Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Student Tickets to New York

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Cheap Student Tickets to New York

Hello!

I'm a High School student (16 years) and I would need a very cheap fare from Louisville to New York on the 6/3/06 One Way. It shouldn't be Long Island because it is too far away.

I was already researching on the main sites but there was nothing really cheap. I am planning to spend about $150. Does anybody know some sources where you get Student tickets cheap? On the common search machines, it isn't even possible to look for Student fares.

Were would you look for student fares? For ex. Student universe is just for collage students so I have no access to their nice prizes.

Thanks a lot for answers.

Hopefully there is a way to fly cheap.

Roman
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
STA can sell to high school students (www.statravel.com) but their domestic fares are no better than most of the mainstream online sites.

Could always try Priceline or Hotwire and www.biddingfortravel.com ?

btw, Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:39 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Plat
Try studentuniverse.com. If you have a .edu mail address through your high school then you are okay. They have daily fare specials to different desitinations. Sometimes their fares aren't better than Travelocity though....
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by civicmon
STA can sell to high school students (www.statravel.com) but their domestic fares are no better than most of the mainstream online sites.
and their international prices seem to be higher than mainstream sites
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird232
Hello!

I'm a High School student (16 years) and I would need a very cheap fare from Louisville to New York on the 6/3/06 One Way. It shouldn't be Long Island because it is too far away.

I was already researching on the main sites but there was nothing really cheap. I am planning to spend about $150. Does anybody know some sources where you get Student tickets cheap? On the common search machines, it isn't even possible to look for Student fares.

Were would you look for student fares? For ex. Student universe is just for collage students so I have no access to their nice prizes.

Thanks a lot for answers.

Hopefully there is a way to fly cheap.

Roman
For $146.00USD you can fly midwest airlines, but you would need to fly a day earlier

Flight: Midwest Airlines flight 1068 operated by SKYWAY AIRLINES D/B/A MIDWEST CONNECT on a Beechcraft B100 Turboprop
Depart: Louisville, KY (SDF)- Fri, Jun 02 10:25
Arrive: Milwaukee, WI (MKE) - Fri, Jun 02 11:05

Flight: Midwest Airlines flight 3 on a Boeing 717 Jet
Depart: Milwaukee, WI (MKE)- Fri, Jun 02 13:40
Arrive: New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA) - Fri, Jun 02 16:40

If you must fly on 3rd June

AMERICAN AIRLINES
OPERATED BY AMERICAN EAGLE 4452
SDF Louisville 06/03/2006 01:15 PM
MIA Miami 06/03/2006 03:39 PM E

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1072
MIA Miami 06/03/2006 05:54 PM
LGA New York 06/03/2006 08:55 PM 757

Total Price 197.10 USD

Cheers

Last edited by sadiqhassan; Jan 6, 2006 at 4:03 pm Reason: Additional Information
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Hello thanks a lot for answering so fast and helpfully!

I already looked at STA Travel but they are often more expensive than all the other sites. Student universe has really good prizes but my school doesn't provide any .edu e-mail addresses, so I won't be able to register there.

@sadiqhassan, where can I find the fare with this great prize. When I go to midwest.com they don't have this flight for the same amount of money.
Thanks a lot for you inconvenience. I appreciate it a lot.
This is really a great prize on day earlier. Hopefully the Boeing 717 isn't too old.

is www.biddingfortravel.com a good site to try for getting good fares?

Thanks have a good day

Roman
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:54 am

Hi,

Not sure why you are unable to get that price.

I just chose, "Louisville, KY" and "New York, NY" one way, June 2nd, 1 passenger.

Then you get a fare of USD129.00+tax which comes to USD146

Cheers
Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:27 pm

www.midwestairlines.com

It's there...
Old Jan 8, 2006, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Hello!

This is me again, sorry. Thanks a lot I found it on Midwest.com. The 146dollars are really a great deal. The only issue is that I can’t fly on this date. I have to be in New York on the 3th. The American Airlines price is acceptable too, maybe I should take it.
Would you suggest waiting? Do the fairs usually go down the closer the departure date is?
Thanks a lot for your inconvenience. I appreciate it a lot.

What do you think about www.biddingfortravel.com?
Is there a chance to get a flight?
Are the prices usually quite the same?

Thanks a lot and I’m sorry for asking again but you might have some tips.

Greetings Roman
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:04 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I know you said Long Island is out, but CONSIDER it. The LIRR isn't THAT much of a pain in the arse and if you're looking for absolute cheapset, its the way to go.

SWA to Ithica.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird232
Hello!

This is me again, sorry. Thanks a lot I found it on Midwest.com. The 146dollars are really a great deal. The only issue is that I can’t fly on this date. I have to be in New York on the 3th.

Greetings Roman
Isn't it annoying how that ALWAYS seems to happen Saturday is the ONLY day of the week that midwest doesn't fly to Louisville, any other day and you would be fine. Oh well, life is like that sometimes
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Yeah life often isn't fair gg.
So do you suggest booking now or later?

Thanks
greetings Roman

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Isn't it annoying how that ALWAYS seems to happen Saturday is the ONLY day of the week that midwest doesn't fly to Louisville, any other day and you would be fine. Oh well, life is like that sometimes
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:44 am

Speedbird, there's really no way to know whether the fares will go up or down between now and June.

Other options June 3 SDF-NYC:

Studentuniverse has an early morning US nonstop for $152.13 if you can find a way to buy it (i.e., somehow get a ".edu" e-mail address).

At expedia.com, if you put in a multi-destination trip "SDF-MDW + MDW-LGA" all for 6/3/06, you can get a choice of 2-stop Continental/ATA combinations for $160.40 (either via CLE on ExpressJet or via DTW on NW metal).

And of course there's always WN SDF-ISP for $111. Tough to beat that!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:53 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by cur
I know you said Long Island is out, but CONSIDER it. The LIRR isn't THAT much of a pain in the arse and if you're looking for absolute cheapset, its the way to go.

SWA to Ithica.
Ithica ???? maybe Islip... can't take the LIRR to Ithica..
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Ithica ???? maybe Islip... can't take the LIRR to Ithica..
Or WN for that matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.