (especially width and seat-row-distance) than any other carrier in Germany.
By no means may they compare at all to Germanwings (4U), easyjet, hlx or RyanAir which do put in as many seats as FAA-rules allow.

By the way, I would refuse to board a HLX a/c as they are the only carrier in the entire EU holding the 9 a/c 737 that are not equipped for CAT III landings.
So they do cut expenses towards safety.

Considering a flight in comparison to DB makes only sense under a timely manner. TXL-MUC does make sense, but MUC-VCE is really of no use.
A train is in fact the way to go, as all other posted already.

TXL-MUC by train would be around 6 hours. But as stated above, the S-Bahn-ride into downtown in MUC is 8.80€ and takes around 45 minutes.

Best wishes, and enjoy your time in Europe,

HamburgAround
Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
Thanks for the info hamburg!

I am looking forward to the trip - now I need to start working on an itin for each city!

I am so excited about the train as I love trains - I hope 2nd class wont be a mistake.

I booked a hotel for Venice - so basically teh entire trip sans a couple trains in UK is booked!
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, TK*G, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Sixt Plat.
You're welcom Allen,

on www.db.de there you may find a lot of different prices for train trips. in case you travel over a weekend and stick to the chosen trains (as in general with planes) you can get a 50%discount and you can purchase a ticket online, print it out and there you go.

try a search for "surf % rail international". that's offering different trips (varying by the starting point) to various european destinations starting from 19€ return!!!

In case you need any further help, just pm me or ask in here.

Instead of flying BA from LHR to TXL you may consider taking 4U (www.germanwings.com) to Schönefeld (one of the other two airports in Berlin). It must be available for less than 180$.

Best wishes,

HamburgAround

Hamburg - home of the US-soccer-team during world championship 2006 in Germany
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:57 am

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Originally Posted by HamburgAround
Hamburg - home of the US-soccer-team during world championship 2006 in Germany
And they're already preparing the guest room: http://www.nola.com/sportsflash/socc...orylist=soccer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.